USSSA Tournament Ohio USSSA - New for 2017 - Class C Program and Class C Grand-Slam Series

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
Ohio USSSA is rolling a true program for class C teams to compete in for 2017. The Ohio USSSA definition of a class C team is listed below:

C - Class C teams are what Class B teams used to be just 4-5 years ago: Mostly community based travel teams or teams just stepping up from the Rec/All-Star level. Usually Class C teams have 1-2 pitchers max and may be needing depth all around on defense and offense. Withe the proliferation of travel teams the last 5 years, Class C teams usually play a Class A/B schedule just to find events to play in. Class C teams also may only play just a few events per season but are typically better practiced than their Rec/All-Star counterparts.

Class C Program:

Ohio USSSA will offer a class C program starting in 2016. Class C teams are defined as teams that are a step up from Rec/All-Star but not quite the skill level of Class B teams. The first season will offer a limited schedule but in 2017 there will be a semi-weekly schedule (see below) including a state tournament for class C teams only. Class C events are for development of player skills and confidence to eventually move to Class B caliber tournaments to compete in.

Class C Grand-Slam Series Program: (**NEW FOR 2017**)
Ohio USSSA will offer a Class C Grand-Slam program starting in 2017. The Grand-Slam series will offer a semi-weekly schedule starting Mother's Day weekend including a state tournament for class C teams only. These tournaments will be called Legs. The first 2 Leg events are 6 g/g with no playoffs. These are to encourage skill development and confidence of playing in a travel softball environment. The third leg of the series will be based on the traditional travel tournament format of 3 pool games-seeding into Sunday single-elimination. This is to expose teams to traditional travel team tournament structure. The 4th Leg will be the Class C State Tournament which will consist of 2 pool seeding into double-elimination bracket play. This is to expose teams to big time postseason tournament play.

jdqtall

Reaction score
Can a Class B Player be Eligible to Play on a Class C team for USSSA?

The USSSA designation is new to me

Coach Big Mike

Reaction score
I appreciate USSSA forming this new division. Many young ladies want to try travel/club ball but are afraid because of the level of play is so much more than rec ball. This new level will allow them to experience what it's like. I truly hope that all the teams that are listed so far are C level or slightly better! I would hate to see teams that are higher level playing in this series.

It's almost here and I personally can't wait to see how our team develops.

Have a great season!

Coach Big Mike
Westerville Lightning