Pitching and Pitchers Discussion New pitching coach

SOFTBALLISFUN

Reaction score
My daughter's coach recently moved away and we had to find someone new. The new coach seems to be changing a lot and has her pitching from various distances and doing a lot of drills. Well, the last 2 weekends she has completely bombed on the mound. She couldn't throw a strike to save her life. She seemed to have most pitches going too high and I can't help but think this is from her pitching from 47 or so feet. She also was told not to open her hips as much and she hit 5 batters. He has changed so much at once that I know she isn't doing it all. Not sure if this is normal and if I should trust the coaches. Do I have a conversation with the new coach and tell him how I think it is too much at once? We have one more weekend of fall ball and then a tournament I am not even sure if she can be game ready or if she is totally broken.

her mom

Reaction score
My daughter's coach recently moved away and we had to find someone new. The new coach seems to be changing a lot and has her pitching from various distances and doing a lot of drills. Well, the last 2 weekends she has completely bombed on the mound. She couldn't throw a strike to save her life. She seemed to have most pitches going too high and I can't help but think this is from her pitching from 47 or so feet. She also was told not to open her hips as much and she hit 5 batters. He has changed so much at once that I know she isn't doing it all. Not sure if this is normal and if I should trust the coaches. Do I have a conversation with the new coach and tell him how I think it is too much at once? We have one more weekend of fall ball and then a tournament I am not even sure if she can be game ready or if she is totally broken.

She needs to finish out the season with what she already knows and what works for her. Change is def hard when it comes to pitching and or hitting etc with switching things up. When the season is over then try to work on what the new coach is trying to teach her. If you are happy with the PC. Maybe make some calls in the mean time to talk to some other PCs and see what they have to say and maybe there is someone different that you or she would be more comfortable with their style of teaching etc. I am not sure where you are located but I know of 2 great ones in the Miamisburg area. Good luck!!

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, you need to learn the "basics" of pitching and what your DD "Should be," taught. I would strongly advise going on Youtube and watching Bill Hillhouse on Fastpitch TV. It's a 5 part show and clinic. Here's a link to the first episode. Pitching Clinic Part 1 - Bill Hillhouse - YouTube . He has a bunch of other videos on there which are free. Next, check out anything you can find on Rick Pauly_ Pauly Girl Fastpitch. If you really want to dig into it, look for Fastpitch Foundations videos/clinics/and FB page.

The first and biggest red flag for me, and it's probably the biggest red flag to throw for anyone that has intensely studied pitching, is that the new PC is telling your DD not to open her hips as much. The one thing all top tier PC's teach is to come out of the drive/leap completely open. Second red flag is new PC is making these changes during season. Changes should be made and worked on in the off-season. Might be time to find a new PC. One that has a proven track record of producing college pitchers.

An example...Jenny Finch
OIP.c_PeVv_jsq8a2Wh7hVnLogAAAA

Ueno
3177009-65095448-2560-1440.jpg

daboss

Reaction score
This is an age-old problem that exists in many facets of life. Who do you believe? Who do you trust? How do you know they are teaching the proper fundamentals? If you are getting your car repaired, how do you know the mechanic knows what he is doing? Are they taking advantage of you? I think you see where I am going with this.

This website, this forum, can be your saving grace. Here you are asking people you trust what you should do. You've already got a few to respond but the final decision for your course of action is yours. With that, I will share my 2 cents:

Unfortunately, the Better Business Bureau does not have a listing for pitching instructors but there are associations that certify pitching instructors Most notably for me is the NFCA (National Fastpitch Coaches Association) and the IFPA (International Fast Pitch Association) that are supposed to have a registry of members that have completed their courses on instruction. If a pitching instructor has taken the time to complete those courses and become certified and registered, I believe this goes a long way towards earning your trust. It should show their dedication to their education on the skill. Now, are they any good at what they teach? They could have all the certifications in the world and still be a dud. Go with your gut and go with an instructor that bonds with your daughter. If she's confused and frustrated, if the results are negative, I would go someplace else. Its one thing to have the knowledge but teaching it can be fickle. An instructor that would try to make major changes within the season for any other reason than personal injury may have an ego problem and that is definitely a red flag.

I have changed a girl's form in season because I had concerns she was going to hurt herself.

You may need to travel to find a good instructor. You may travel a long distance only to find another dud.

One of the things I do in real life, beyond following my gut, is to look for a winner for advice. If you are aware of a pitcher with a stellar track record, go ask her or her family who they go to. One thing about pitchers and their families is they love to share this kind of info. Talk with a local college and ask for advice. Most colleges will have their own pitching instructor but the pitchers came from instruction by somebody else. See if the have any local talent and ask them who they went to that got them there.

Don't go ask a loser. Why? It's name descriptive...........

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an age-old problem that exists in many facets of life. Who do you believe? Who do you trust? How do you know they are teaching the proper fundamentals? If you are getting your car repaired, how do you know the mechanic knows what he is doing? Are they taking advantage of you? I think you see where I am going with this.

This website, this forum, can be your saving grace. Here you are asking people you trust what you should do. You've already got a few to respond but the final decision for your course of action is yours. With that, I will share my 2 cents:

Unfortunately, the Better Business Bureau does not have a listing for pitching instructors but there are associations that certify pitching instructors Most notably for me is the NFCA (National Fastpitch Coaches Association) and the IFPA (International Fast Pitch Association) that are supposed to have a registry of members that have completed their courses on instruction. If a pitching instructor has taken the time to complete those courses and become certified and registered, I believe this goes a long way towards earning your trust. It should show their dedication to their education on the skill. Now, are they any good at what they teach? They could have all the certifications in the world and still be a dud. Go with your gut and go with an instructor that bonds with your daughter. If she's confused and frustrated, if the results are negative, I would go someplace else. Its one thing to have the knowledge but teaching it can be fickle. An instructor that would try to make major changes within the season for any other reason than personal injury may have an ego problem and that is definitely a red flag.

I have changed a girl's form in season because I had concerns she was going to hurt herself.

You may need to travel to find a good instructor. You may travel a long distance only to find another dud.

One of the things I do in real life, beyond following my gut, is to look for a winner for advice. If you are aware of a pitcher with a stellar track record, go ask her or her family who they go to. One thing about pitchers and their families is they love to share this kind of info. Talk with a local college and ask for advice. Most colleges will have their own pitching instructor but the pitchers came from instruction by somebody else. See if the have any local talent and ask them who they went to that got them there.

Don't go ask a loser. Why? It's name descriptive...........
I agree with this. However, it's very difficult to find a quality pitching instructor without knowing the basics of what should be taught. Bill Hillhouse, Rick Pauly, Rick Balswick, and numerous others that not only pitched themselves at the highest levels but have a proven track record of getting players to pitch at the highest levels in college can be a decent start to learning the basics on which to determine whether said PC is worth returning for a second lesson. Knowledge is key. JMHO. Going fore-armed so to speak is fore-warned.