Non-Sanctioned Leagues/Tournaments

Reaction score
I am looking for information on how non-sanctioned leagues/tournaments comply with the Safe Sport Legislation. For years I have sanctioned our community's very recreational slowpitch program of 76 teams through USA/ASA or USSSA but this year I am evaluating if we should be independent of any sanctioning body. Any advice you can share would be appreciated. Thanks

Bob Darden
Beavercreek, Ohio

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
Here is the actual bill and it's wording: Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017

Bob, my understanding of the Safe Sport Authorization Act is mandatory background checks for coaches, administrators, and officials along with the passing of the online Safe Sport class. I was under the impression that it only applied to NGB's recognized by the USOC. In fast-pitch softball, that is USA Softball.

USSSA is taking the stance of compliance even though it may not be mandatory by the wording of that bill. I could be wrong as I have no legal training or understand all of the legal jargon in the bill itself. It is hard even for our corporate legal team to get true clarification. Personally I have no problem with our folks being background checked right down to our officials and umpires. I would imagine any concerned parent would want to try to provide as safe an environment as possible for their children to play in and I am right there with them in that regard. With that being said, below is what Ohio USSSA and the national office of USSSA is implementing for this upcoming season and the future.

USSSA is having umpires and directors complete the background check with team coaches that registered after Jan 1, 2020 also complete the background check. I believe the USSSA time line for ALL coaches submitting the background checks if for the 2021 season which starts on Aug 1 for USSSA.

Ohio USSSA is having internal staff (state director, asst. state director, state UIC, area UIC) complete the background check and Safe Sport online training right now. It is mandatory for registering officials (all sports) for this year before they have their registration marked as complete and are issued a number. USSSA's insurance carrier has added sexual molestation and abuse to it's directors/officials policy this year. In the past it was available as additional coverage or a rider. We will know more thru out the season on what this will do to team insurance policies and fees for the 2021 season.

I can only speak to what my daughter's rec league does and that is they have the coaches and volunteers do background checks on their own thru the league. I have no idea about if Safe Sport training online is mandatory or not for the summer season. Some of this is brand new to folks so people may just be learning they need to implement something to be in compliance or may not need to do anything.

I can't speak to what this will do to independent leagues or non-registered tournaments but I would imagine it would be a thought running thru the league or tournament organizers mind. The penalties are pretty severe from what I can make out of it.

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
If I read that document correctly, it is an automatic nolo contendre for a judgement if legal action is brought. If I remember correctly that is basically no contest and you are on the hook to a minimum of $125K on up.

I can't believe this is hardly being spoken about. Other than me and CARDS, no one has an answer or seems to have any information to share on this.

I guess it is like the mandatory concussion training a few years ago. No one seems to bother with that anymore.