My take on these polls!

It seems that the polls at the 16u level are pretty useless my take is that any of these top 10 teams could beat each other on any given day.

The 14u polls there would have to be some crazy alignment of the planets and moons for teams one and two to loose to any of teams three through ten.

And 12u and 10u well this is where the whole polling actually looks interesting with of course basically the teams with the deeper talent win 90% of the time.

But back in the days on OFC the Polls used to be a hot topic area for those good arguments!

Even the "standard" .... college football polls ... done by professionals with exotic resources, and in the "coaches" poll done by peers ..... are often somewhat useless. Isn't that why everyone wants a playoff? Games are played on the field, not on paper or on electronic circuitry.

These "mythical" polls are simply a more organized extension of all that "banter" from "back in the day" ....

And NOBODY .... is unbeatable.

There are groups that separate themselves, within the age groups, tiers maybe.

16u - there are 4-5 teams above the rest (yep, it's true).

14u - there are the Slammers and the rest, ... agree Red is at the top of that "best of the rest" ... at least that is how I would vote (theoretically speaking ;&). We wouldn't hide in our cars if we saw the Slammers :eek: in our pool though, but then, we would have to play 18u for that to happen (and it isn't happeneing this year). Most of that top 10 are indeed interchangeable - what have you done for me lately?

12u - used to look so BIG when dd was 10u, ... now they look so small. Lasers Gold, then the rest?

10u - Lasers Red then the rest?

If anything I think 10u & 12u has a greater discrepancy and is more top heavy. As they get older things change. Teams diffuse, the less serious quit playing (somewhat), talent gaps tighten.

Slammers are an anomaly at 14u, and don't count - a man, team, kids, families all on an absolute mission "together", with incredible drive, coordination and work ethic.

JMHO ...... :)

The polls are just for fun. I like that it stricks up conversation about teams around the state that we will not play.
It's also neat to see teams on the list that we have played and will play, it makes it interesting.

agree vextreme12 - the value is really in conversation, a reason to track teams and keep news flowing, and stoke some interest. Not much more, mostly just entertainment ....

If anyone would be paying attention to the 14U scores the allignment would be vastly different. I guess it is the same as politics...

Poll's are just for fun, and I really enjoy them. Actually also not that far off for the most part.

johnnies
What are you talking about ?? looks about right

I enjoy knowing who's on top just as I do with all major leagues sports, teams and their statistical leaders, individual stats, Fortune 500 companies, and so on. Just fits a need to know who is or might be the best. All fun and games!! BTW, I don't vote but am a regular client of those threads...

It is fun to see how the polls play out each week. I wouldn't know about many of the teams if it weren't for the polls. They are part popularity or reputation but who cares. If you are ranked on one, polls are great, if not they don't mean anything. :lmao:

yeah really...why don;t you start the scottcilenti BCS poll then.

So when are the Slammers and the Lasers Red going to play? I would love to see that game. The GAPSS tournament will be a great venue for seeing most of the teams in the polls. Then people can decide for themselves about where teams should be in the polls.

slammers and red arent in same pool, perhaps bracket

i figure if more coaches did actually vote, there would be some more legitamacy in the polls than just some casual talk...especially for the 16's where the players are looking to get into college...if u look at the number of views, 10's get all the hits..seriously? i would try and get the votes out by getting ur coaches to buy into it..it's anonymous, so what the hell, right?

If anyone would be paying attention to the 14U scores the allignment would be vastly different. I guess it is the same as politics...

I agree Johnnies... If the people who voted for Barry Obama would have paid attention then he would never would have been elected. :lmao:

Looks like the Slammers and Red will play first round of elimination at GAPSS, unless I'm reading the brackets wrong.

I dont think I ve ever considered the polls for their accuracy.. But here's why I like em. We may not be in the top 10 or 20 for that matter, but I love trying to be the blind squirrel looking for the nut... Or maybe I'm the nut! We all need goals and we would all like to get our team up there... valid poll or not. Not a coach but definately think some should be off the list and some on...but so what.

I agree with Pickledad. No team is unbeatable. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day. For example, in 6/29/09 14U poll, this week's #4 team has beaten the #2 and #3 teams this season. And I just read that the #2 team beat the #1 team, 2-1 today at GAPSS. These polls are just for fun. Every team has an off day. Anyway, congrats to all the teams and families out there who play and support the game of softball.

From the 10u perspective the Nitro and Lasers stand above everyone... but it is interesting each week to follow the top 12 or so and see where they play and how they do. I do vote and wish more coaches would ...

Ringer: just for grins can you tell us how many coaches vote this week per age group?

From the 10u perspective the Nitro and Lasers stand above everyone... but it is interesting each week to follow the top 12 or so and see where they play and how they do. I do vote and wish more coaches would ...

Ringer: just for grins can you tell us how many coaches vote this week per age group?

I am pretty sure that the total number of 1st place votes is how many coaches vote.