Obstruction

Hink1927

Reaction score
Runner on 2nd base. Wild pitch and runner advances to 3rd and rounds it as the catcher scrambles for the ball which ends up on the 3rd base foul line about 10 feet up the line. As the runner rounds 3rd she runs into the shortstop covering the bag. The coach tells the runner to keep running home. By this time the runner is about 5 feet down the line from 3rd base and the catcher stands in the base path until the runner comes to her (jogging) and tags the runner going home.

The umpire calls obstruction and awards the runner home scoring a run. Nobody could have reasonably argued that the runner would have made it home except for the obstruction. I believe the obstruction keeps her from being tagged out at 3rd but not awards her home if she couldn't have gotten it without the obstruction.

What's the correct call?

HeyBlue!

Reaction score
The obstructed runner shall be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpires judgement, had their been no obstruction. The key here is that the obstruction occurred AFTER the runner reached third base (not BEFORE she reached third base). By the scenario you described the runner should have been awarded third base, not home.

I should note, baseball and softball rules governing obstruction are slightly different. I only umpire softball but through conversations with officials who umpire both sports, I understand obstruction in baseball results in an automatic award of the next base... so if an umpire works both sports I could see how they might misconstrue the proper award.

Last edited:

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Some baseball automatically gives the next base (for instance, NFHS/high school), but others don’t (OBR/NCAA).

That was such a well explained obstruction ruling for softball that we don’t want to inadvertently start any bad baseball rule myths while we’re at it! LOL!!! :D

ALISA WEAVER

Reaction score
An accurate interpretation of this situation, in my opinion, is possible if you clearly see the situation. In what dynamics did this happen, simultaneously or not, etc. even in classic British football there are so many controversial situations and referees are often accused of bias or carelessness. But the perception of the situation in the Mongol also depends on the angle. We always support our own and object to the judges who, in difficult situations, make a decision not in our favor. If a match is judged by a reputable referee, I think we need to rely on his correctness. Although the human factor has not been canceled, and even in such a complex issue as refereeing, mistakes are possible.