OHSAA 2010/2011 changes

Has anyone looked at the changes, especially 4.1, regarding not being allowed to "practice" outside your high school team. I have had one person interpret this that a high school student who is playing with their high school team, that they cannot go to hitting coaches, pitching coaches, etc., during the high school season.

does anyone else interpret it that way?

that is the way I read it. last year said if it was private one person practice it was ok.

This is the beginning of the end of HS sports. How many high schools have anyone on the staff who can really help a pitcher?

This is the beginning of the end of HS sports. How many high schools have anyone on the staff who can really help a pitcher?

Not many. DD can't see her pitching coach durning season???? lol

Where there is a will, there is a way. Not like this across the state line in Pa. Ohio needs to do alot of tweaking with their rules. Most absurd.

Wow so discouraging. At least the High School season is short. I just don't understand why Ohio gets so handicapped. Teams that live in warm weather climates play year around. It's no wonder they are ahead of us.

Or you can choose to read it differently. If you are going to a hitting or pitching instructor and paying them money, you are getting a lesson, not "practicing." I sincerely doubt this is aimed at individual players trying to better themselves. Otherwise, does this mean you can't throw a ball in your backyard?

Softball will eventually follow other sports where their organization (club/ academy) will offer a team to play and practice with during the school season instead of school ball.

It sure would be nice to find out what that really does mean. Being the mom of a pitcher, that would not be a good rule.

OHSAA is a dinosaur... and that came from NCAA people.

Their rules are as absurd as their wages.

OHSAA is making the move like the Columbus Dispatch said they wanted to go... and that is taking over youth sports completely. By taking over completely... they will be able to control "club" ball as well...

It comes down to the words "student athletes". They want to control the student athlete throughout the year. And as long as the OHSAA people come under the Ohio Government Education Department..like it is now.. they will be able to control ALL students.

I figure if everyone just ignores this rule and forces their hand to make a lot of rulings they may back down. I do not think they could ever win in court if someone challenges them.

Or you can choose to read it differently. If you are going to a hitting or pitching instructor and paying them money, you are getting a lesson, not "practicing." I sincerely doubt this is aimed at individual players trying to better themselves. Otherwise, does this mean you can't throw a ball in your backyard?

Read the volleyball page on OHSAA and it sounds like no lesson either

The Ohio Legislature will give OHSAA what they need.. to accomplish what they want to do..... in regulating the student athletes.

You will get to see OHSAA running their own clinics, etc... $$$$

I had a rules quesion. I had two friends in other districts who coach high school request an interpretaton. That was over 5 weeks ago. One coach made the reqest on multiple occassions. Another verbally spoke with an official who said to email and they would get back to the coach. To this date NO REPLY from OHSAA. Makes it kinda tough.

Mrs Price is the person who does the interpeting of the rules..

I cannot say anything bad about her as she always got back to me when I was getting info on "club" ball and giving out the prizes I wanted to give in the Uniform Blowout to where teams could play without worry.

But, then again I was persistant about it

I can't figure out how to do a poll question. Can someone set this poll question up.

How many high school softball players take hitting or pitching lesson during their high school softball season? We need almost every one who has a daughter who plays high school softball to give us an answer for accurate results

yes

no

I figure if everyone just ignores this rule and forces their hand to make a lot of rulings they may back down. I do not think they could ever win in court if someone challenges them.

all dpends on the judge hearing the case. I think I'd have better luck winning the lotto.

all dpends on the judge hearing the case. I think I'd have better luck winning the lotto.

You'd have to get into Federal Courts and not the Ohio Supreme Court. Ever watch our Supreme Court in action on PBS.

This is the same Supreme Court that allows police to give you a speeding ticket based on they can judge if you are speeding by sight. No radar required !!!

It was a Barberton case and an absolute joke in my opinion.

But, when you got two justices that have been pulled over and convicted for DUI.. what can you figure about their logic or thinking. I laughed at the one who was shown on police camera telling the officer' " Do you know who I am ?":lmao: