Organization of a D1 Softball team

KO123

Reaction score
Ok. With a D1 fastpitch roster average of 20 players, and only 12 scholarships. What is the most common breakdown of the 12 scholarship? distribution by position?

For eample: In D1 baseball with roster average of 32 players and only 11.7 scholarships: 3.4 total are distributed among 8 RHP with usually 1 walk-on RHP. 2.3 are split among 6 LHP and no walk-ons. 1.5 are split by 3 catchers. The remaining 4.6 are split between Fielders. Average starter scholarship 1st base-0.4 2nd base-0.39, SS-0.63, 3rd-0.45, LF-0.65, CF-0.6, RF-0.38. The remaining 1 scholarship is split among all back-ups. Usually backups at 3rd LF and RF are all walk-ons. This was just one D1 breakdown but it is very close to the standard.

What is a typical D1 softball breakdown on a team. I know they would carry much less pitchers of course and not have to spend as much in that position.

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Ok. With a D1 fastpitch roster average of 20 players, and only 12 scholarships. What is the most common breakdown of the 12 scholarship? distribution by position?

For eample: In D1 baseball with roster average of 32 players and only 11.7 scholarships: 3.4 total are distributed among 8 RHP with usually 1 walk-on RHP. 2.3 are split among 6 LHP and no walk-ons. 1.5 are split by 3 catchers. The remaining 4.6 are split between Fielders. Average starter scholarship 1st base-0.4 2nd base-0.39, SS-0.63, 3rd-0.45, LF-0.65, CF-0.6, RF-0.38. The remaining 1 scholarship is split among all back-ups. Usually backups at 3rd LF and RF are all walk-ons. This was just one D1 breakdown but it is very close to the standard.

What is a typical D1 softball breakdown on a team. I know they would carry much less pitchers of course and not have to spend as much in that position.

I do not think there is a typical response I think that would be school to school, but you would guess 3-4 of those scholarships are going to go to 4 pitchers. 2 more to a couple catchers , So that would leave you 5 to 6 to fill out your athletic scholarship kids. Now those kids can range from just books up to 100 0/0 depending on the school and the player. I have seen some stud position players get 100 0/0 but most of the studs would be in the 70-80 0/0 range , but again you can't overload on those either other wise not enough money to fill your roster with quality players.
Most importantly though you have to figure out what your programs needs are and how best to spend your money. Then your walk on's which all schools have and how many is based on the school.

Now I did talk to a mid-major the other day and they do not give any freshman more then 40 0/0 but will increase over there four years. In my opinion it may be hard to compete doing that.

Fairman

Reaction score
I think to answer your question; generally pitchers receive the majority of the scholarships money followed by catchers, followed by hitters of every kind. However each school will use their scholarship money to fit their needs at that moment and no generalities can be determined.

You can't divorce the athletic scholarships form the academic scholarships, especially in softball. If your dd has done well in high school and well on her tests even D3's will be able to buy down the retail cost of college (with zero athletic money). So when a coach is recruiting they are very concerned with what the academics of that recruit might be. If they can recruit stellar students then that can stretch those scholarship dollars much further and those kids are more likely to become seniors.

Last edited: