Lasers 2018

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Thought we could get some feedback on what people like and dislike about event so far .

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Im here ,if your 18u player looking to be seen .(and I've talked to a few coaches that are looking) your screwed fields arnt even being touched for 18s and moving them to turf at 5 when the rains scheduled back.Thought since recruiting rules changed there may be more focus on them vs keeping younger coming back next year,hoping these events were about the girls.
My Dd is signed concerned for others fyi

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Within 2 hrs the 18u fields started to be worked on for a 3 o'clock start.Got 2 in ,Elimination bracket was eliminated in a attempt to get all pool games in .Unfortunately some teams have still not completed there first game as of Sat night.Hoping all goes well for the 18s tommorow lol

McGinger

Reaction score
The weather issues happen. The lack of communication and organization from the tourney staff is inexcusable. Fast pitch Showdown texts you with updates constantly, did so last week at Berliner, with similar weather issues. To drag a team up there for a 9:30 am game when they know good and well those fields aren't playable is just absurd. Communication goes a long way. There was none today.

Last edited:

flyer59

Reaction score
Within 2 hrs the 18u fields started to be worked on for a 3 o'clock start.Got 2 in ,Elimination bracket was eliminated in a attempt to get all pool games in .Unfortunately some teams have still not completed there first game as of Sat night.Hoping all goes well for the 18s tommorow lol
Little disheartening to sit for six hours watching nothing done to your field, then getting it ready for another age group to play a 3 o'clock game on. All this when you have not played a game yet?

flyer59

Reaction score
The weather issues happen. The lack of communication and organization from the tourney staff is inexcusable. Fast pitch Showdown texts you with updates constantly, did so last week at Berliner, with similar weather issues. To drag a team up there for a 9:30 am game when they know good and well those fields aren't playable is just absurd. Commutation goes a long way. There was none today.
Agreed!! Girls at the park for six hours before you are even told what time you are going to play. Finally told we are playing at 4 o'clock (first game of tournament, originally scheduled for 930). Go to the field our opponent is there, but they are waiting to play a game before ours. Those running the tournament don't know where the team that is supposed to play is? We have to tell them that they are playing in a game on another diamond? We are told they have 35 minutes left in their game then they will be over to play. Finally convince them to go ahead and play the game since we are both there instead of waiting. If not for that, we would not have got a game in. Some 18s haven't played a game at this point. Then, we are told we are going to play again at 630. The diamond assignment is changed four times. Finally moved to a turf quad where three diamonds sit empty?? Of course, just as the rain is coming in again. Lasers usually run a well organized tournament (our eighth time playing). They seemed a little overwhelmed, and I completely understand the weather but you have to attempt to adjust the entire tournament and move fields to accommodate everyone. At his point for us it is just about playing games, daughter has already played a year of college ball. All of the girls should have an opportunity to be seen, not just a select age group. Communication goes a long way!!

Basehitgirl

Reaction score
It was a mess today. 14u game that was scheduled at 9:30 played at 5pm. Only got one game in today, and one game yesterday. Meanwhile 16u teams I know played 5 or 6 games. I think the schedule definitely should have been adjusted so other teams got some games on the turf. It is stupid to keep a team hanging all day for one hour long game.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
Apparently 16u got special treatment so the college coaches they pay to come up for there camp can watch games. Pathetic!!!

Skeeter

Reaction score
Our 16u team only played 3 games and we were on turf, the turf field we played on Sat was empty from 2-5pm with no games. It was very unorganized and communication was terrible.

Last edited:

Pioneer01

Reaction score
On a different note... Who else thinks that dream seam balls are absolutely CRAP?!?! Not totally blaming the balls for our subpar play cause I understand that the opponents are using the same thing but when your team is built on power and the balls are coming in warped and mush,SMDH... On to the next one

lewam3

Reaction score
On a different note... Who else thinks that dream seam balls are absolutely CRAP?!?! Not totally blaming the balls for our subpar play cause I understand that the opponents are using the same thing but when your team is built on power and the balls are coming in warped and mush,SMDH... On to the next one
Dream Seam's are used on Rawlings and Worth balls. These balls are used by OHSAA and NCAA. Do you mean they were not round? or soft or something like that? Please explain warped and mush.

Pioneer01

Reaction score
Dream Seam's are used on Rawlings and Worth balls. These balls are used by OHSAA and NCAA. Do you mean they were not round? or soft or something like that? Please explain warped and mush.
I'm saying that yes they are soft and yes I do know that the compression is the same in all balls... They just break down VERY FAST and the warped or out of round I speak of As result of breaking down IMO. Ever play with Sterling balls..GREAT GREAT balls that hold there compression again IMO. I wasn't the only people complaining, heard rumbling elsewhere.

mamoneyoh

Reaction score
It was a mess today. 14u game that was scheduled at 9:30 played at 5pm. Only got one game in today, and one game yesterday. Meanwhile 16u teams I know played 5 or 6 games. I think the schedule definitely should have been adjusted so other teams got some games on the turf. It is stupid to keep a team hanging all day for one hour long game.
The 14u's were only going to play pool play games and then were completely cancelled for Sunday. Yet the 10u's got to play tournament games. It makes absolutely no sense why you play the younger ages and not the older girls. Not to mention we had to sit around all day to finally get on a field at 5pm. The game was to start at 4 but there were no umpires to be found.

Stedman00

Reaction score
i can echo the terrible communication and lack of effort to get field ready and not using fields that were available. And i know field maintenance is not controlled by Lasers.

sure it rained friday and screwed everything up. But hard to get caught up, when turf fields sit idol of hours or dirt fields have the first attempt to get ready at 2:30 on Saturday. Field 6 for an exact example. I sat waiting near that field from 8:30 to 2:30 and not 1 rake was applied to that field in that time.

My team was moved 3x saturday afternoon, sent to field to play 'right now' when we get there the game in progress has 30 mins left and there's another game waiting to play before we can play ' right now'. Sent back to another field that was supposedly empty, yet when we get there, the game in progress literally started less then 5 minutes previous.

We will not return to this tourney next year.

DW@SBC

Reaction score
I'm saying that yes they are soft and yes I do know that the compression is the same in all balls... They just break down VERY FAST and the warped or out of round I speak of As result of breaking down IMO. Ever play with Sterling balls..GREAT GREAT balls that hold there compression again IMO. I wasn't the only people complaining, heard rumbling elsewhere.

If a ball is out of shape you simply ask the umpire for another ball.

sbcraz

Reaction score
14u the largest division in the tournament got cancelled at 8am Sunday Morning. Mean while all other divisions were playing in the nice sunny weather all day Sunday. Also all other tournaments around Central Ohio were playing there tournaments on Sunday. Berliner shouldn't schedule all these teams to play on there fields if half the fields can't recover from a storm that happened 12 hours ago. Our team only completed 2 games and we payed for at least 7. We payed ~$400 dollars a game. I looked on the website and I see no refund policy. Poor very poor. Very disappointing for our team in the first year at Laser nation.

wpaguy

Reaction score
We were not a Lasers this year, but we kept talking about how we should have went back this year. There was 2 big "Showcases" in Western PA. We got lucky Friday and Saturday and got 5 games in. However after the rain late Saturday night into Sunday morning. The IUP showcase was cancelled. Turned out to be a very nice and sunny day until 7:00pm. This is the second time in the last couple years that IUP called it off on Sunday and they could have played games from 12:00 to 6:00 easy ...Same thing happened with ASA Cranberry. I'm starting to think some of these events are to big and they either don't have enough umps or field crew to manage rain. Would love to see True Showcases only have 14+ and up ....or start to limit the amount of teams. Guess we were lucky to play 5 ?

Last edited: