Missed first base? Home plate?

Eastside

Reaction score
1. What is the call if a batter-runner beats the throw at first but misses first base? 2. How about a runner beats the throw on a force at home but slides just missing the plate? 3. Play at home, catcher missed swipe tag but runner does not touch home plate. What is the umpire mechanic for each of these scenarios?

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
No call till either the defender tags the bag or plate (1/2) a tag is made (3) or the runner goes in to the dugout ... that would be an out call.
or if the runner touches the bag/plate that's a safe call...

Here's the Official Umpires signal for these scenarios per the Umpires hand book -
98hk.gif

Last edited:

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
As a side note. Coaches need to be teaching their players to look for missed bags, you never know. They need to be taught that they can challenge this with an ump and not just coaches.

Plus, I believe that if say a runner misses home and goes into the dugout, they will only be ruled out if it is questioned/appealed by the opposing team. The ump will pause to see if a tag of the player or the plate will be made and then rule "safe", however the opposing team can still verbally appeal this and have it reversed. If the next play starts, then runner is safe for good. A very confusing bit of umpire mechanics.
-all this applys to any missed base as well.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Tom - I believe you are correct - It would be an appeal for missing the bag/plate -
I believe it's an automatic out for leaving the field of play though - But, I could be wrong - been awhile since I've read the rule book.

jimhamrick

Reaction score
Your described umpire mechanics are correct. I was surprised t learn this in the high school umpire certification class this year.
As a coach I always watch for an ump to make a "no-call" on a runner missing home and then yell for the catcher to make a tag.
The proper call is for the ump to give a "soft" safe when runner misses any base and D not actively making a play to put er out.

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I had my certification, umped one game and then tore my knee (ACL/Meniscus) up in a practice and never got back to it. I hope to get back to it later on, maybe once my kid is done playing.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Here are the umpire mechanics. They are based on the concept that a runner who passes a base is always assumed to have touched it, until/unless the missed base is properly appealed.

1) (Missed first base) The umpire should call and signal "safe". The defense may appeal the missed base, but it must be appealed before the runner returns to and touches first base (either colored base). If properly appealed, then the runner is out. If not, then still safe.

2) (Missed home plate on force play) Treat the same as play at first base.

3) (Missed tag of runner/non-force play) The umpire should briefly pause to see if either player will immediately try to complete the play (either runner scrambling back to touch home or fielder attempting to re-tag), then call and signal "safe". The defense may appeal the missed base, but it must be done before the runner retouches the plate. If the runner leaves the field with no appeal, then she is still safe, but has lost her right to come back and retouch. She would still be subject to an appeal and would be out if an appeal is made (before the next pitch).

Last edited:

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
As a side note. Coaches need to be teaching their players to look for missed bags, you never know. They need to be taught that they can challenge this with an ump and not just coaches.

Totally agree! So far this year I've got about a dozen games in, and in those games I have seen three or four missed bases. But none of them were appealed, so that was three or four outs left on the table.

I was always taught (as a player) to glance at my base when a runner passes or rounds it to confirm it was touched.

Last edited:

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Here are the umpire mechanics. They are based on the concept that a runner who passes a base is always assumed to have touched it, until/unless the missed base is properly appealed.

1) (Missed first base) The umpire should call and signal "safe". The defense may appeal the missed base, but it must be appealed before the runner returns to and touches first base (either colored base). If properly appealed, then the runner is out. If not, then still safe.

2) (Missed home plate on force play) Treat the same as play at first base.

3) (Missed tag of runner/non-force play) The umpire should briefly pause to see if either player will immediately try to complete the play (either runner scrambling back to touch home or fielder attempting to re-tag), then call and signal "safe". The defense may appeal the missed base, but it must be done before the runner retouches the plate. If the runner leaves the field with no appeal, then she is still safe, but has lost her right to come back and retouch. She would still be subject to an appeal and would be out if an appeal is made (before the next pitch).

Now this is a perfect explanation and easy to follow. Thanks!

Dougk30

Reaction score
I have a question to add to this, scenario came up last night at a baseball game. Bases loaded and batter was walked, runner from third came in and never touched the plate. How would the defense handle that? Tag? Appeal?

Also would like to see the umpires signal for that scenario per the umpires handbook... Cobb

Last edited:

Comp

Reaction score
I have a question to add to this, scenario came up last night at a baseball game. Bases loaded and batter was walked, runner from third came in and never touched the plate. How would the defense handle that? Tag? Appeal?

Also would like to see the umpires signal for that scenario per the umpires handbook... Cobb

There is nothing to signal because no play has been made on the runner coming home on the walk. It is an appeal play, as soon as the runner missed home plate they are liable to be put out on appeal. They can be tagged with comment to umpire about the missed base, they can step on the base with possession of the ball and appeal to the umpire the missed base or they can wait for the runner to enter the dugout, call time and simply make a dead ball appeal to the umpire on the missed base. Baseball has different rules on appeals.