Praise for some umpires at Columbus World Series

finfan365

Reaction score
I know umpires take a lot of criticism on the field, and online, but I have to post some praise for the team working field 30 all day Friday at Berliner. These guys managed the game well, handled some unpleasant fans at times, and made sure all of the 8u girls who played that field, had a great time, even taking selfies with both teams after the game.

MadT

Reaction score
Well I am very glad the 8u had a good experience, wish I could say the same for the 10u umpires over by field 21.

spike43207

Reaction score
Well I am very glad the 8u had a good experience, wish I could say the same for the 10u umpires over by field 21.

The umps on 26 for the 1 pm 10U game were horrible as well! The plate umpire even came over and apologized to our girls after the game.

FastBat

Reaction score
I know umpires take a lot of criticism on the field, and online, but I have to post some praise for the team working field 30 all day Friday at Berliner. These guys managed the game well, handled some unpleasant fans at times, and made sure all of the 8u girls who played that field, had a great time, even taking selfies with both teams after the game.

What a positive experience for 8u's, how awesome! It's nice to hear about great umps!

I'm sorry to hear about the 10's experience.

finfan365

Reaction score
Sorry for the 10u experience. We were lucky enough to have some good umpiring in the semi finals and finals of the gold bracket as well. We only had one game with some less than desirable umps. Luckily that game got rained out on Friday, and we got to replay it with another crew.

dominic21

Reaction score
As coaches, we always discuss the umpires. All of us at Columbus couldn't agree more. Great job thus weekend.

gcg3refs

Reaction score
For 14U, we were on the fields 25,23,24,22, fields were still muddy from the line of rain that went through on Friday, having most everyone play all day on Saturday. The umpires were mostly very good to excellent throughout the extreme heat and humidity that they had to work through during the day. Compared to last years umps, it seemed like we had MLB umps this year.

SB71

Reaction score
Depended on the field as good as 27 the exact opposite on 28. Crew on 27 took questions and conferenced changed call if first was incorrect, busted it to get into position and get the best view to make the call, friendly to the girls/coaches/fans. 28 just lazy, arrogant, and rude. This isn't bitterness either we got eliminated on 27 not 28. I made a point to find them after we got eliminated and thank them for the job they did all weekend on 27.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
From my experiences.....

The TD must take care of the umpires, especially when it is very hot. Umpires work for the TD. As in any line of work, if an employer puts employees out in the field without support, then you will see failure.

Imagine yourself out there on the field, 90 degree plus temperatures, dusty, humid. You are miserable, no matter your normal temperament. Now throw in some know-it-all parents who have never been in your situation. A perfect recipe for the evolving of a bad temperament. It will happen.

But, if the TD were to ensure that the umpires have plenty of cold water and maybe a cold wet towel to wipe their faces, then maybe everyone would have a more enjoyable game. Heck, why couldn't the parents do this? It would be human decency, wouldn't it? I'm not saying do it 100%of the time but what would it take for someone from the side to reach into a cooler and pull out a cold water for someone who is very hot??? This doesn't mean that you will get a close call, but it sends a signal that everyone (the girls, coaches, parents, and umpires) is in this together, through thick and thin.

Not just umpiring but any worker who sees that his employer or customer is very appreciative of his/her efforts will go the extra mile. In any field of work, you will have employees that just don't care but I think those are well outnumbered by the employees that really care about putting a good product out there.

Just a thought.....:confused:

Last edited:

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
That's a nice thought, I suppose. But umpires need to be aware of the conditions and take steps to take care of themselves. You can't rely on somebody else to supply you with water, food, etc. You should be making sure to bring the necessities with you, if that's what you need to do a good job. And not just to do a good job, but to protect your health!

finfan365

Reaction score
We were able to play in the gold bracket championship game, and ended up having to stop play for about 15-20 minutes due to the home plate ump becoming a little ill from overheating. Luckily he was ok, and even came back to finish calling the game. I always try to keep a couple of extra waters on hand, and make an offer to an ump if they look like they need it. I can't imagine trying to stand out there all day in pads, long pants, and shirt.