Pitching and Pitchers Discussion pitching coach

i was going to call pitches(h.s.) head coach tells me i need my coaching license. can't find any reference to that rule.

Background check and fingerprints is the minimum if you are just a volunteer and will not be alone with the players. Also the concussion test is now an Ohio law

Not trying to be a jerk here, but maybe the HC doesn't want you in the dugout, and this is his way of avoiding conflict.

i'm not in the dugout. i can't find anything in the ohsaa book.

Much more likely a school policy than an OHSAA rule ...

If you are not on the coaching staff, I wouldn't let you call pitches either. Sit back and enjoy the game.

I am confused ... did the head coach ask you to call pitches, and then say you need to get a license, or did you volunteer to do it?

The HC is probable talking about PAP Certificate. All coaches associated with a school team has to have their Pupil Activity Permit certificate . This includes a taking the course Fundamentals of Coaching, First aid & CPR, FBI background check . If you are coaching and don't have a Pupil Activity Permit on file and the school is caught they would be fined $250.00 per coach. The certificate does get processed through the state.

I know you mean well, but I'd avoid this altogether and grab a seat in the stands.

There are a couple of reasons why it would appear to be a good idea, but you don't need the headaches that would come from a number of different directions if you were to "offer to help out". At this level, be a supportive fan on the outside of the fence.

IMHO

i was going to call pitches(h.s.) head coach tells me i need my coaching license. can't find any reference to that rule.

I think he just doesn't want you to get all the credit. Call the pitches anyway. You need to show him who's in charge!

So were you able to call pitches for the game last night ? Someone must have a done a decent job for a shut out.

Your daughter pitched well today against North. Hope her hand is ok, that was my daughter who hit it up the middle.

Calling pitches is catchers job.

I know this is infinite debate. Some catchers are smart and knowledgeable enough to call the game, some are not. Some players can get a bunt down and some can't. To make a blanket statement that "calling pitches is a catchers job" is unfair to the ones that athletically are very sound but may not have the common sense or experience to call a game. To put them in a situation they can't handle is unfair to them and their team mates. You have to evaluate whether your catcher can or can't handle calling a game on a case by case basis. If you are a good coach you do what's right by your players. It's not about being an ego-maniacal coach or empowering your catcher, it is making the right call for the team and the catcher. I know this is a thread hijack but one of my pet peeves.

So what you are saying is your catchers are not smart enough to call a game...??.. All my players once on the team at the first year of 12u where given a sheet to study from so they could call there own game. Why not teach your catchers to do this...?? Isn't it your job as a coach to get them there...??
So yes by the time they reach 14u the catcher should be able to call there own game. Now that doesn't mean the coach can't call a pitch or two. So when you say.............." you have to do what's right by the players" ....isn't that what IS right. By teaching them to call there own...?? I know that is what college coaches are looking for. Plus it then doesn't drag out the game by waiting on the coach to call pitches..OOOOOOH my god it takes forever!!!!....lol....Man does that screw up your pitchers rythm.
Just saying .......
Give a lady a fish she eats for a day ...Give her a pole she eats for life!!

Good Luck.........IMO

What I said I thought was pretty clear. I didn't say they weren't smart enough, I said common sense and experience. In a perfect world my catcher, my pitcher and I are all on the same page. I would have enough time to relay all I know about hitters I have seen in our conference for the past three years to my freshman catcher or first year starting sophomore catcher but sometimes that's not possible given we play 23 games in 27 days or whatever. As a school ball coach I don't have the reams of information that college coaches have to enable them to call every single pitch but I may know a bit more than my rookie catcher. I do agree that that a cathcer has a much better eye on what the hitters are doing in terms of position in the batters box, their demeanor, how blue is calling the zone, which pitches are working for my pitcher, etc. And I like the concept of letting her call the game with me having the option of calling a pitch when I really want that CU, rise or whatever. You can also have the situation of pitcher and catcher not liking each other or the pitcher not liking the pitch selection from the catcher. I had that in the past, it was funny yet exasperating to watch my pitcher shake off three called pitches in a row and then throw what she wanted anyway. I trusted my pitcher more than I did my catcher but she wanted to call games so I let her, until it obviously was causing game delays with all the shook off signs and tension between the two. Plus I couldn't convince this catcher that if the batter was fouling off pitches over the backstop that a drop ball wasn't the pitch to call or if if the RH batter kept pulling them foul that a CU might be a better pitch instead of a another FB. PS, If you are wondering why I would call or teach a FB, this girl's FB had good movement, a cutter type of break. If she threw it in the middle of the plate it was on the black by the time it crossed the plate. She had great natural movement.