New PGF rule?

snoman76

Reaction score
The Play:
Runner attempts to steal second, throw from catcher is money, SS catches ball (runner about 2/3 the way to 2nd) moves up line approx 2-3 feet and tags runner out. Call on the field was Shortstop Obstruction runner safe.
Explanation:
Runner must have access to all 4 corners of the base and if the runner has to deviate her path whatsoever then its obstruction... This is, according to the umpire, a new rule.. My guess is that they are misunderstanding this "new rule".

Comp

Reaction score
Unless something has changed recently, PGF uses NFHS rules with some modifications to the pitching, as in no step back allowed. There is no new rule about obstruction in NFHS. Once a defensive player has the ball in their possession they can block the runner all they want.

snoman76

Reaction score
The umpire explained that this "new rule" just started and that all 4 corners of the base have to be available to the base runner.... I get that if there is no play at the bag.

Lets assume there are runners at first and second, soft ground ball to the pitcher, she turns and throws to 3 for the force.... IF this rule is actually a rule how is it possible for the girl playing 3rd to get the out? She has to step on the bag which means taking away a portion of it thus obstructing the runner from getting there.. This question was asked..... answer was "if the runner has to deviate her path in any way its obstruction regardless if there's a play there or not"

The group of umpires at Stingrays were something else. I sure hope it was a new group that was going through training and I hope they have a lot more training sessions because they definitely need it.

Comp

Reaction score
More than likely you had an official that is over thinking the rule. No, there is no new rule on obstruction it is exactly the same as it always has been. There are 2 parts to the rule, 1 a defensive player not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding a batted ball and 2, they cause some impedement of the runner without possession of the ball. Both of these requirements must be met in order for there to be obstruction. Obstruction is one of those calls you almost have to see in person to be able to make any kind of opinion on the call. I would agree the umpire is correct in his statement the entire base must be available to the runner until the fielder is actually in possession of the ball, but the fielder just being there is not in itself obstruction. The runner must be impeded in some manner prior to the fielder having the ball, and when a runner is still 20' or more away from the base I just do not see that happening. And as already stated, once a defensive player has the ball they can block the base and impede the runner all they want.

USAUmp1

Reaction score
Unless something has changed recently, PGF uses NFHS rules with some modifications to the pitching, as in no step back allowed. There is no new rule about obstruction in NFHS. Once a defensive player has the ball in their possession they can block the runner all they want.
The pitching rule has changed for 2018. The pitcher can step back at anytime.

Comp

Reaction score
The pitching rule has changed for 2018. The pitcher can step back at anytime.

Yes, NFHS has changed the pitching rule for 2018 as well as allowing a verbal intentional walk, but as I stated PGF uses NFHS rules with modifications. They have not allowed the step back and require both feet to be in contact with the pitching plate. From the PGF website, I have highlighted the last sentence.

Playing Rules: All PGF tournaments and events will be played using NFHS rules with the following exceptions.

Pitching distance - 12U Division 40 Feet

Pitching distance - 10U Division 35 Feet

All other divisions will be 43 Feet

Both feet must be in contact with pitching rubber prior to forward stride.

Mdfio

Reaction score
The umpire explained that this "new rule" just started and that all 4 corners of the base have to be available to the base runner.... I get that if there is no play at the bag.

Lets assume there are runners at first and second, soft ground ball to the pitcher, she turns and throws to 3 for the force.... IF this rule is actually a rule how is it possible for the girl playing 3rd to get the out? She has to step on the bag which means taking away a portion of it thus obstructing the runner from getting there.. This question was asked..... answer was "if the runner has to deviate her path in any way its obstruction regardless if there's a play there or not"

The group of umpires at Stingrays were something else. I sure hope it was a new group that was going through training and I hope they have a lot more training sessions because they definitely need it.

We had the same call on us, twice. Glad we weren't the only one

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I hope that it was the same umpire all three times, because I'd feel a little bit better with one guy having this wrong than three different guys having it wrong!

snoman76

Reaction score
I hope that it was the same umpire all three times, because I'd feel a little bit better with one guy having this wrong than three different guys having it wrong!

I'm not sure who Marc had in his games but when the field umpire made the call in our game the home plate umpire quickly tried to explain why the call was correct.