NAFA- Fall State Tournament in Goshen

Tim- You ran a very nice tournament in Goshen this weekend.

Our pitcher that got hurt is now out of the hospital.
Her left side of her nose is fractured and her sinus is fractured, plus the chipped tooth and bruising and swelling.

Now- all the parents on our team will be investing in the game face (game mask) for all the infield after witnessing this incident. It was very scary to see this happen. I think all these leagues should all make it mandatory.

Again, great tournament.

I wondered all night about her. The coach from the Westside Thunder 16u as well as he had tears in his eyes right after she was hurt.... as well as I. It is my first priority at the NAFA Winter National Meetings in October to bring forth the idea of making it mandatory in NAFA for the first base person, the third base person and the pitcher.
Nothing worse than seeing a child hurt. Nothing at all in this world even compares to that thought.
If NAFA National doesn't adopt it this year.... I believe that I will here in the State of Ohio. If it cost me teams not coming to my tournaments because I do adopt the facemask rule... then so be as I never want to see a child hurt where a plastic piece was all it took to protect her safety.
You give her my best, please, Ice Mom.

Tim,
I will let the Schmidt family know that you inquired about her.
I believe making it mandatory for all infield players to wear this safety device because I know our coaches have the SS and 2nd base player move in at times.

I did some research on the internet- there does not seem to be many vendors that promote this safety device. Maybe in a couple of years we will see more vendors.

www.heartguardforsoftball.com
is one of the websites.

The face guard while a good idea for corner players and pitchers is not needed at the SS and 2nd base positions. these players have plenty of time to react to a ball hit to them at their positions.

I am all for safety and I have promoted the face guard to all of our younger players (especially pitchers and 3rd basemen). However I am not an advocate of the mask at SS and 2nd base at all.

The heart guard is also a great device.

Ohio Wave-
Our coach calls plays where the SS and the 2nd base players come up next to the pitcher.(Thinking it will be a bunt) Coach would call for a fake bunt and the infields think bunt but the batter pulls back to hit the ball.

You know- years ago the leagues made it mandatory to have the face protectors on the batting helmets to protect against a wild pitch or a hit ball. But there has not been any discussions at that time about the defensive players protection.

My daughter plays Third, SS and 2nd and now she will be wearing one- NO EXCEPTIONS!

I am all for the Game Face/Game mask. I never want to see another player go through what Amanda went through and will be going through in weeks to come.

Keep Amanda in your prayers and hope for a speedy recovery.

CincyIceMom many teams play certin bunt defenses with the SS and 2nd basemen up closer to the pitcher. These are typically slap defenses and not a situation where a coach thinks that a regular bunt may be coming. If that defense was depolyed for a regular bunt situation then it would be very easy for a player to hit right thru that defense. Assuming that the defense is set up that way to defend a slapper then again I see no real need for the SS or 2nd basemen to have the mask on as a pure safety measure. If they feel more comfortable then so be it, but as a practical matter the two postions in the center of the infield (SS and 2nd base) really have no need for the mask and it can actually hinder some plays that they have to make.

The main reason why the corner players need the mask is because the ball can literally get on them instantly with significant power. Most of the plasy that they need to make happen directly in front of them and they happen fast. The middle infielders have much more ground to cover laterally and often have to make plays where they are moving away from the infield such as short pop ups to the outfield. In these instances the mask is cumbersome. Most plays that come to these players allow them plenty of time to make the play safely. Of course there will be bad bounces from time to time and that happens. Its no different then an outfielder running into a hole in the outfield grass while she is tracking a fly ball. She may twist her ankle but should she have worn ankle armor to protect for this one in a million possibility?

In the case of a pitcher I totally agree with them wearing it because they are somewhat defensless after delivering a pitch (depending on their athletisim) and she may not be in the best fielding position.

I am all for the corner players and the pitcher wearing the mask (especially in the youger age groups). However I simply see no point for the middle infielders to wear them unless they are afraid of the ball in which case thewy should be playing a different position.

Also, I have seen some pitchers take aweful shots with no mask on and also with the mask on. I wish the best for Amanda as well. I just happen to think that at some point there needs to be a limit on what we make mandatory and what we promote as a positive safety tool.

We pray for Amanda's Full and speedy recovery, and hope to see her back on the field very soon!

Ohio Wave-
We agree that we want all of our players safe while playing softball. I never want to witness
what I did Sunday. Be safe and good luck in future games.

Welcom,

How is Amanda today? Was she able to back to school? Or is she out for a while?

The main reason why the corner players need the mask is because the ball can literally get on them instantly with significant power. Most of the plasy that they need to make happen directly in front of them and they happen fast. The middle infielders have much more ground to cover laterally and often have to make plays where they are moving away from the infield such as short pop ups to the outfield. In these instances the mask is cumbersome. Most plays that come to these players allow them plenty of time to make the play safely. Of course there will be bad bounces from time to time and that happens. Its no different then an outfielder running into a hole in the outfield grass while she is tracking a fly ball. She may twist her ankle but should she have worn ankle armor to protect for this one in a million possibility?

In the case of a pitcher I totally agree with them wearing it because they are somewhat defensless after delivering a pitch (depending on their athletisim) and she may not be in the best fielding position.

I am all for the corner players and the pitcher wearing the mask (especially in the youger age groups). However I simply see no point for the middle infielders to wear them unless they are afraid of the ball in which case thewy should be playing a different position.

Also, I have seen some pitchers take aweful shots with no mask on and also with the mask on. I wish the best for Amanda as well. I just happen to think that at some point there needs to be a limit on what we make mandatory and what we promote as a positive safety tool.

I am new to the site but have coached and studied the game for some time. I have mixed feelings about field masks but sort of wonder why these are being considered in softball and not for boys in baseball. I know the base line is shorter and the reaction times required may be undeveloped in some age groups and individual players, but the problem may lie with the aluminum bat and the level of athleticism expected from players. Face masks don't fix that.

Is there a gender issue here? Girls need to have face masks to stay pretty. Boys not so much? I do know that college coaches generally do not favor masks and are looking first at athletes not "girls" that need face protection. What is the incident of injuries in softball versus some other sports where girls blow their knees out eight times more often then boys? Shouldn't the focus be on training and developing athletes first? Are we trying to be too protective with mandatory face masks? Would a better approach be to slow things down in preparation and strength and agility training before putting players in fielding situations they can not handle? I am not trying to be divisive (leave that to Rove) I am wondering what is the best for developing athletics in girls and the game of softball.

Amanda will be out of school I heard for a while.
She is doing better every day.

Thanks for inquiring.

Charlie
I think the main reason is that girls play so much closer to the plate then boys do. So why not use it if you can ?

I am sure someone else has the exact timing, but it's not a matter of baseline length, but positioning. Most times, my DD plays closer than 40' to the hitter at P or either corner. In contrast, my nephew is 90' away and plays behind first quite often.

The reaction time required is much quicker therefore the need for extra protection at times.

I have heard coaches say it is a crutch - but it beats spending an extending period in the emergency room - regardless of the odds, IMHO.

Charlie
I think the main reason is that girls play so much closer to the plate then boys do. So why not use it if you can ?

I understand that and have calculated the needed reaction time at given distances from the point of release and obviously it is a very quick reaction. But get this response from a college softball coach on the issue:

"God forbid we just starting doing reaction drills with the corner players or taught our pitchers not to throw it over the middle of the plate. Many people get hurt playing softball. I watched a girl snap her ankle in two sliding into 2B once. Maybe we should make it rule that sliding is not allowed. Give me a break."

Are field masks just an easy way out? I really am just wondering, and I mean this in complete respect to a different view and with sympathy for the injured player. What might be inadvertently taught to players by reacting that the answer to infrequent injury is a mask rather than any number of other options? I have seen girls with masks on whose first reaction to even a ground ball is pulling her head up. First of all, I am not inclined to put that player on a corner because I interpret her play as being afraid of the ball and if not corrected will result in letting the ball consistently play her. A mask might not fix the players problem and might make her complacent rather than a better player. Part of the answer might be a longer development period for younger athletes and being more selective about who gets to play where and when.

I fear that by making girls wear face masks could undermine their development as athletes especially if all a coach is coaching is position and play and not training and long term athletic development. Maybe stop putting girls into positions they are not ready to play, maybe studying the bats used at certain age levels (why are 13 year olds using the same $300 bat as college players if the infield can't deal with the ball coming off of it?). Maybe include in off season training some reaction, agility and speed drills along with strength training.

Finally, and, again I do sympathize with injured players especially this last incident, what are the overall incidences of serious injury in softball compared to other sports? Does the frequency of face injury reasonably require adopting field masks? The answer may be "yes" but do we know that yet? Do we adopt them as required because one out of 1000 players get injured? Again, the torn acl for girls is an epidemic. It happens 8 times more with girls than boys and high school ****** and basketball players often have had multiple surgeries ... by high school! I recall a local ****** tournament where there was a almost continuous flow of ambulances carting girls away with knee and ankle injuries. Is the answer to require prophylactic leg braces? I personally don't think so. The answer might be back off the continuous on-field play and begin strength training to strengthen quads, glutes, and hamstrings and get girls to lower their center of gravity when they run. Add plyometrics when they are fit enough to do them and agility drills very early on and injury rates are likely to decrease; so say athletic training journals but I don't see local coaches changing practice schedules.

While I understand the desire to protect our kids and our investments in orthodontists, and worry about my daughter as well, treating athletes first as girls and second as athletes won't develop either the sport or the athlete. Maybe we are pushing girls into situations they are not ready to play in ...

Thanks and I do not mean to come off sounding inconsiderate or contrary .. just trying to make a point...

Charlie,
While I agree reaction training is very important. I can assure you that some of the balls I have seen hit back at the pitcher couldn't have been defended with all of the reaction training in the world. My daughter is 14u and pitches and wears a mask. I think as they develope physicaly in the older age groups and when the mound goes back 3 more feet as they get into college the need for the added protection goes away. I just don't know that any 14 year old kid no matter how athletic could protect herself against some of the bats. I know in men's softball they now allow you to stand 6 feet behind the rubber to pitch. I have seen men take shots to the head that they couldn't defend. The bats are the problem. JMHO

Our coach, Cincy Static 12u Black, requires all infielder's to wear a game face. Don't wait for some regulation to require it. Should be up to parents and they should require them. They don't interfere with with fielding ability. I played hockey and we wore helmets with face guards. At the time the pros didn't, thought it would interfere with their play. Now they all wear them. Some adults just can't handle change. JMHO and I have one on everything! :D

Thank you for all the wonderful thoughts. I have been gone since Monday afternoon and it was quite a surprise to see the topic being discussed by the people of softball. I think it is great we can talk and look to protect the girls. Thanks again for your thoughts. Please keep them coming as this is going to be an issue at the National meeting without my imput as I just got the agenda for the National Meeting today and it was on the list for Pitcher, first and third base persons. SS and 2nd base is not included so far.

I require all of my players to wear game face masks. In fact our organization purchases them for our girls. I was present to see that young lady get hit with that shot. I was sick to my stomach... $40 ... that is what they cost... if you run your daughter out on that field without one... you are a fool!!!

I am the coach of the Westside Thunder 16U team. I had two girls get hit in 2007... it won't happen again!!! I do not have any kids on my team, but I care about my girls. I am not going to go onto that field and pick them up and try to explain to their parents what happened to their beautiful young lady. Yes, my team got laughed at this year for all wearing masks... I don't care... I see it as we are the smart ones.

If you would have been present on Sunday afternoon... I couldn't believe it... the bats are not getting any softer!! It's a shame that a beautiful young lady has to get hit for people to wake up!!

Amanda, I wish you a great recovery and hope to see you playing this game again. I love fastpitch and I hope you will get back on the horse... it's a better game with you in it!!

Ken Hammitt

The cost of $40.00 is correct, I was just in Kansas City and picked up my DD's mask at Linedrive. com's outlet store, they have several.

We wish you well Amanda!