Palm to keep score

Does anyone use a palm to keep score, stats... ?

Which software package do you use and how do you like it?

Dan

Dan,

I used Turbostats for the first time this year and loved it. It was challenging at first, but I got to the point where I can call pitches and keep track of a game. It will give you more stats than you know what to do with.

I did learn that if I got too confused during a game, to just turn it off and put the info in the palmpilot after the game from the book.

Also, if this is all you are going to use the palm pilot for, you can get an older model for under $100 off of e-bay and it will work great.

Scott

I use it to keep our team stats and hated it at first because the I wasn't sure how the "keypad" worked. I love it now and for someone that never ran a scorebook, this is great. Almost every possible play is in the software. Any specific questions and you can PM off post.
George
BTW Turbostats is loaded in the PALM.

I have a Palm Pilot ( Zire31 ) and I have a problem where I can't see it at all during the day. Has anyone had the same problem and if so, how did you correct it?

I use digital scout on a palm zire 31, and yes some times in the sun it is hard to see also it takes a little pratice time at first to get used to. It also needs all player information Names numbers and positions

I'm unsure as to what a digital scout is. Can you help me out? I have the latest version of Scorekeeper and it allows you to go batter by batter to start the game. I don't think the older versions allow you to do that.

I've used Scorekeeper on a Palm (actually Sony PDA) for 4-5 years. There is definitely a learning curve but after a while it becomes second nature. I have had a few umpires refuse to let me use it when coaching 1st base--they consider it a "safety hazard."

I use a Palm w/ Turbostats on the PC and Scorekeeper on the Palm. It saves hours of work creating your own stats or loading them into a program like Turbostats.

This is also my first year to use it. For several weeks we kept both a book and the palm until I got the hang of it. The detailed instructions you can print off their web site is a big help. After the games we can provide play by play information to parents that miss the games and they really like it.

The Scorekeeper software allows for pinch runners and flex players in the newer versions so that can be handled easily. There are some times you need to make a written note to change a few things on the PC side but only once in a while.

Does anyone use the pitch & pitch location options? Since I am new at the PDA, I haven't attempted that yet.

We use Scorekeeper and Turbostats. I doubt there is a better product out there. That having been said, there are some glitches (from prior posts, looks like we need to get updates to deal with the flex situation; do the updates also address courtesy runners?). And you need to be really careful about simply accepting the Scorekeeper calculation of earned runs. Frankly, I would never rely solely on the palm as a book. Batteries running out can be a nightmare and we've also had problems with: 1) getting behind because of crazy plays that are difficult to score on the palm and 2) "fatal errors" that shut the program down.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has been able to use the pitch location function. It seems too much to ask the person keeping the palm to score the game AND the pitch locations, but I can't figure out how an additional person could track only the pitch type/locations. Fortunately, it is very easy for the person keeping the palm to record strikes and balls, which is invaluable if you are interested in the pitch count for your pitcher.

Despite the problems, we love the program. When Scorekeeper fails in any given game, we simply manually enter the stats in Turbostats from the written book.

Do you have a screen protector on your palm? Also, are you turning your screen light off (this also saves a lot of battery time)? That's the set-up we use and only rarely am I struggling to read the screen.

Didn't know you could turn the screen light off. what kind of palm do you have? or how do you do that?

Regarding the courtesy runners, you can enter them in as a pinch runner. Regarding fatal errors, I had a couple of those and just rebooted the thing and I was ok. My palm has flash memory so I didn't loose anything. I have a handy car charger that I take if the batteries get low. Haven't had a problem yet.

I love looking at the opponents hit charts - it is much easier than carrying the heavy book with all the score sheets from previous games.

I know what you mean about the Earned run average. You also have to be careful with the pitches per game. It assumes every game is 6 or 7 innings according to your setup. If the game is over because of time at 5 innings - it will give you an "inflated" pitch per game ratio but the 3 of pitches and # strikes etc. is right. We also like to track 1st pitch strikes - it does that.

Mine's a relatively old M515. The screen light function is the upper right corner of the graffitti rectangle. Tap on that and a screen light dialogue box comes up.

Check out www.scorepad.com I have used them all and it is the only one on my Sony CLie. There is nothing it can't do. It knows what to expect and asks you if that is what you want to do. Has international tie breaker both 1 and 2 runners on. Spray charts for hitters so you know where they hit. Of course stats are a breeze they are done for you as you score. Free trial download ( Ithink 3 games). It is easier if you have a PDA with a full size screen, as there are automatic choices that show for your standard outs such as 6-3 5-3 4-3 etc. Anyway that is my 2 cents. 8) 8) 8)