No hitter??

FastBat

Reaction score
Is it still considered a "no hitter" if a pitcher walks one batter and hits one batter with the pitch?

Also, would the ERA still be 0.00 if there were no hits, 1 walk, 1 HBP, and 1 error?

I'm still confused about no hitters vs. no earned runs. Are they the same thing? It doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't want to be wrong it.

raidian70

Reaction score
The answer to your first 2 questions is yes. As long as no base hits are allowed, it doesn't matter how many runners they allow. When we were 9u, our pitcher threw a no hitter, but allowed 4 runs due to walks and 2 errors.

Earned runs are difficult to work through and usually (unfortunately) up to the discretion of the scorer. But there is a general rule of thumb that in order for a play to be an error that a fielder be able to make the play with ordinary effort. This means if a player leaves her feet to make a play and it bounces off the glove it is still a hit (which alot of times get marked as an error). At the same time a ball through the legs is an error even if it "never touched the glove". Sadly, a lot of times those two plays get switched. Anyways, if a run could have scored without the benefit of an error, or a passed ball (as opposed to a wild pitch), then the run is an earned run. Sometimes it takes a while to go back through an inning to figure that out.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
I found game changer a big help in earned vs unearned if you score honestly. It a much easier tool to go back to as opposed to trying to notate a book with enough description to be able to remember what actually happened.
The one drawback is if there are multiple errors (3 or more) on a play, and this happens WAY more than you'd like it to, it can be tough to assign them correctly. Can get convoluted quickly with multiple errors.
I try to keep a paper book at the same time for later comparison in case this happens!

Last edited:

coachjwb

Reaction score
A no-hitter means that the pitcher(s) allowed no official hits ... there can be walks, reached by errors, hit by pitches, and definitely run ... just no hits. A perfect game is a no-hitter where no one reached base at all. Earned runs are an entirely different subject ... but essentially they are runs that would have scored had there been no errors or passed balls.