Players, need em but cant find em

kstod

Reaction score
Website
www.leaguelineup.com
Looking for 1 or 2 more players to round out team and struggling. We are not trying to be picky but would love to know how these teams find players on a whim without even trying. Any thoughts, help or anything is appreciated.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
At 16/18U its tough...There just are not as many ladies available at the older ages.

I would have your current ladies try to recruit from their HS teams. Depending on schedule and fees this can be an option for some ladies. I know of 16/18 having to get little sisters (12/14) to field a team (worst case).
If you have strong pitching and catching that is a plus when trying to get ladies /families that have travel experience so make sure to state what you have

We were part of a larger organization so tryouts had good attendance and I also had some other options if needed so we never had less than 11 at our lowest point.
The key is to start working on your team as soon as the summer season ends. Do not wait to mid/late fall especially at the older ages. Know who you have coming back before the end of the season. I never waited for a parent to test the waters and then get back to me (they were either in or out at the end of year meeting)

Last edited:

Stedman00

Reaction score
The older the girls get, the fewer stay in softball. Departures range from other sports, jobs, boyfriends, realize they don't want to work as hard as needed to improve, lack of interest, injuries, etc. Too numerous to list.

If you look at the forum for teams looking for players you can see a large number of teams in 16 & 18u looking for players and higher percentage yet looking for pitchers and catchers in those ages. And both those positions are the ones taking the most extra work and dedication to excel at. No coincidence.

I would have to agree with CARDS above about starting early on getting girls & families on board. Usually , there are a raft of tryouts come early August here in Cincy area.

Some teams are able to attract players at all times based on history and reputation. And others struggle finding players based on same criteria. Example, if you witness Team XYZ winning several tourneys at multiple ages, for several years, people assume that it is strong org and great teams to play for. Conversely, if you see Team PDQ getting the snot kicked out of them all the time, they might not be on your short list of dream orgs to join.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

wow

Reaction score
Agree with the above. Older ages all kinds of outside forces. Everyone wants to be a part of a winning program. What age are you looking for? Also not sure how strong softball is in the PA panhandle, but usually the larger the area you pull from the more kids you draw. Perhaps is your geography a challenge more than anything else ?

kstod

Reaction score
Website
www.leaguelineup.com
The worst part about it, we are set with pitchers and catchers. I am looking 1-2 outfield/utility players. Think that would be the easiest to find.

Travel softball has gotten too out of hand. Too many teams that are spread so thin. Take for example Erie, PA is a small town, a lot of kids and schools. Originally, 10 years ago there was one travel team organization in Erie county. Up until 6 years ago there was 2 organizations. Both very competitive and talented. In the last few years it has blown up to 7 different organizations soaking up a lot of players.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Agree with the above. Older ages all kinds of outside forces. Everyone wants to be a part of a winning program. What age are you looking for? Also not sure how strong softball is in the PA panhandle, but usually the larger the area you pull from the more kids you draw. Perhaps is your geography a challenge more than anything else ?

My DD is on an 18U team with mostly Seniors - we have 15 girls and still cant get enough players to do all the tournaments that were scheduled - The two available pitchers are my DD (Freshman) and a sophomore the senior pitchers are not available about half the summer.

There are weeks when there were only 7 or 8 girls available.

FastBat

Reaction score
...I know of 16/18 having to get little sisters (12/14) to field a team (worst case).

Not a bad idea. We used to do that.

Plus, you could possibly find a group of girls in 14u that could play 16u and just play at 16u level with the 16u girls. I think a girl that has been playing softball since she was 7 or 8 could at least hang at the 16u level, as a 13 year old.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Not a bad idea. We used to do that.

Plus, you could possibly find a group of girls in 14u that could play 16u and just play at 16u level with the 16u girls. I think a girl that has been playing softball since she was 7 or 8 could at least hang at the 16u level, as a 13 year old.

We played a Stunners team at 18U that had a unbelievable CF at a fall college tournament. She was able to keep them in the game with some unbelievable catches and throws (not a bad slapper either as she was also their lead off hitter)

I was talking to her dad after the game and found out she was 13 and her sister that played left field was 17 both could have been twins you could not tell which one was the older sibling.

At 14U we played some 16U events and at 16U some 18U and open events. We were very competitive vs the older teams and it helped build confidence in the ladies.

Last edited:

FastBat

Reaction score
...jobs, boyfriends...

These are the dumbest reasons to not play softball.
1. Jobs...I know kids are expensive, but they have the rest of their lives to work, play softball.
2. Boyfriends...I don't need to explain why this is a dumb reason to quit softball.

Stedman00

Reaction score
1. Jobs...I know kids are expensive, but they have the rest of their lives to work, play softball.
2. Boyfriends...I don't need to explain why this is a dumb reason to quit softball.

Did not say that the reasons were good, but they are items that pull girls away from softball.

yossarian

Reaction score

As the dad of a girl, it bums me out to think this is a real reason that people hear a lot. I would assume you don't hear many boys saying they're dropping out of sports for girlfriends. Any boy who makes my kid feel like she should quit something she's good at and loves is going to have a real tough time at our house.

But I wonder if some girls who feel burnout may say it's jobs and boyfriends because they may feel those are more "legitimate" reasons as opposed to just not wanting it as much as they used to?

FastBat

Reaction score
Did not say that the reasons were good, but they are items that pull girls away from softball.

Oh, I agree. Sorry, I was not suggesting you were. But, I have actually heard these recently. Such a shame.

As the dad of a girl, it bums me out to think this is a real reason that people hear a lot. I would assume you don't hear many boys saying they're dropping out of sports for girlfriends. Any boy who makes my kid feel like she should quit something she's good at and loves is going to have a real tough time at our house.

But I wonder if some girls who feel burnout may say it's jobs and boyfriends because they may feel those are more "legitimate" reasons as opposed to just not wanting it as much as they used to?

Could be. But, I don't believe in "burn out" because I think if you really love something, is it possible you could "burn out" from it? Or were they just not into it that much? Or maybe they don't like to play at the level they are playing at; too serious, or too relaxed and not competitive enough. I see some kids play a combined year, in all from one sport, and mainly rec ball, and they say they are 'burned out"...really? My guess is they never really enjoyed it to begin with.

I have been around softball since I was 7 years old, younger if you consider all of my dads slow pitch games I attended, yet here I am still plugging away...no "burn out".

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com

Most travel softball families do not experience these issues but over the years I did have several ladies/families that struggled or gave up playing at a travel level because of cost. At 16 and above over 50% of my players did hold down part time jobs and were still able to meet our team expectations. Some however have to help support the family and with the breakdown in the family environment the past decade it seems that more and more need to help out with siblings or household income. I posted a couple links on income and poverty just in our area.

Boyfriends are a part of life. If you think that when they hit HS its not you are fooling yourself.
Most can balance their relationships and sports but some cannot. I have seen where some ladies decide they get more enjoyment going to watch the boyfrend play rather than playing themselves. Go to any varsity Boys contest and you will see what I am talking about, Not that it is a good reason to walk away but many do.

http://wvxu.org/post/overview-childhood-poverty-our-region#stream/0
http://www.bestplaces.net/economy/city/ohio/cincinnati

FastBat

Reaction score
Most travel softball families do not experience these issues but over the years I did have several ladies/families that struggled or gave up playing at a travel level because of cost. At 16 and above over 50% of my players did hold down part time jobs and were still able to meet our team expectations. Some however have to help support the family and with the breakdown in the family environment the past decade it seems that more and more need to help out with siblings or household income. I posted a couple links on income and poverty just in our area.

Boyfriends are a part of life. If you think that when they hit HS its not you are fooling yourself.
Most can balance their relationships and sports but some cannot. I have seen where some ladies decide they get more enjoyment going to watch the boyfrend play rather than playing themselves. Go to any varsity Boys contest and you will see what I am talking about, Not that it is a good reason to walk away but many do.

http://www.bestplaces.net/economy/city/ohio/cincinnati
Thanks! Great info! Yes, I understand how terrible poverty is and how hard it is to be a child in that situation.

Having played softball for many years in my life, my comments applied to the players who wanted material things or 'extra stuff' and choose working over playing softball, even if they really loved softball. When you are 15-16 years old, the idea of a car is so exciting. Most kids, and sometimes their parents, don't realize the years of being eligible to play softball will end, they can't get those years back. But, no matter how old you are, beyond 18, you can always work hard and save to buy 'things' like a cell phone or car.

You just can't get these softball years back! I know, first hand, how fast it goes.

Besides, if a player had played travel softball for years before they were 15-16 years old, and their family was able to provide that experience; I'm not sure they would actually be considered poverty stricken? I understand, that things change with family finances (thank heaven for orgs like Stay In Softball), but I was only speaking to the players who wanted material things, then I think it's really stupid to quit softball.

Last edited:

crystlemc

Reaction score
Everyone's priorities change over time. Your priorities are likely different than they were 10 years ago. My DD gave up travel ball because her priorities changed. She still loves softball so she plays HS ball. Her reasons are her reasons, regardless if you think they are stupid. To her, they are completely valid. I'm sure you have made decisions in your life that others think are stupid.

FastBat

Reaction score
/\/\/\Absolutely, very true. But, having different opinions is what makes the world interesting. Btw, I'm more than 100% positive I have made some really stupid choices in my life or at least in other people's opinion!

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Well late March and many of the same teams at all ages are still looking....

Good Luck in your search but, one thing that I have stated before when posting looking for ladies...Be honest and specific!!! Its MARCH....Where are you playing...Who do you have...If you have a stud hitter, pitcher etc. put that in your post...
This time of year everyone is playing a competitive schedule with a team full of all stars missing that one or two to fill the roster.

I would post my schedule and roster, along with what High School they played for and always had parents calling.