Catching and Catchers discussion Preferred Catcher Technique

InSider

Reaction score
I have seen many catcher's techniques in my time involved with fastpitch. My oldest daughter, now in her late 20's, took the "typical" fastpitch catcher's stance: up on the toes, sitting on the heels. My youngest daughter was taught flat feet, toes pointed down the baselines, wider stance. A baseball type stance, if you will. My oldest didn't "frame" so much as she pulled the ball into the zone. My youngest was taught to take the catcher's mitt "around" the ball so that the inside was always pointed toward the plate. My youngest was also taught 3 stances; sign stance, regular stance, and runner's on. My oldest had 1 stance and just made sure she hid her fingers while dropping signs. Way back in my day, we basically did whatever was comfortable and worked for us at the time. Of course, I don't recall any private instruction for much of anything, either.

I do know that many college catchers currently give lessons. I also know that you can buy DVD's from New England Catching Camp that are very good for instruction.

What do you teach your catchers? Why do you believe what you are teaching is the proper way to play the catching position?

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
The stances taught to your younger daughter are more the normal in today's game assuming the catchers can actually do it. Some catchers simply don't have the balance or skill. We'd taken the knee-savers off so the girls could practice what we wanted and not have a chance to "cheat" but when the girls get older we give them back and take what we have. This game has evolved and the girls are very capable. The days of simply hoping the catcher will please simply catch a pitch have passed. Get proactive and teach the good stuff at a young age cause if they're going to make it at that position they'll need it later. It'll be expected.

Reaction score
I personally believe the catcher is the most-neglected position on the field. Yet, besides the pitcher, the catcher will touch the ball more than anybody else on the field. She is the "field general" so to speak, so this is THE position that actually should receive even more instruction and training than any other besides maybe the pitcher.
Most coaches don't know what exactly to teach to the catchers, however they do know that they expect the girls to block the ball, to frame the pitches, to deal with the runners on base, to give the signs secretly to the pitcher, to handle bunted balls, to be aware of delayed steals, to catch those pop-ups, to block the plate properly & safely when there is a play at the plate, to retrieve the wild pitches and get the ball back to the pitcher quickly to throw runners out at 2nd & 3rd, to pick the runners off of bases. I could go on & on. Coaches expect all of this.
Now it's time for a reality check, coaches.
How many of you are teaching these players the exact techniques to do all of these things? Probably very few.
How many of you even know the correct techniques to accomplish all of these tasks? Certainly even less!

As a good rule of thumb, no coach should ever expect a player to do something that the coach has not taught the players to do, and practiced doing. That is my motto....I don't expect my players to do anything they have not been taught how to do, and practiced doing.
So...back to catching...they are expected, but they are not taught. That is where I come in.
I give catching lessons at Field of Dreams. I personally have worked with 7-8 year olds who want to learn the techniques of the position so they have a head start when they get to kid pitch. I also currently work with a few college catchers on refining their skills. Most of my students are between 10-15 years old and I am working with about 20 students.

If you really want to be a good catcher, remember that it is NOT going to happen by accident. You must invest the time into working on your skill and you must be taught the proper techniques.

(Shameless plug time) If you want to become the best catcher you can be, contact me to discuss a training schedule. Chris 740-503-7563.
I leave no stone un-turned. We will cover EVERY aspect of the position; stances, glove work, balance, angles, hand movement, safety & protection, throwing techniques (multiple techniques), FOOTWORK (we will spend a LOT of time on footwork), making decisions, handing runners on base, handling bunts, handling swinging pop-flies, handling bunt pop-flies (hint--swinging & bunt pop flies are handled differently & if you didn't know that, then you need me!), blocking, handling passed balls, plays at the plate, etc. etc.
If you want to be the best catcher around then you should consider working with the catching instructor who teaches the entire position. Lessons are competitive with other instructors in the area and are given at Field of Dreams in Lancaster.
Call / text Chris at 740-503-7563. I will be adding more lesson hours & days starting this fall.

Last edited: