LOOKING FOR ASSISTANCE FOR INITAL EMAIL TO COACHE'S

Edda

Reaction score
DAUGHTER DECIDED TO CONCENTRATE ON SOFTBALL AND WANTS TO PLAY IN COLLEGE. SHE'S LOOKING FOR EXAMPLES OF INITIAL EMAILS THAT ARE SENT TO THE COLLEGE COACHES OF THE SCHOOLS THAT SHE IS INTERESTED IN. DAUGHTER HAS A PLAYER PROFILE AND VIDEO THAT SHE WILL ATTACH TO THE EMAIL. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Last edited:

jpkeating

Reaction score
DAUGHTER DECIDED TO CONSENTRATE ON SOFTBALL AND WANTS TO PLAY IN COLLEGE. SHE'S LOOKING FOR EXAMPLES OF INITIAL EMAILS THAT ARE SENT TO THE COLLEGE COACHES OF THE SCHOOLS THAT SHE IS INTERESTED IN. DAUGHTER HAS A PLAYER PROFILE AND VIDEO THAT SHE WILL ATTACH TO THE EMAIL. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Look at the top of the Softball players and parents discussion form there is a sticky at the top

Edda

Reaction score
Look at the top of the Softball players and parents discussion form there is a sticky at the top
I looked in the thread jpkeating and I don't see actual emails, just info to put in an email. Daughter is looking for actual emails that she can personalize for her. Since this is her first emails, she want's to make a good impression and would like to see the layout and formatting of how other girls EMAILS that have been deemed, extraordinary.

Last edited:

jpkeating

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don’t think anybody is going to post exactly what your looking for.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The discussion on the forum is pretty thorough. Coaches don't expect perfection. They do want to see genuine interest from the student athlete in the school.

Reaction score
DAUGHTER DECIDED TO CONSENTRATE ON SOFTBALL AND WANTS TO PLAY IN COLLEGE. SHE'S LOOKING FOR EXAMPLES OF INITIAL EMAILS THAT ARE SENT TO THE COLLEGE COACHES OF THE SCHOOLS THAT SHE IS INTERESTED IN. DAUGHTER HAS A PLAYER PROFILE AND VIDEO THAT SHE WILL ATTACH TO THE EMAIL. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

I wouldn't let her type in all caps...and I would CONCENTRATE on the spelling.

There are a lot of good resources out there if you just do a Google search.

Who are you (name, school, travel team, position, etc) , what do you like about the school (major, location), what do you like about the program (success, coaching style), contact information.

Edda

Reaction score
I wouldn't let her type in all caps...and I would CONCENTRATE on the spelling.

There are a lot of good resources out there if you just do a Google search.

Who are you (name, school, travel team, position, etc) , what do you like about the school (major, location), what do you like about the program (success, coaching style), contact information.
Thank you...

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Do a search for thread JoeA1010 has posted on or started ,all ways good info from our friend Joe.

JoeA1010

Reaction score
Thanks, okiedad.

Here is roughly what I would do...

Coach X (get the name right and don't just say "Coach" with no name),

My name is xxx xxxx and I am a 2021 grad at xx High School. I am a pitcher/first baseman. I play travel ball for xxx.

I am interested in xxxx University (get the school name right; don't say University when it's College, etc.) because of your Biology program (or whatever is generating your interest). I also have done research on your school and your softball program and I like (whatever you like about the school and softball program). I realize you can't contact me directly because of NCAA rules (if this is true), but I have listed contact information for my coaches below and in my attached player profile. I know that you are able to talk to me if I call you on the phone, so please contact my coach(es) if you would like for me to call.

Also, if you have time, my skills video is here (link). I will be sure to send you my tournament schedule each weekend this summer. I have attached my high school schedule, although I understand the chances are low of you making one of my high school games.

Good luck on the rest of your season and I hope you can watch me play this summer.

Thank you,
Name
Position
Grad year
High School
Travel Team
Phone number (just in case you are old enough for us to call, or if you are writing to an NAIA or D3, they can always call you).
Contact info for coaches

Xrayaries

Reaction score
I have assembled a guide using resources from several locations. Our emails are very similar to the above. You will find what actually works best for you as time goes on. Good Luck

Attachments

• Guide to first contact email.pdf
    333 KB · Views: 71

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
I have assembled a guide using resources from several locations. Our emails are very similar to the above. You will find what actually works best for you as time goes on. Good Luck

Should place that in Resources as well.

Teeball

Reaction score
I would not worry so much about writing the perfect letter. Just make sure to include the basic information Joe included above. Your Daughter is not going to be recruited by an intro letter. Just get her video out there to schools she is interested in and regularly attend their camps. Good luck !

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Tell them you neither of you can wait to get away from daddy ball and that you heard they are looking for "elite" 10 year olds to give between $0.00 and $35,000.00 to.

That will get their attention.

kate07

Reaction score
DAUGHTER DECIDED TO CONCENTRATE ON SOFTBALL AND WANTS TO PLAY IN COLLEGE. SHE'S LOOKING FOR EXAMPLES OF INITIAL EMAILS THAT ARE SENT TO THE COLLEGE COACHES OF THE SCHOOLS THAT SHE IS INTERESTED IN. DAUGHTER HAS A PLAYER PROFILE AND VIDEO THAT SHE WILL ATTACH TO THE EMAIL. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
I do not think that writing a letter to college coaches will do much. Instead, have her attend camps at colleges she is interested in. If you're going to a tournament, have some copies of her "softball resume" (name, high school, academic and athletic achievements, stats, etc.) so coaches can pick it up at their leisure (we used to do this a lot during travel ball at tournaments we knew coaches would be at). Also, have copies of your daughters game schedule with it. Trust me, a coach will be much more interested in your daughter if she is on the field showing what she can do than if she emails him/her. If you daughter has the talent/attitude, a coach will see it. I had never once sent a coach an email, just attended camps and tournaments, and was being scouted by Ohio State, Ashland, Cleveland State and Mount Union.

Hope this helps!

Maxx

Reaction score
College coaches do not want template email letters.......

Xrayaries

Reaction score
Wow! Letters are a vital part of putting your name in the very large hat of recruits. Since sending out emails over the past 8 weeks we have received several responces. Some have included their entire summer schedule including camps, tournaments and coaching events they will be attending. How is that not vital?

kate07

Reaction score
Wow! Letters are a vital part of putting your name in the very large hat of recruits. Since sending out emails over the past 8 weeks we have received several responces. Some have included their entire summer schedule including camps, tournaments and coaching events they will be attending. How is that not vital?
It's not vital because you don't need to go through all of that to get your daughters name out there. You also don't need to email a coach to get all of the information you just stated above (schedule, camps, etc.). You could also attend camps and games of colleges your daughter is interested in (if possible) and after you have visited the campuses, email coaches and let them know you attended and a few things you liked about your visit. And in all honesty, the emails you have received back are probably the same exact emails those coaches are sending to all of the players who email them. If emailing coaches is something you absolutely think you should do though, keep it short and to the point. Coaches don't want to read through your daughters entire life story. Other than that, attend college games, camps, and tell your daughter to keep her grades up and watch her attitude/character on and off the field.

Last edited: