Opinions needed please read

bowmer

Reaction score
Should subs/ girls trying out that are playing in a winter league game hit at the bottom of the lineup or would you try them somewhere else say like 3 hole? I have a sub/ girl trying out and I put her in the 3 spot. What do you think

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I would not place a fill in or one trying out above talent I already know I have at least in the first few games. Worst thing you could do is have a fill in at the top of the order and she does not contribute.
You can get an idea of what she can do lower in the order and not upset existing players and parents. If you are playing 4/5 games and she kills it the first two games and your best are not getting it done then you may give her a game up in the line up.

number5

Reaction score
As you stated, it’s winter league and the sub is trying out. I would want to see as many reps as I could. I would bat her 1,2,or 3. Now on the other hand, if you are playing for trophies and not sure why in winter league. You need to do what you need to do. But in my own opinion, Winter is a time to evaluate talent and teach fundamentals.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As you & number5 have both mentioned - this is a winter indoor league. Do what you need to do to get a good look at the girl!
If you have announced at the start of the season you were going to carry 11, 12, 13, 14 or however many the number may be & you are not at that number - the entire story of parents getting upset is a crock to begin with! If little Susie is only seeing playing time because one girl quit & 2 others got hurt - then her parents need to wake up!
If you live in Ohio the next 4 months are the time to make players better! Not play for anything! This game is meant to be played outside on dirt & grass. So do what it takes to get your team ready for Spring & Summer!

FastBat

Reaction score
I think put her at the end of the line up. Make her earn her position in the line up.

lewam3

Reaction score
I would watch her carefully during front toss warm ups and decide then.

bowmer

Reaction score
Make a decision and stick with it. Don't entertain the sideline coaches with their thoughts. You obviously have considered everything and you know what you want to see from her. Stick to your plan coach. Explain yourself later if you feel the need.
This the best answer

Reactions: wow

wow

Reaction score
Agree with the above. Too many opinions out there. As a coach you have to have a plan. Everyone will tell you why it will work or not. When there are fill ins no one is happy, so don't try and please. Communicate with parents and let them know what your doing. Done.