Pitching and Pitchers Discussion Pitching Coaches

Tornado35

Reaction score
I was curious as to who the best pitching coaches are in the state of Ohio and where they are located?

coyote01

Reaction score
Bill Hillhouse is in Alliance on wed . Contact House of Pitching on the web for more info.

Klump

Reaction score
Julie Boyes - Akron
Alanna (Barker) Overholt -Akron
Amy Kyler - Akron
I've never used the Lefew's but I hear they are very good - NEO

RDAWG5365

Reaction score
Mandee Luers-Stow
Check her out at Make The Change Fastpitch.
mtcfastpitch.com

longball00

Reaction score
The best pitching coach for one DD, may not be the best pitching coach for every DD. Finding the right fit for your DD is like finding the right team IMHO. Try a few that are mentioned, and see which one she relates and works best with. I brought my DD to a pitching camp held by the Lefew group last summer, and DD got a chance to work with a handful of coaches. When it was all over, she had made a choice of who she liked to work with, and started up. It has been working very well since.

GirlonFire

Reaction score
The best way to pick a pitching instructor for your daughter is to do your research about the potential instructor.
There are are many fine pitching instructors in Ohio (the forementioned group) My daughter works with an instructor: Brittany Mullen who teaches pitching based on Biomechanics. She has been with her for two years, and we are very pleased with the results.
Did you know there're certain pitches that you can not throw safely, this information is backed by medical research, physics, and common sense.
Ask yourself this: How safe are your daughter's mechanics? How efficient and effective are her mechanics?
If you'd like to know more about the Biomechanics based pitching style Brittany teaches contact her: brittanylmullen.com
Brittany Mullen
(330) 620-6513

Last edited:

Laser05

Reaction score
My daughter is young and just second year of lessons with good instructors. She was not comfortable with her first coach so we made a change,and then second coach had to return to school so we lost that connection that she really liked. After that I decided to research more and find a coach that was established who she could be with for years to come. Now she is with Yates Pitching and very happy with Don and Jimmy. She loves her coaches and believes they want the best for her which is key. It is that connection that is very important.

chixdad

Reaction score
Not saying anything bad about the rest, but DD goes to Amie Leffew and loves her. When you talk to Amie or Dave about the girls they work with it's some of the top High School pitchers around, along with some young ones that will make a name for themselves.

Longtoss1

Reaction score
My daughter started out with one pitching coach and then for circumstances beyond her control was forced to change. We looked around and decided to go with Amie Leffew, and it has made a huge difference. Amie has really taken my daughters game to a new level and she has only been with her for about 8 months now. But as LongBall said shop around and find one that A) knows what they are doing, and B) meshes with your daughter.

bigdaddyo1972

Reaction score
My daughter started out with a pitching coach that was well known in our area and my daughter and him just didn't click. Nothing against him as he was very knowledgeable but just not the right personality for her. We now see a new pitching coach and we couldn't be happier and she is also the pitching coach for the Ross High school where my daughter will be attending starting next year.

www.ramball.org

Rachel Richardson
Varsity Assistant Coach- Pitching Instructor
6th season
Ross HS '01 Alumnus.'01 All-State & All FAVC (2 yrs) & '01 FAVC Player of Year while RHS player. Played college softball at Tiffin University ('05 All-American) & Asst Coach (2 yrs). Ross JV Coach (5 yrs).​

Field of Dreams

Reaction score
Website
www.fieldofdreamsohio.com
The best pitching coach for one DD, may not be the best pitching coach for every DD. Finding the right fit for your DD is like finding the right team IMHO. Try a few that are mentioned, and see which one she relates and works best with. I brought my DD to a pitching camp held by the Lefew group last summer, and DD got a chance to work with a handful of coaches. When it was all over, she had made a choice of who she liked to work with, and started up. It has been working very well since.

I have to agree with this 100%. We at Field of Dreams have two pitching coaches who can work with kids. Are they the right pitching coach for every kid? No. I like Diet Coke, but that doesn't mean you have to. Lonball said it best....
Most people who answer this will probably steer you towards their pitching coach. That's understandable since that's the decision they made & sending you elsewhere ought to raise red flags.
There are dozens of quality coaches in Ohio.
Mark Blasczyk in Newark is very good.
Amber Noice is Lancaster very Good.
Bill Hillhouse is very good.
Lefew, I have heard is very good.

Good luck to you!

bell27

Reaction score
My DD just recently started with Mark Blasczyk and sees him in Mt. Vernon. He is very good. My daughter, husband and I all like him. He is good at showing us what she is or isn't doing so when we work at home we can remind her of the proper mechanics. She is only 10 so that is very important.

TOOFLY1

Reaction score
Jimmy Yates....Love his pitching style! He works with my dd on correct mechanics, and I think focuses not on just what level you are involved in now, but where you are headed in the future... Very, very good instructor for my young player...

coachjwb

Reaction score
I'm admittedly very biased but I've also heard a ton of compliments re: my daughter, Sarah Baker, who works out of T3 in Avon in Northeast Ohio. I know she is especially good with some of the younger girls just getting started. Sarah holds the career wins record at Baldwin Wallace University, is the Assistant Softball Coach at Tri-C College, and is also a K-3 teacher.

Reaction score
I'm admittedly very biased but I've also heard a ton of compliments re: my daughter, Sarah Baker, who works out of T3 in Avon in Northeast Ohio. I know she is especially good with some of the younger girls just getting started. Sarah holds the career wins record at Baldwin Wallace University, is the Assistant Softball Coach at Tri-C College, and is also a K-3 teacher.

My daughters both love her.....and need to start scheduling!!! :)

chixdad

Reaction score
I have met Sarah, she is a very nice young lady. If Mallory wasn't so happy with Amie, Sarah would be the next option.

snoman76

Reaction score
In my opinion, of all the pitching lessons I've been to Amie Leffew is head and shoulders above all others. I'm not a parent of a pitcher but I attend my teams pitchers lessons so I can better understand what they are being taught. The things Amie does during her lessons and how she works with the girls is beyond great.