Portable Heater in dugout???

oiler_pride

Reaction score
Are portable heaters (Mr Buddy, Propane style) allowed in dugouts for OHSAA High School games? Is there a specific rule against it? With the miserable spring in Ohio many games are being played at temps that are close to or below 40 degrees.

Not for warming bats but for warming girls hands,feet, etc. Please share any rule clarifications or references.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Their rule book makes no mention of dugout heaters.

manitoudan

Reaction score
Dont know about HS but our torpedo heater has set great on several games this spring . ( NAIA )

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
we were just talking about this... what if a parent puts a personal one in the dugout and a girl gets burned or worse... clothes catch fire. Who is responsible? can the school get sued? or the parent that brought it get sued? hmmm...

oiler_pride

Reaction score
So being Heaters are not mentioned in OHSAA or NFHS rule books, does that mean they are allowed?

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I thought the rule on that was if one team has one then the other team needs to have one. Or basically both teams have them or neither team has them.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
If it's not prohibited in the rules, then I would say it's legal.

I don't see anything that says you would have to provide one for both teams.

If somebody else has documentation that says otherwise, then please post it here. Absent that, I would allow the heater.

(I'm not going to attempt to answer what legal ramifications there might be if someone was injured by the heater. Generally, during a school sponsored activity the school is responsible for the well-being of the students.)

FastBat

Reaction score
Yes, I think heaters in dug outs are fine.

It's April 17 and snowing where I live? Lol, I probably live someplace too cold, but when do HS/MS teams get their games in?

Please don't say Fall...that's a pipe dream!