Midwest USA Elite Select

Discussion in 'Friendlies & Scrimmage' started by 1stbasecoach, Nov 19, 2018.

1. 1stbasecoach

1stbasecoach Member

2. Stedman00

Stedman00 Active Member

Tough time of year to have qualifier in Ohio for any teams 14u and higher. Good times for 10 and 12u though.

3. 1stbasecoach

1stbasecoach Member

Correct. Michigan (where most of our girls are from) just changed the travel vs school ball rule in Michigan, they are allowed 2 tournaments during school ball. What is the Ohio rule?

4. finfan365

finfan365 Active Member

A member of an interscholastic softball squad (any student who has played in a scrimmage, preview or regular season/tournament game as a substitute or starter) sponsored by the Board of Education or other governing board shall not participate in a non-interscholastic program (tryouts, practice or contest) as an individual or a member of a team in the sport of softball during the school’s season (Sports Regulation 7.2)

5. Stedman00

Stedman00 Active Member

Basically, once school ball tryouts start, ~19 Feb, players are locked onto their school ball teams until school team eliminated from playoffs. No practice or contact with travel team. So, essentially, 19 Feb until potentially ~4 June (if they make to state finals)

6. 1stbasecoach

1stbasecoach Member

Do most travel players in Ohio play school ball or just stick with travel? Many of the better players in my area would not play school ball because of the rules. Now school ball will be better.

7. finfan365

finfan365 Active Member

I would guess by the lack of 14u and older tournaments before May 31 that most girls play HS ball or Middle School if offered as sanctioned or in some schools as a club team feeding into the HS team.

8. 1stbasecoach

1stbasecoach Member

Almost all travel players play school ball at the high school level around here, it is only the middle school age girls that decide to skip it.

9. Stedman00

Stedman00 Active Member

in my experience, most still play school ball. it could be because they would have to travel so far for tourneys during school black out period.

10. 1stbasecoach

1stbasecoach Member

Do middle school girls abide by the same rules as high school?

11. finfan365

finfan365 Active Member

Only if the team is a school sanctioned team. Mostly larger schools. Some other schools have what are considered club teams and aren't bound by the OHSAA rules.

12. 1stbasecoach

1stbasecoach Member

I didnt know that