Parents of first-time college players

travelinmom

Reaction score
DD has 6 years of travel experience and is heading off to college this month. I have been a huge proponent of her advocating for herself and not being one of those typical pitcher parents who nags the coaches about playing time or anything else. Hoping that is enough preparation for the next 4 years.
We are confident that she has selected the right school and softball program for her. College practice starts September 1. Any words of wisdom from those experienced college player parents about what to expect? Tips from your kids about how to manage studies and team?

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We were told to resist the urge to go visit or bring her home the first month or so, to let her get adjusted to this new way of life without mom and dad.
Often they have required team study tables at the end of every day where they all do their class work. Dont hesitate to ask for help, its there for the asking. Once she gets in the groove, shell be fine and eventually you will wonder who this new adult person is coming home.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Mom ... definitely good advice from Chris about letting her integrate into the college experience, and taking advantage of any study tables or the like. It does make a difference if you're talking about a D1 or D3 type experience, as the amount of commitment varies greatly. Many of the best friends my DD made in college were her teammates, even though the majority of them didn't play 4 years like herself. It is natural for her to be nervous about playing with upperclassmen, but she will quickly find out that there's not as much difference between them and her as she probably experienced in high school. Hopefully she doesn't have to crazy of a class load as she tries to settle in. It took my DD most of the first year to really settle in and get comfortable with things, and figure out how to balance studies, softball, and the rest of her social life. Best wishes to her ... these years will go way too fast for her and you!

travelinmom

Reaction score
First semester update on the DD:
Wow, I can't say she has changed but it is amazing how she has returned to the confident young lady she used to be. That slight regression before leaving in August was a little scary, I am glad it's over.
DD is rooming with some older girls on the softball team, has made friends with others, and taken advantage of all team bonding experiences. Coach is turning out to be exactly the person she portrayed during our visits last fall and winter. They had a team pumpkin carving contest in October and baked/decorated cookies right before finals week. She attended all team practices in September and captains' practices in November. DD also joined a service fraternity and is learning to play piano. All that and studying too! She came home only 3 times in 3 months, that includes Thanksgiving, and we went to campus only 1 day for fall game day. She will return to class January 5 and team practices start shortly after. She has expressed more nerves about working the hitting camp than she has about playing games. We are looking foward to seeing her play, games on-line will be a big change for us but she has one more summer of 18u ball ahead.