Need advice on fence distance, heighth

We're going to be putting up an outfield fence on our high school field next month. Old OHSAA rule book I have shows recommended distance of 185-235', with 6-8 foot high fence. I had in my head somewhere that 200' all the way around was "standard" distance. Any newer rules, thoughts or recommendations anyone would care to make on this? Also, does anyone see a major issue with only having it be 4 foot high to save cost?

4' high fence is fine. The 6'-8' is a recommendation but an additional expense that is not really that necessary. I would however put the yellow "tile" on the top of the fence for safety reasons. A warning track would be another safety feature I would recommend.

I like 185' left and right field corner-195' center. But then again, that is my preference.

Use a field liner to lay a "fence line" to get a perspective on where the fence would be.

Johnnies ... thanks especially re: fence heighth. Can I ask what you like about the shorter (185-195) distance ... more home runs over the fence? playing outfielders in more?

If I was putting in a field I'd set the fences at 200' all around. This then fits the "legal" distances per NSA rulebook for all age brackets from 10U through 18U (don't have the ASA book with me but I think they are about the same). Much smaller and it will be too small for the 16U and 18U high school kids.

Four foot height would be OK, but definitely put the yellow tubing to cover the top edge. Warning track would be great ... have played on a few fields with them and they really help the outfielders know where they are.

We are doing the same and our field is 200' all the way around. I would recommend a 6' fence rather than the 4' for safety reasons. The poly cap vinyl top is also a must.

Coachjwb,

It adds a level of excitement to the games. Every team that I ever coached - travel and HS - loved playing on a field with fences from 185-200'. As far as home runs, you actually get more on fields that do not have fences (line drives that roll to the next county on dry hot days)

Our fence is 185 all the way around and 6-feet tall. A red wind screen on it makes it seem even closer. It makes for a very realistic chance for a home run, but it's not like balls are flying out left and right. I think there were maybe 7 or 8 home runs in about 12 home games last spring.

Maybe, if going with a 4' fence instead of a 6', you should go a little long... ie maybe 205' or 210' instead of 200'. Would still be cheeper, and require about the same umph to get it over. Just a thought.

DuaneW.