Maddy Dyer commits to...

mike_dyer

Reaction score
...winning the division 2 state title in powerlifting next spring.

She's deadlifting 305 for sets of 5x5. That's 35 pounds heavier than her 1 rep max from this spring.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
And also to eating ice cream.

She's good at it.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
She pulled it off today.

Walked away with it, really.

Smashed a big ole fat bowl of moose tracks like a boss after.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
scdl.jpg

'Twas a pretty good day.

She's terrible at bench pressing, but her squat and dead lift are getting there. She was ahead by 25 pounds going into the dead lift. Her plan was to break the state record for 125 and pull 315, but she backed off and played it safe. Didn't want to drop it and put up a zero.

There's a lot of stupid **** that goes on at these things. The knee wraps and squat suits need to go. The people there I talked to swear they add more to your lifts. If the idea is to get stronger why not just do that instead?

There was a lot of kids there who looked like they needed a treadmill worse than they needed a squat rack. That's the way it is though.

I know this. She could always hit the ball really well, but it started flying A LOT further when she started picking up heavy things.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I like the "they should only do bodyweight exercises!!!" crowd. They act like the kid is going to have a chemical reaction and explode if their skin comes into contact with steel.

By their logic doing pull ups and push ups -- pulling the entire weight of your body and pushing around 70% -- is much safer than pulling or pushing the same weight in steel.

I wonder if they think pulling and pushing the same weight in feathers or delicious taffy is safer or more dangerous than bodyweight exercises..

CoachB25

Reaction score
Mike,

Congratulations to your daughter. That is a fantastic achievement. My daughter hit the weight room hard in college. I hated what it did to her body. She just recently got back into what might be considered normal clothing. My wife took her out this past weekend to celebrate and buy her new clothing. She runs every night trying to reshape her body. She is even talking about a marathon now. Still, she enjoys lifting in another capacity now. It can be addictive and is great for my dd in so many other ways but including knowing the dedication needed to get to the next level of competition. Again, congratulations to your daughter on her achievement.