Pitcher has a boo boo

daboss

Reaction score
Can a pitcher use a band aid on her pitching hand? Can it be worn over a blister that has burst? We're talking about a standard flesh colored band aid from the medical kit. Not a Sponge Bob and Patrick type. Has there been a rule made in fastpitch? Honestly, I've never been asked this question before. Never had a girl want to wear one while pitching.

wow

Reaction score
From ASA site "The pitcher cannot wear a batting glove on her pitching hand or any other item that may distract the batter"

So a flesh colored would not be noticeable. However it could, arguable provide greater grip and be a point of contention, if it was pursued.

I think the old school TMNT Band aid is appropriate.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
ASA allows tape or an band aid on the pitching hand, with no restriction other than it can't be judged as distracting by the umpire.

High school has the same rule about it being distracting, plus their rule says that the tape/band aid may NOT be applied on the fingers at the contact points with the ball (and I imagine that if the pitcher has a blister, it's at one of the contact points).

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
i wonder if anyone makes sandpaper bandaids ...

might be a second addition to your wrist band plays jeff!!! Wristbands sold with a pouch to hold 80 grit sandpaper band aids lol

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I wonder if anyone makes sandpaper bandaids ...

We were in a tournament in 2011 when one of my coaches noticed the opposing pitcher putting something on her finger tips. We asked the HP umpire to check it out.
They were clear little circle things that went on your finger tips that had an adhesive on it.
They allowed her to use it.
Found out later it was a product called tacky finger. It also came in a wax form as well.
The general use is to sort paper but I could see where it could increase grip without increasing pressure on the ball.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Mine would tend to get hang nails along the cutical from pitching to much - we found New Skin hurts a lot less than Super Glue

longball00

Reaction score
My DD has 2-3 tubes of super glue in her bag at all times as well. She will use it to close a huge blister on her bottom hand from hitting, and also to seal any blisters or bleeding from her fingers on her pitching hand when needed. I'll never forget when people saw her seal up a blister the size of a dime on her palm with super glue when she was 9. Someone asked her if it hurt, and she said a little, but it works LOL!

FastBat

Reaction score
On a blister with that top skin part completely off, can super glue be used, it's a pitcher? She used epsom salt tonight. Should she just let it heal or top it with super glue/nuskin for this weekend, games start tomorrow night?

longball00

Reaction score
On a blister with that top skin part completely off, can super glue be used, it's a pitcher? She used epsom salt tonight. Should she just let it heal or top it with super glue/nuskin for this weekend, games start tomorrow night?

If she can stand the burn! My DD will take the skin off once it pops, and right to the super glue if she is at the field. If it's at home, she will let it air out and dry up, then cover it when she goes to play.

ValleyStorm

Reaction score
I have a secret weapon that I use for my pitchers fingers when blisters occur. Cannot divulge but it works very well. :cool:

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
How about "new skin" on finger as preventative to getting a blister. I used to tear my thumb every week bowling until I use it now as a coating to prevent it. Never had one since in 25 years...