ONDECK SOFTBALL COMING TO OHIO! July 2nd, 2015 in Orrville, Ohio

Reaction score
2015 Ohio Tryout for Classes of 2016 - 2021

**any 2016's selected from the Tryout will only be considered for the Chicago Jamboree July 8th and Pennsylvania Jamobree September 7th**

We are excited about the Ohio Tryout, Thursday, July 2nd in Orrville, Ohio that will be ran in conjunction with the Fire in the Sky (you do not have to be participating in the Fire in the Sky to attend the tryout). We are looking to identify athletes we can invite to the Chicago Jamboree (July 8th), Pennsylvania Jamboree, Texas Jamboree, and the East Coast National Elite Camp.

Registration Link:http://ondecksoftball.net/payments/details/2015-ohio-tryout/

Below is the information need for the tryout:

Location - Kingsway Christian School
Session - Session #1 Thursday 8AM-12:30PM

Session #2 Thursday 1PM-5:30PM

Arrival Time - Please arrive at the site at least 30 minutes prior to your Session.
What to Wear - Practice Gear. All players will receive a numbered Tank Top. Have a shirt to wear under the Tank and cleats.
What to Bring - Be sure to bring your glove, bat and any necessary equipment.
Water & Snacks - Please bring water and snacks for the Session. We will not be providing water. Please be ready to stay hydrated and energized!
Payment - The full payment of $110 is due with your Registration. No other monies will be necessary. Please review our REFUND POLICY

ODM Results - After the tryout you will receive an email from Fastpitch Recruits (FPR) indicating your scores are available to view. If you do not have an FPR account, you will receive an email to activate your account and view your scores. Scores will be posted 1-2 weeks after the Tryout.

Scores will also be available on our Blog by jersey number, along with the list of players being invited to Jamborees.

All the players in the Tryout will be broken into two Groups - A & B. While GROUP A is going through their Defensive Workout, GROUP B will be Testing. The Testing consists of the OnDeck Measurements (ODM) - Timed Sprints, Shuttle, Bat Speed, Bat Exit Speed, Overhand Throwing Velocity and Grip Strength.

Sample Tryout Itinerary

1:00 - 1:15 Warmup - ALL PLAYERS
1:15 - 1:40 Infield - GROUP A GROUP B WILL BE TESTING
1:40 - 1:55 Outfield - GROUP A GROUP B WILL BE TESTING
1:55 - 2:00 Transition to Hitting
2:00 - 2:25 Front Toss - GROUP A will hit while GROUP B will Shag
2:25 - 3:10 Live BP - GROUP A will hit while GROUP B will Shag
3:10 - 3:35 Pitching & Catching Workout - ALL PITCHERS AND CATCHERS
3:35 - 4:00 Infield - GROUP B GROUP A WILL BE TESTING
4:00 - 4:15 Outfield - GROUP B GROUP A WILL BE TESTING
4:15 - 4:20 Transition to Hitting
4:20 - 4:45 Front Toss - GROUP B will hit while GROUP A will Shag
4:45 - 5:30 Live Batting Practice - GROUP B will hit while GROUP A will Shag

Note: The itinerary can be adjusted as deemed necessary by the OnDeck Softball staff.

All players who participate in an OnDeck Tryout will be given serious consideration for advancement to OnDeck Softball's series of Jamborees and Elite Camps - the most effective and important recruiting events in the country. Athletes who meet the standards of athleticism and skill necessary to participate in a Jamboree or Elite Camp will be invited to one or more events in the calendar year following the Tryout. It is our hope that each player will thoroughly enjoy her experience with OnDeck Softball, and that this Tryout will be the beginning of a wonderful softball journey.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don?t hesitate to contact us at tryout@ondecksoftball.net. We will look forward to seeing you at the Park.

Last edited:

softballmom3687

Reaction score
Can one of the coaches here explain these. There seem to be a few being offered before some tournaments this year and I don't know if these mean anything or if I should sign my daughter up. She is a good player but the things that are on this list such as timed sprints and shuffle or even bat speed aren't her strengths (even though she is a very good and powerful hitter we see people with better bat speed).
If you are a college coach do you pay attention to these things? Do they really measure how good of a player your kid is? Plus what age is this best for? If you are 13 you aren't going to be as strong as a 16 year old. Does this make sense for a 13 yr old ( first year 14u)?

OnDeck Softball

Reaction score
Website
www.ondecksoftball.net
Can one of the coaches here explain these. There seem to be a few being offered before some tournaments this year and I don't know if these mean anything or if I should sign my daughter up. She is a good player but the things that are on this list such as timed sprints and shuffle or even bat speed aren't her strengths (even though she is a very good and powerful hitter we see people with better bat speed).
If you are a college coach do you pay attention to these things? Do they really measure how good of a player your kid is? Plus what age is this best for? If you are 13 you aren't going to be as strong as a 16 year old. Does this make sense for a 13 yr old ( first year 14u)?

Hi. This is Derek Allister. My wife, Joann, and I have been helping college coaches and players/parents for the last 13 years. This is a very good and important question to ask. In answer, we started this testing and measurement process over three years ago at the request of the college coaching community. To this point in time, we have tested around 10,000 players. The purpose of the tests is two-fold. For the college coach, it allows them to get a snapshot of a player's athleticism - strengths and weaknesses. Needless to say, the coaches know that no player is perfect and there is much more to the entire process than simple numbers. They also know that players have to have the skill set necessary to compete at whatever level the player is competing at. However, the coaches have been looking at these for so long now, that they are understanding where players stand within their age groups - and we help them with that too! Secondly, from a player's and parent's perspective, the numbers are great to see what areas of a player's athleticism are strong and what areas are weak. For instance, the average Division 1 woman throws the ball about 62 MPH. If your daughter is throwing it 60 and is only 14, then you can probably check that item off. She has a Division 1 arm!! If she is only throwing it 48, you now know that you need to get her with a coach to tweak those mechanics and start strengthening that arm. Now added to that equation is the fact that an ultra-quick release will negate some the need for the stronger arm. But coaches know all this and they make their decisions on a large variety of information and observations.

The numbers absolutely do not tell how good a player is. Players these days have to be more athletic than they were 15 years ago. That is for sure. But they still have to be able to throw the ball, hit it, catch it, and pitch it! These numbers are only a small piece of a much larger puzzle. And finally, do coaches pay attention to this? We started this all because they requested it. So many of them are indeed paying attention. We have coaches who religiously follow these numbers. However, we also have coaches who don't value them as much. But judging by our events, all the coaches who come to watch take the numbers we provide and look them over for those players they are interested in. At our June Jamboree last Friday where almost 200 coaches attended, they all received and reviewed the numbers we provided for them at the end of the Jamboree. And the next day, I saw a great number of coaches watching games and referring to those numbers periodically.

I hope that helps. We are really excited to get out to Ohio and start getting to know the players and parents out in that region of the country. If there are any other questions about this, feel free to ask, and I will check in here periodically and make sure I address them. Otherwise, take care, and best wishes for the Summer ahead.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Derek ... thanks for posting more what this is all about ... I think that will be helpful to a lot of people.

Softball mom ... I just want to make one comment ... others may chime in and possibly disagree with me ... but parents of 13U's shouldn't feel like they are missing out on something if they choose not to participate in these kinds of things. I am glad to see OnDeck coming to the area and, as Derek alludes to, these kinds of measurements may be helpful to you and your DD. But just know that only the very top players in the country are being looked at when they're this young, and only by just a few of the D1 colleges. If your DD is one of the better players on one of the best 14U teams in the state, it definitely makes sense to go. And if your DD's goal is to someday play college ball, it's probably not a bad idea to expose them to one or two of these early on, but the vast majority of those who play in college aren't being seriously considered until they're more like 15-16.

softballmom3687

Reaction score
Can anyone give any thoughts on the Future Prospects one? We were encouraged to sign up but so many of the links on the website don't work and they say there is a discount of $20 but then at checkout it won't give it to you. It gives you a number to call and the number just says there is no account for this person, leave a general message, etc. etc. All of this incompetence makes it seem like a huge scam. Is this one a less valid one that the On Deck one noted above?