Nsa A world series in Columbus

According to the NSA website the A world series will be in Columbus July 22-30. See www.playnsa.com . Doesn't say if it's all ages but looks like it.

why would there be three different places for the B division?

Coach Scott,
NSA - IMHO - is naming sites geographically placed so more teams will attend - giving them an option. Most "B" teams don't travel extensively.

Patty

Anyone know if there is a chance they`ll use Beekman et al at OSU. Berliner is not where I want to spend my vacation. I thought John DeLuca said they`d never go back there, rotation or not, because of the cost?
Does this also mean, due to rotation, States will be down at Tealtown which I was also told NSA would never be back to after the fiasco with the beer truck and pitching mounds 2 years ago?

Catcherdad,

Is that like NEVER going back to the worst sofball complex I have ever seen? ( Softball World )

I don't know if Tealtown will be fortunate to host any NSA events in 2006 or any other year but as president of the park, I assure everyone it would be one of the best tournaments you attend. I too, was "disappointed" at how the tournament was hosted in 2004 and our current board and officers are working hard to have the best facility in the midwest.

Went to Berliner last year for NSA Columbus and it was not bad at all, better than many other places we've been. What are the complaints? The fields were played on were great with lots of shade and seating. Parking was no problem. The place is easy to get to. Concessions were adequate. There was PLENTY of warmup space.

I'm just curious as to where everyone that has posted is geographicaly from? Does travel distance have anything to do with the negative comments towards certain ball parks? I attended both Tealtown in 2004 and Boardman in 2005 and both seemed adequate. As for the beer truck, since no one in our family drinks beer, we didn't even notice if there was or was not a beer truck in attendence! As for the pitching mounds that would have to be rectified before committing to play there. By the way I'm from Central Ohio, so both are at least 2 hrs away. ;D

PurpleJack, have to agree with all you've posted, especially if you have more than 1 DD playing or if you plan on attending ASA the following week. Sure is nice to play at home!!! 8)

Bink
Facilities often take the brunt of complaints about a tournament, justified or not. In the case of NSA states, you have a tournament that is usually held over the 4th of July weekend. Quite often in recent years they have taken a 2 day tournament and made it into a 3 day tournament. Giving teams 1 game on Friday, and maybe 2 on Saturday. Out of town teams need to stay over 2 nights etc. Then you have the whole issue of NSA saying states are required to play at Nationals, and teams showing up at Nationals that you didn't see at states. (In a lot of cases they may have satisfied NSA by playing elsewhere on a different weekend). There have been facility issues at some sites, but since most communities can't commit 15 or so fields specifically to softball, you have to put up with some problems.

As far as Nationals, go I can't be happier. Having all the age groups in one area is great. The other NSA National sites are good but you lose the flavor of a big event if the venues are spread out.

We may have top make the trek up north for this one!!

Between multiple Nationals and State tourneys we have been @ Berliner several times, the facility is fine it just is not very exciting when the kids play all summer to go to "Nationals" and it is just in Columbus "Boring" Ohio, LOL . As a parent I am all for having it closer to home, but I know my DD, much perfers going to Chicago or Charlotte or Chattanooga....We all hated Roanoke. This is trip has pretty much been our family vacation for the last 5 years.....

Jack,
My complaints about Berliner come from States a few years ago when I had a kid tear up a knee because of the wooden platforms under the batters boxes that wer`nt in the ground deep enough. (those may be gone now).
2 years ago I had 2 kids get bad road rash on their shins because of the rough ball mix they used for the infield. I just think that after attending Stinrays those fields put Berliner to shame I just don`t know if there would be enough of them.
The third thing is that I would rather go somewhere else than Columbus for Nationals. I live in NE Ohio and its to close to feel like your away from home and to far to drive every day.
And it especially sucks when I called 2 days ago to reserve rooms at the same hotel we`re staying at earlier in the summer and the rooms went from $72 to $110 for that week. If I have to pay that much for a hotel, I would much rather be somewhere further from home to give the feel of "vacation".

Bink,
You`ve gotta be kidding about the beer truck, I don`t drink in front of kids either but the thing was set up right in front of the concession stand/headquarters/bathrooms. I was told by an NSA official that they had nothing to do with it and it was tealtowns baby and that they (NSA) were told they wouldn`t bring one in. I`m not a prude and do my share of partying but I just thought that was low class at a State tournament.

Our 1st game that year,,,,,,,,,,
our catcher could NOT see 2nd base from her crouched position because of the pitchers mound,

our ss had to run up 1 side and down the other side on 1 play,

our 1st baseman tripped over the raised plug in the ground that covered the baseball base pegs, on a foul ball attempt,

and we, with the help of the umpire, had to re-align the bases because it was around 78` to 2nd base.

We were told by a grounds keeper that that would have to do because they were off to another field.

This all happened in our 1st game. Thats why I say that tealtown leaves alot to be desired when we are facing close to a 5hr. drive to grt there for a State tournament.

We`ve played in Boardman as well and although I forget his name now (assistant coach at Boardman, and a NSA umpire) that guy almost single-handidly made the fields playable after a long rain delay. We left there feeling like those people did everything in their power to help us get games played. I just think that sort of dedication should be rewarded.
COACH2, I don`t mean to say you guys should never get another shot at States, if you guys have some new blood in there, good luck to you and I hope you can get the job done and get the tournament again. I just think maybe there should be a couple of regular NSA tournaments held there 1st to see how things go.

Could someone give me the adress of the complex nationals will be held? berliner doesnt show up on a yAhoo driving search map so I need something that will.THANKS TONS.

99, your right on about Boardman-it was a first rate tourney and yes improvements need to be made if Tealtown is ever to be considered for States again. NSA should be held accountable for checking out all aspects of the facilities well before the actual event is held!!! winorgohome, try "Lou Berliner Park" or "Columbus Parks and Recreation" or maybe even "Greenlawn Park". ;D

Your right on Bink, I think there should be more effort made on that end or we don`t go back. You know much you and your team have to pay to do these things, I just think its time we hold these orginizations accountable for the quality they give us.

Easy Luv, central Ohio is my home sweet home. Besides, can a "cowtown" really be that boring? You no we will have our annual "cow chip tossing" championship that very same week!lol. ;)

I thought that was the Michigan weekend, ;D or do we play up there this year.

Catcherdad, your points are well taken. The officers running the park at that time simply didn't have a clue as to the importance of taking care of all the little things. NSA had nothing to do with the beer truck idea.

Now that fall ball is over, we are spending thousands of dollars in field improvements including enhanced erosion control, laser leveling of the infields and putting our outfields under a 3 step treatment. Virtually a whole new group of people stepped to get involved after the 2004 season. We have a great group of people dedicated to making our park the best it can be.