Ohsaa rule

VE_05

Reaction score
So I'm sure I could look it up but thought I'd ask here. As I'm moving up to 12u next year I start to run into the ohsaa rules for practice during school ball and such.

I have a couple questions.

1. Is there a number of kids from the same school I can have on my team? Meaning, can I only have 4 girls from Washington court house, 4 girls from teays or does this matter. Could I have an entire middle school team on my team? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but didn't know what the numbers where.

. Next question ND I beleive I know the answer but want to ask. When can I practice? I think I can't practice with them at all while they are playing school ball correct.

brownsfan

Reaction score
Can't answer question 1. Question 2, that gets tricky. We literally just went through something like this. If MS ball is OHSAA sanctioned, no practice.

If it's in club state to become OHSAA sanctioned; no practice. The club state to be sanctioned is two years. DD is incoming junior. However, when she was incoming 8th grader---we were in the first or second year of club status to be OHSAA sanctioned. AD told her no practice.

If in club status with no intentions of OHSAA sanctioning, it's best to check with the coaches of the girls respective schools.

krrcoach

Reaction score
So I'm sure I could look it up but thought I'd ask here. As I'm moving up to 12u next year I start to run into the ohsaa rules for practice during school ball and such.

I have a couple questions.

1. Is there a number of kids from the same school I can have on my team? Meaning, can I only have 4 girls from Washington court house, 4 girls from teays or does this matter. Could I have an entire middle school team on my team? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but didn't know what the numbers where.

. Next question ND I beleive I know the answer but want to ask. When can I practice? I think I can't practice with them at all while they are playing school ball correct.

JR,

1. Limit of 4 per school team outside of June and July. During June and July it doesn't matter how many if the school coach isn't coaching.

2. No practice after April 18 or first contest (scrimmage or game) which ever comes first, until the season is over.

Swat04

Reaction score
What I am getting into is that our Jr high softball program is not affiliated with the school....meaning the school doesn't help fund or put on the Jr high program at all. So I am still under that above stated OHSAA guidelines/rules ??

flygirlsdad

Reaction score
Looking at the team advice section and actually reading this, it is not what I had always thought it was. I knew of the rule a team could only have 4 players from the same school. What I didn't realize was that school coaches cannot coach any of their players except for 10 days during June and July regardless of the 4 player rule. Not surprisingly this also pertains to volunteer coaches. This could be a big can of worms for a lot of coaches and players out there. Basically, a school coach or volunteer can't coach any players from their school on a travel team whether it be, fall, winter, or summer except for those 10 days. That basically comes down to coaching their school players, but not more than 4 on a team, for 2 summer tournaments. This could also mean parent volunteer coaches in High School could not coach their daughters team in the summer.

Bean2019

Reaction score
Looking at the team advice section and actually reading this, it is not what I had always thought it was. I knew of the rule a team could only have 4 players from the same school. What I didn't realize was that school coaches cannot coach any of their players except for 10 days during June and July regardless of the 4 player rule. Not surprisingly this also pertains to volunteer coaches. This could be a big can of worms for a lot of coaches and players out there. Basically, a school coach or volunteer can't coach any players from their school on a travel team whether it be, fall, winter, or summer except for those 10 days. That basically comes down to coaching their school players, but not more than 4 on a team, for 2 summer tournaments. This could also mean parent volunteer coaches in High School could not coach their daughters team in the summer.

Not exactly correct - I'll grant you the rule and guidance are confusing Take a look at http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/sb/girls/2016/2016CoachesMemo7.pdf

To: All High School Head Softball Coaches
From: Jerry Snodgrass, Assistant Commissioner/Softball Sport Administrator
Lauren Prochaska, Program Coordinator

Date: Coaches Memo10: May18, 2016

. . . . . . . . .

4. Off-Season Coaching: This is an area that continues to find many developing their own regulations and
interpretations. I have nearly every Q & A posted at: http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/sb/girls/2016/QandA.pdf
You will find other detailed documents covering “Fall Ball” etc. on my “This week in Baseball” web page at:
http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/bb/boys/2015/TWIB2015.htm and I think you would find these very helpful.

In a nutshell:

There is NO LIMIT to the number of players from the same school that can be on the same ‘summer’ team
between May 27 and July 31.

Your entire coaching staff is permitted a TOTAL of 10 days to coach teams that are made up of
more than 4 players from your school teams between June 1 and July 31.

You and your coaching staff may coach players from your school teams and UNLIMITED number of days if the
team is comprised of 4 or less players from your school teams. (many are not aware of this)

Individual Instruction per the parameters set up in General Sports Regulation 8.2 is permitted during the summer
in addition to the 10 days of instruction also permitted

----------------
There are a few nuances even to the above guidance as the "UNLIMITED" Number of days must be in "Team Competition"

From the Q & A s:

How about if I coach a team (from June 1 – July 31) that consists of only 4 players from my school team? (less than 50% of the roster)

Answer: Currently the OHSAA does not view that as an instructional day, but one must remember it MUST be between June 1 and July 31 AND it must be in TEAM COMPETITION.