Opinions Wanted

DD's team is moving to 16u next year, the majority of girls are 98's we have some younger girls on the team, none are standouts but a couple are not bad. I think that the 16u move is a big jump and I would rather have all 98's to start. Just wanting opinions from others that have made the jump already, the team has done pretty well this year but we had one injury early that cost us one of the top pitchers, two of the girls are 00 I think that's too young to move up to 16u, let me know what you think.

DD's team is moving to 16u next year, the majority of girls are 98's we have some younger girls on the team, none are standouts but a couple are not bad. I think that the 16u move is a big jump and I would rather have all 98's to start. Just wanting opinions from others that have made the jump already, the team has done pretty well this year but we had one injury early that cost us one of the top pitchers, two of the girls are 00 I think that's too young to move up to 16u, let me know what you think.

Personally, I would move up ASAP and learn what it takes to compete at a high level. Of course girls can't get down on themselves if and when they get beat bad. Also, one more year writing and promoting themselves never hurts.

13-U's playing 16-U is way different than 12-U's playing 14-U in my mind ... without knowing the girls or anything, I just have a hard time imagining that them trying to play up will be good for them or the team ... but that's just my opinion ...

For what it is worth, I was told by a very reliable source, that there were quite a few '01 's playing 16U in Colorado last weekend. If you are good enough to compete, why not? Just my opinion, I believe in playing up and getting better.

My 13U DD has done ok at the 16u and 18u level this year, I dont think it is as big a jump as advertised, she will be in high school playing against these kids anyways so why not start them now...

Gary prefaced his note saying that none of the girls are standouts. I'm not saying there are no 13 year-olds that could play 16-U ball, but I think any who could or should are going to be the rare exception. Like it or not, you can't ignore not only the physical but the social differences between 16's and 13's. My DD wouldn't have fallen into that rare exception category, and I just wouldn't do it personally ... but again, it's just my opinion ...

For what it is worth, I was told by a very reliable source, that there were quite a few '01 's playing 16U in Colorado last weekend. If you are good enough to compete, why not? Just my opinion, I believe in playing up and getting better.
First year 12's playing up at 16's in a top notch tourney? Personally think that's silly. Such a huge difference physically, not to mention mentally!

First year 12's playing up at 16's in a top notch tourney? Personally think that's silly. Such a huge difference physically, not to mention mentally!

Trust me, I was totally shocked to hear it as my DD is an '02. If they can do it though, more power to them. Like Blue_Ice said, and extra year of getting looked at is an advantage. Stand outs or not, they were noticed.

Why rush the DD's through the age groups. Let them enjoy their time, it's about the journey. Can only be kids once.

And you still can't get into college until you graduate high school !!!!!! So you play up for how mamy years ???? Until you catch up ? I know it improves their game, the more experience they have, but playing up TOO young really needs to be to be a very carefully thought out issue with a lot of things to consider. Take the time to research your choices and see if the fit is right. You'll know if it will work for your situation and dd's skill level, etc.

If you got the game, play up, I played 18u at 14, 15 and 16 then 18u Gold the next 2 years.

Trust me, I was totally shocked to hear it as my DD is an '02. If they can do it though, more power to them. Like Blue_Ice said, and extra year of getting looked at is an advantage. Stand outs or not, they were noticed.
I find it very hard to believe there were 'quite a few' playing up and doing much. It's possible they were playing up in the Sparkler Jr (14U was also last week) and the story got distorted and spread.

Having said that, I know a player that as a 13yo played a few innings up on Marty Tyson's Corona Angels 18G team in Boulder last year, but her regular team was 14U. She is on the 16U team this year.

I look back at pictures of my DD's teams at 12U and they were little girls compared to 16U players.

Level of Play should not be based on age. Competing on a level playing field should be the deciding factor. If the 12u kids can compete with 16u, then have at it. There is nothing worse than over/under matched competition. The only people that benefit are Chest Thumpers, which is no benefit for anyone serious about this sport.

When we were at the Toledo camp, Coach Beyster said the best way to prepare for D1 (if that's your goal), then you need to play up. Not just because of the physical demands, but the mental game as well. That was confirmed with the Weekly's when they said "if you have the talent to play up, play up. You receive more exposure."

I can see not sides though. It's up to the dd to what level she wants to play.

If you can play up and get meaningful playing time with a true showcase schedule, that's great. Otherwise find a team playing the toughest age appropriate schedule. There is more opportunity for growth playing the best 14U's than bad to average 16U's.

Just curious, how does a 12/13 yr old interact socially with 16 yr olds ?what are there common interests/subjects? what are they discussing when they are hanging out at the field between games or at the hotels? I'm for playing up if you are talented enough and it makes sense, I believe in being challenged physically and mentally. These questions were brought up to me when this idea was being thrown around .It adds an element to the scenario that you really don't consider. I like the idea if there is a team of young players playing up in certain 14u and 16u tourneys.I guess it depends on the maturity level of the player at those ages . 14U seems to be okay socially.....I think.

Just curious, how does a 12/13 yr old interact socially with 16 yr olds ?what are there common interests/subjects? what are they discussing when they are hanging out at the field between games or at the hotels? I'm for playing up if you are talented enough and it makes sense, I believe in being challenged physically and mentally. These questions were brought up to me when this idea was being thrown around .It adds an element to the scenario that you really don't consider. I like the idea if there is a team of young players playing up in certain 14u and 16u tourneys.I guess it depends on the maturity level of the player at those ages . 14U seems to be okay socially.....I think.
I agree about the team of young girls playing up, if they were doing very well at there age push them a little more and maybe mix in a couple of older girls. I could see that rather than one younger girl playing up with older girls. I know Lenos Hawks are doing this but they were very good at there own level. Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Rocket ... exactly right about the social part of things as I alluded to above, and Generals is also right about it being better to play a competitive 14-U schedule than an a weaker 16-U schedule. I think it's a potentially whole different argument when the player is 14 and entering high school vs. 13. When a college coach makes a general statement about it being good to play up, you have to consider the age and maturity of the player, and the kind of team she is playing up on. And keep in mind not all of those college coaches have been parents of teenagers themselves. I have seen quite a few overzealous parents have their DD's play up (and brag about it), and regretted it later. Again, while there could be a few exceptions, I think you're doing a disservice to the girl and her softball development, not to mention taking a risk I would not want to take with her social development. Get her on the best 14-U team she can get on, and she'll be much better off, and can start to see the college coaches the next couple of years when she's more ready for it.

IMO, if a 12u/13u kid is competitive against any 16u team, the 16u team is probably not a top caliber team. A "typical" high school varsity team has a mix of 16u and 18u kids, but sadly, many could not hit a top notch 13u pitcher. Bottom line - if you're finding yourself playing up quite often, you're not playing in competitive tournaments against high level team. Some top teams do play up occasionally in weaker tournaments to prepare for nationals, but that is not the norm.

Instead of playing up, why not seek out the absolute best competition and play teams in your own age group? You have two years at each age level - use that time to challenge yourself and improve your game!