Obesity

Have you every had a player that was so obese that they refused to run? If so, how did you handle it?

what about a statman who refused to eat less than his share of hot dogs during any given weekend? wait, that was kinda off topic..... :-X

I've seen plenty of heavy-set kids who hustled their butts off. I've seen perfectly healthy kids who refused to hustle or even slide. I think what you're dealing with is a lazy kid, which is quite a bit different than someone who is overweight.

Is it wrong to say--you don't run, you don't play? Running is a big part of the game.

Now picture this. This is like a Bad News Bears team.

I agree with the fact that she is LAZY. I know that this school is trying to build the program and cuts won't happen. Then the question is where to play her. Do you play her at first or at catcher so you can put in a courtesy runner.

Better yet--how do you get her to condition?

just because you can't cut her does'nt mean she gets to play . If she refuses your request to run , or even make an attempt, I'd bench her. More for refusing a coach's request/order than any physical issue. Having said that if you are roped into playing her I'd go left field if your pitcher throws hard , right field if she throws med-slow. But the ball will find her , always does in those situations. MD

luvdagame said:
Have you every had a player that was so obese that they refused to run? ?If so, how did you handle it?

(You're right Ringer, I am gonna be the PC Fuzz on this one. ?:cool:)

Probably posting about her on a website and calling her "LAZY" is not the best approach. ?You don't say how old she is, and I'm sorry, but it just makes me uncomfortable not to consider reasons why she won't run.

It might be an attitude problem, but it could also be that if she's a bigger girl---maybe she can't run very well, and is embarrassed about not being able to keep up with the other girls. ?Maybe she thinks it's better to be thought a pain-in-the-arse, than to have the other girls (or her own coach) ride her for not being able to run.

She obviously must want to be included in the group---she's there. ?Maybe brainstorming for ways to get her to exercise or run in situations that would be less pressure for her could be a start.

Maybe you could pair her up with an understanding exercise buddy, and have them arrive early for practices to get her laps and sit-ups, etc., done and out of the way before the rest of the team shows up and then have those two work on hauling equipment/setting up while the other girls are doing their laps.

(I'll probably take a lot of flak for being too soft on this, but I think I would regret not trying to give a kid a chance to save face and participate if I could. ?:-[)

We played in a tournement last year and played a team (some will know, most will not) that had a girl playing firstbase that was always the last player on the field. So late in fact she only threw grounders to the infielders 1 inning. It actually motivated our girls after we seen this inning after inning. They just ran out to the field faster every inning. So there is a silver lining in everything. We found out later she was the coaches daughter.

If you cant have cuts your team probably wont be competetive so you might just have to suck it up. If the girl is trying on the field but wont run for conditioning try sitting her down and talking with her and her parents. Tell her your worried about possible injuries and suggest she stay late with you and another girl and walk for half an hour. If she sees you care it might make a difference.

katjoebenmom said:
[quote author=luvdagame link=1203961461/0#0 date=1203961461]Have you every had a player that was so obese that they refused to run? ?If so, how did you handle it?

(You're right Ringer, I am gonna be the PC Fuzz on this one. ?:cool:)

Probably posting about her on a website and calling her "LAZY" is not the best approach. ?You don't say how old she is, and I'm sorry, but it just makes me ?uncomfortable not to consider reasons why she won't run.

It might be an attitude problem, but it could also be that if she's a bigger girl---maybe she can't run very well, and is embarrassed about not being able to keep up with the other girls. ?Maybe she thinks it's better to be thought a pain-in-the-arse, than to have the other girls (or her own coach) ride her for not being able to run.

She obviously must want to be included in the group---she's there. ?Maybe brainstorming for ways to get her to exercise or run in situations that would be less pressure for her could be a start.

Maybe you could pair her up with an understanding exercise buddy, and have them arrive early for practices to get her laps and sit-ups, etc., done and out of the way before the rest of the team shows up and then have those two work on hauling equipment/setting up while the other girls are doing their laps.

(I'll probably take a lot of flak for being too soft on this, but I think I would regret not trying to give a kid a chance to save face and participate if I could. ?:-[)

[/quote]

Kat,

You make some good points, but there still are many issues. If you "refuse" to run in softball you simply cannot play. If there was a physical reason (bad knees, bad back) I would be more sympathetic but - for the sake of the team I will offer her a spot as a stat person or team manager. A coach simply cannot have a player in any position, offense or defense, that refuses to run. What does she do when she it batting? Hit the ball and return to the bench? What about a ball that gets by her in the outfield? Point to the other fielders and say "you run after it"? No - it simply cannot happen. That would destroy a team.

However,

A number of years ago, I had an obese girl try out for the HS team I coached at that time. She was a sweetheart and the girls loved her. She was eager to do anything to make the team. She busted her butt, however, she never played softball and did not have the necessary skills to play the game. My girls and coaches lobbied for me to take her on the team. I offered her a spot on the roster but her duties were to be the team manager. You would have thought she won the lottery. She was the best team manager/cheerleader, etc. that you could find. One day during a game that we were winning that was soon to be a run ruled game, I put her in to bat. Talk about a girl in shock. She ended up walking and getting to 3rd on pass balls. While she was there, I saw my 3rd base coach busting out laughing. Later, after the inning was over, I ask him what was so funny. He told me that whe she got to 3rd on the pass ball, she was literally shaking like a leaf. He asked her if she was OK. Her response.. "Oh, I'm fine - I just never been on 3rd base before"

If she is that type of young lady, offer the girl a spot as a team manager. If not, cut her.

Johnnies---of course my head knows you are absolutely right, but I guess my feelings were a little hurt for her when I saw some of the snide remarks made.

Again, we don't know how old this girl is (and I don't even know if it really matters) but I would hate to see a very young girl's desire to participate in athletics quashed permanently, when maybe all it would take to turn her around and perhaps start her on the path to a healthier ?lifestyle, would be a little extra time and concern from the adults around her.

(Besides, y'all know what a bleeding-heart, liberal, democratic, kinda ?mom I am.) ? ?:-[

Brutal! At first I would say leave the fat kid alone......but I just cant help myself. If you have the fat kid and your trying to motivate her maybe try something like baiting her on and off the field with some HO HO'S or cup cakes. Or take the Sea World approach every time she does something good reward her with a Canoli or some other type of candy. And when she in the field, tell her that the ball is one of those
oversized lemon heads.....she should have no problem scooping it up. And if all else fails F--- It!
Put her big A-- in the dugot with a bucket of extra crispy!

Here's a great idea to use. . .I am not as able as I used to be to run due to bad catcher knees, and I can't throw very well because I am recovering from major rotator cuff surgery. ?However, what I do say and show my girls is that I do not expect them to do anything that I won't do. ?It might hurt for me to run, but I do it and I am slow. My throw looks weak at best, but I am providing an example to the girls to never give up and to work hard. ?Why not make it an everyone event where she has a little motivation from coach, because coach is doing it too!

I do agree that if she doesn't run, she doens't play. ?It doesn't mean she has to be the fastest, but does mean that she is making the effort to increase her endurance and overall fitness. ?

Sit down with the young lady and parents and have a heart to heart and explain why it is important to at least try. ?Give specific example of what it will do for her as a person, and how that in turn will provide a good example to the team. ?Don't hesitate to put it on the table of what the consequences will be if she does not follow the expectations you are setting out for her. ?She might just surprise you.

Just a thought . . . ::)

big daddy said:
Brutal! At first I would say leave the fat kid alone......but I just cant help myself. If you have the fat kid and your trying to motivate her maybe try something like baiting her on and off the field with some HO HO'S or cup cakes. Or take the Sea World approach every time she does something good reward her with a Canoli or some other type of candy. And when she in the field, tell her that the ball is one of those
oversized lemon heads.....she should have no problem scooping it up. And if all else fails F--- It!
Put her big A-- in the dugot with a bucket of extra crispy!

If you were goin' for funny----you missed it by a mile. ?>:(

Oh yea and how do you crop my message and put it on yours? I really want to know..

big daddy said:
Was not trying to be funny..trying to be an ASS!

Oh----in that case, two enthusiastic thumbs up!!! ? Mission accomplished. ?:p

Every situation is different and I can't tell from the vague discription given here. I used to coach Jr. High and High School wrestling, every year you could count on having some very obese kids. These kids still want to be a part of the team and deserve the chance. My conversation with them went something like this, you come to practice and give me 100% and do all that you are physically able and I'll do my part to make you a better wrestler. I would encourage them to stay after practice with me for some one on one time and discuss a healthy diet. Unless these kids are given the chance and guidence needed to turn there lifestyle around, most won't change. In most instances it all started in the home, unhealthy choices and lack of exercise. It takes more patience with these kids but in the end there is not a more rewarding experience.