New mom to travel softball

Brookesmom

Reaction score
How do I go about getting my 14 year old daughter on a team? I heard tryouts are over but is there anyone who knows of a team who might need her? Or when is next tryouts?

Supertech

Reaction score
What positions does she play? Where are you located and are you willing to travel? We are looking for as we may play as many as 4 games per day and need fresh bodies. There is also a thread for teams looking for players on this website. Please reply or PM me with your info.

noobmom

Reaction score
I'm also a mom new to travel ball. When girls are moving up from 10u to 12u, do the tryouts take the ball size difference into account? Do coaches look at pitchers only with the 12" ball and 40' distance? Or do they also test the new 11yo with the small ball and shorter distance they're used to? Wondering if a pitcher needs to practice with the big ball a lot before tryouts.

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
Moving up to 12u, the old rules and smaller ball are a distant memory. You need to start working with a bigger ball and pitching at 40 feet as soon as possible! We/they are not interested in what your daughter can do at 10u. Especially if they are coming from rec.

wow

Reaction score
Biggest transition is from 10u to 11u....Usually takes about 6 to 9 months to regain the same speed as 11 inch... The sooner you can make the transition the better. Just have patience.

If you have good fundamentals at 10U that will show during the tryout.

daboss

Reaction score
Most any kid will have some kind of issue in the transition so don't panic. The ball size is 1 of those issues but 12u plays with a 12-inch ball. No need to champion for anything else so accept it and get ready. The good news; she won't need to change anymore. lol. To be truthful, most girls seem to struggle more with the extra 5 ft. of distance than the ball size. The release point changes and if a 10u kid is borderline with her level of skill this will definately have an impact. Bigger ball, move her back, and plenty of bucket time for mom and dad will get her ready.