Markwort Speed Sensor Softball

Has anyone ever used one of these? How accurate are they? Is it worth the $30? Thanks!

I would be interested in knowing how effective they are also. ?I had never heard of one until I read your post. ?:eek: What a great concept if it works. ?I have an 11 year old (daughter) pitcher and we would love to be able to pull that out once and awhile to check preogress.

I have one (christmas gift), but I haven't used it yet. Still in the box after a year. My DD pitcher just switched to the 12 inch ball and I am not sure I want to "burst" her bubble yet, or be disappointed if the speed doesn't register where we believe it should be. I don't know how accurate it is, so I am curious too. Maybe I will break it out of the box this weekend!

In playing with these, I've found that there are a lot of ways to get an inaccurate reading - the #1, however, is if you have a catcher that stabs at the pitch (50mph becomes 60mph), or falls away from the pitch (60mph becomes 50mph). If you overcome that problem, the market research that I've seen says that most of these type of products tend to register 3-5 mph either side of the actual.

I have used one in the past. My observations are that the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Also you have to set it for the number of feet the pitcher will be throwing. Also, ours lasted about 40 throws before it totally died. I wouldn't waste my money if I were you. Spend a little more and get a Bushnell gun for less than $100. It is a lot more consistent.

Just remember to tell your daughter that this ball will not tell her how hard she hits it LOL ?My dd found out the hard way. :'( The speed guns do work the best.

bballcoach- where can you get a Bushnell gun for less than $100? The cheapest I saw them were $140.

We had one of these as well--it was useful for incentive for awhile, but it wasn't too accurate and it died after about 50 pitches--would recommend saving your $30 for some other softball equipment (or gasoline to travel to tournaments ;D)

I'm not to familiar with the product that your describing so I have no input. I got a Bushnell gun as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago and it cost close to $200. This may be veering from the thread a little bit but here are my thoughts anyway.
I coach varsity high school ball, travel ball, and summer rec. ball and have used this $200 dollar gun less than a dozen times. Why? For the most part, knowing how fast you throw is not going to make you a better pitcher. Alot of times it only discouraged my pitchers because they thought they threw faster or they wanted to break that magical #, whatever that may be.
Use it a the beginning of your fall workouts to give you a starting point. Stress speed, strengthening drills and routines in the fall offseason then check your speed at the end of your 6-8 week workout and measure your results. I personally feel that constant and repeated usage of a speed measuring device may do more harm than good. JMHO

Lady Knight,

You certainly don't want to use it all the time, but certainly if you are evaluating players it helps. My daughter gets checked twice a year in October and February with a juggs radar and thats good enough for me.

We do not even have the starting point. ?Every sports complex I call says they don't have a gun and that the patron brings their own. ?
We just want a general idea of speed. ?We are starting on movement pitches and have been told that certain speed must be maintained for certain pitches to be effective. ?She is pitching with enough speed to have a real noticable change up. ?
Just a curious mom and dad!
Looks like I will be purchasing a radar. ? ?::)

Lady_Knight,
I definately agree with what you said about constant monitoring. That is the best way to crush confidence.