Middle school pitching distance and middle school players questions

VE_05

Reaction score
So I've looked about everywhere but can't seem to find it. What is the middle school pitching distance. I would assume 40' but wanted to see proof first.

Also, can 6th graders play middle school ball or no? I'm afraid our middle school team will have to combine 7th and 8th grade but if a few 6th graders could play then that would be avoided.

Thanks

VE_05

Reaction score
Can you send me a link on that?

Stedman00

Reaction score
it was 40' 2 & 3 years ago when my DD was in 7th and 8th grade.

grabber711

Reaction score
Depends where you play, some are at 40' and some are at 43'. My daughter played on the 8th grade team as a 6th grader, plus pitched almost the whole season due to other pitcher getting injured. It depends on the mentality of the girl.

First2Third

Reaction score
If your middle school team is school sanctioned, the official distance per the OHSAA softball manual is 40 feet. Here is the language and the link:

"1.8) The high school pitching distance shall be 43 feet. For middle school, the required distance shall be 40 feet."
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/sb/girls/sbmanual.pdf

It's at the bottom of page 21 of the pdf, which is as the bottom of page 20 of the manual.

That said, probably half the school-sanctioned MS games we played last year were at 43 feet. It's a rule that nobody really cares about. But, if you struggle to get to 40 feet and you're playing a sanctioned game at a field with a 43 feet rubber, you could pull the rule book and force the change, I suppose.

First2Third

Reaction score
And as to your second question, 6th graders cannot play on a school-sanctioned team. They can on a club team.

"35.4) Students below the 7th grade may not practice with or participate with 7th through 12thgrade students."

This is from the OHSAA General Sports Regulation manual found here, top of page 86 of the manual, page 20 of the pdf:

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/rglts/GeneralSportsRegulations.pdf

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
And as to your second question, 6th graders cannot play on a school-sanctioned team. They can on a club team.

"35.4) Students below the 7th grade may not practice with or participate with 7th through 12thgrade students."

This is from the OHSAA General Sports Regulation manual found here, top of page 86 of the manual, page 20 of the pdf:

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/rglts/GeneralSportsRegulations.pdf

except fot the "OPEN GYM" format where it is ok for the younger ages to interact with the older girls. applies to off season work when an open gym format is used.

FastBat

Reaction score
I haven't heard (or didn't pay attention before now) of Middle School SB/BB because our district (Div. II) doesn't have a team, never has. In our school district, it maybe due to our local Little League program and the district not wanting to compete against each other.

Are middle school softball teams recognized by OHSAA or are all MS SB teams considered clubs?
My concern about MS SB would be risking a year of HS eligibility for my child. Is that possible?

I read the link and the only info I found about 7 & 8th grade was in section 35, on page 85.
My dd is only in the 6th grade so it sounds like no matter what, she isn't allowed to be involved with any school sports because they are reserved for only 7-12 grade.

FastBat

Reaction score
except fot the "OPEN GYM" format where it is ok for the younger ages to interact with the older girls. applies to off season work when an open gym format is used.
What about 6th graders? Is it ok, if the coach allows it, for 6th graders to go to open gyms? Or are they reserved for 7-12th graders?

jelli9764

Reaction score
Some Middle School teams are sanctioned by OHSAA. If this is the case then only 7th and 8th graders can play on the team. In our league we have 10 middle schools. 5 of the schools have "School" teams and 5 have "club" teams. The club teams can do whatever they want as far as who plays. Also the kids that play on a school team in MS are no longer permitted to attend anything with their travel team, but if the MS team is club they can still go to their travel teams practices. Also some MS club teams have 5th graders just so they have enough to field a team. School teams are restricted to 17 games, 2 scrimmages and only 7th or 8th graders can play on the team.

Pitching Rubber = 40' for MS

Anyone can participate in open fields, open gyms, weight room, etc (k-12) as long it is takes place during the off-season. Once Feb 20th comes around 6th graders can't be with 7th/8th graders or they will lose a year of MS eligibility. Also, 7th/8th graders are no longer permitted to work out/practice with 9th-12th graders or they will lose a year of HS ball.

All of these restrictions also help explain the other thread about HS softball that ask why the numbers are down.

Hope that helps - Mike

lewam3

Reaction score
Our MS games were played at the HS, so the distance was 43'. No one ever complained.
I remember a few years ago when Brownsfan's DD was in 8th grade, she pitched a game from 37 feet because the Rec department put the plate there. No joke!!! It was the third inning before anyone bothered measuring the distance, and by then the opposing team just wanted it to be over. I think she had 21ks that game.

FastBat

Reaction score
Back in the day, long, long ago, the HS pitching distance was actually 40 feet. They didn't move back to 43 feet until college. Most pitchers dominated! Moving them back a few feet gave the batters a chance and helped the fielders showcase their talent.