Question about age and league...

January 5 Birthday, 12U or 14U..has always played up

• 12U

• 14U

Results are only viewable after voting.

DLamb

Reaction score
This might be in wrong forum, if so, please direct me to correct one. My kid is 12, will be 13 in first 7 days of 2019, should I try her at 14u or go with a 12U?

jt7663

Reaction score
Lots of Factors ... Experience , Position Played , If a Pitcher there are numerous reasons for Staying @ 12u or moving up.

clv6963

Reaction score
As far as the rules go, her age is determined as of January 1st of that year. So if she will still be 12 as of January 1st you have the option of keeping her in 12u. It has been my experience that kids who tend to be older in their division - as your daughter would be - tend to stand out and do well because a year of development is a lot at that age. If you move her to 14u she will be one of the youngest ones on the team, and therefore may not shine as much. On the flip side - she will have to rise to the challenge. You play with better athletes, you get better.

It's really a personal choice that you and your family have to make. I would take into consideration, not only physical ability but also mental toughness and maturity. If you put her on a 14u team, there are liable to be girls who are actually 15 by the time summer rolls around. Which means they will talk (and have experiences) that is common of a 15 yo girl, that might be a bit much for a 13yo girl.

Just my 2 cents....

finfan365

Reaction score
We went through the same issue you are going through a couple of years ago. My daughter had been the sole 04 on an all 03 team, but she loved the team and they all gelled. We decided to go ahead and move her up. I think in the end it was the best decision. She went from being the baby of the team to one of the leaders as a pitcher. It forced her to work harder.

If your DD likes to be challenged, go ahead and move her up.

Last edited:

DLamb

Reaction score
So she has already played two years at 12U?

I have coached her all but one year of T-Ball. She has been rec kid. She thought about moving on last year but wanted one more year in rec to have fun...She did play up with 18U teams as a sub when needed and played with them, getting hits off decent pitching.

DLamb

Reaction score
Lots of Factors ... Experience , Position Played , If a Pitcher there are numerous reasons for Staying @ 12u or moving up.

She does pitch and constantly improving. We are to the point now she is getting lessons to improve..$ had to be figured out. She has a good swing and tournament average last year was around .680 and on base % this season was close to .800 or so with maybe 3 Ks swinging, and a couple called. She is patient at bat but that is with rec kids pitching, she knows travel pitchers will be more consistently across plate and has to be more aggressive at bat.

We are working to find what she does pitching as she has a wicked curveball...hopefully instructor can find it and she can throw it more consistent.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have coached her all but one year of T-Ball. She has been rec kid. She thought about moving on last year but wanted one more year in rec to have fun...She did play up with 18U teams as a sub when needed and played with them, getting hits off decent pitching.

You have a DD who will be 12U eligible, who has never played Travel ball...…..
Do her a favor & find her a 12U Travel team to play on this coming season! End of discussion...…..

Stedman00

Reaction score
I have to echo Captain Thunder. Going from Rec to travel is going to open eyes enough (hers and yours), adding playing against 14u competition and that is recipe for disaster. IMO.

Also, if at almost 13 years old and just now getting a pitching coach, your DD is maybe 3-4 years behind in development and growth of other travel pitchers in her age class. As a dad of a pitcher, if she is just starting lessons, I would expect slow growth for quite awhile as she is taught (or has to relearn) portions of her motion and pitching style that are currently incorrect. Most instructors require good command of FB and change up and fundamentals before even considering instruction on any other 'movement' pitches.

Good luck with your decision.

OhPhat

Reaction score
I would agree with the others. She will be a 1st travel player and 12u eligible, have Her play 12u. Nothing against rec ball but travel fastpitch is a much different game, and will require adjustment to not just pitching accuracy and speed but the speed of the game in general. In my opinion, To give her the best opportunity to be successful have her play 12u.

josie

Reaction score
north central-northwest central-central ohio
Agree -12u simply for the mental adjustment she is going to have to make. Even if she doesn't pitch, base running in travel ball is a whole new ballgame as well as the hitting game. Give her a chance to be successful, 14u may frustrate her. The goal is to still have them like softball at the end of the season.