Question

Canfieldcrush100

Reaction score
This is a hypothetical question I thought it would be interesting to pose to the masses.
2 girls of equal talent any position. Player A plays for very talented highly competitive team. She is a marginal player on this team bats at the bottom of the order and platoons with other players in her position plays about 50% of the outs. Both teams play similar competition. Team A wins 80% of the games they play.

Player B plays for a marginal team but is one of top players. Bats top of the order plays 95% of the outs. Team B wins 60% of their games.

Both the girls are passionate and have similar off season training.

Which player is going to develop at a better rate?

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
B - if they are both playing the same schedule, shes getting more reps at the position.

But... why is A 20% better? - Is it the coaching or the tallent. If it's the coaching then you may want to lean a little more to A

tjsmize3

Reaction score
What if player A decides to EARN 95% of the playing time over the next 1-2 years on her team and decides to OUTWORK player B by practicing harder and smarter? What is she takes it on herself to raise her level of play and that of the girls around her to the point they win 95% of their games? I have always wanted my DDs to be player A. Would rather set the standard high early on and teach them to chase, then to think they have already arrived because they see 95% of the time on a lesser team/lesser schedule. DREAM BIG WORK HARD! ... sorry, big JJ Watt fan :D

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
Rethinking my answer -if we are talking long term ...

If Coaching and competition are equal...
then Player A has a lot more pressure for her to raise her potential because the better players will push her to work harder (to stay competitve with them or try to overtake them),
where the marginal players on Player B's team will just lead her to apathy since she is already better than most of them.

yossarian

Reaction score
I get that the question was designed to get good conversation going. But it's impossible to answer. Too many variables.

I like Tom's what-if answer though. If the girl is an inspired worker like he said, she'll go further playing on the better team. But what if she's at a point in life where her confidence isn't rock solid, then it could hurt her to always be at the bottom.

It all depends on the girl.

Bullbuck

Reaction score
If you want to send a top player to little village on the other side of Boardman, we'd be glad to take a look at her! DW :)

poden-smoden

Reaction score
What if player A decides to EARN 95% of the playing time over the next 1-2 years on her team and decides to OUTWORK player B by practicing harder and smarter? What is she takes it on herself to raise her level of play and that of the girls around her to the point they win 95% of their games? I have always wanted my DDs to be player A. Would rather set the standard high early on and teach them to chase, then to think they have already arrived because they see 95% of the time on a lesser team/lesser schedule. DREAM BIG WORK HARD! ... sorry, big JJ Watt fan :D

This was going to be my answer almost exactly. This creates an opportunity to get better and earn it more so than the one that is already there! Lived this!

Canfieldcrush100

Reaction score
If you want to send a top player to little village on the other side of Boardman, we'd be glad to take a look at her! DW :)

No thanks DW! We'll keep them all here. That question has always been in the back of my mind I've argued both POV with equal conviction. Depends on player to be sure but always come back to game experience over pressure to earn that time.

MD 20/20

Reaction score
I think if all variables are equal, such as coaching, player drive, etc. I would always take more reps. That's only if all variables are equal

Canfieldcrush100

Reaction score
B - if they are both playing the same schedule, shes getting more reps at the position.

But... why is A 20% better? - Is it the coaching or the tallent. If it's the coaching then you may want to lean a little more to A

Overall Talent. That's what I was trying to relay that top player on team B can make team A but gets less playing time due high quality team pulling players from 50-75 miles away vs 5-15 mile draw.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
No thanks DW! We'll keep them all here. That question has always been in the back of my mind I've argued both POV with equal conviction. Depends on player to be sure but always come back to game experience over pressure to earn that time.

My DD Worked hard to be the best on Team C (BAD team) at 10's to be able to make the jump to be one of the best on Team B at 12's (mediocre) - now made Team A at 14's and will have to earn time.
There are a lot of perks to being on a team with better players - if you are willing to work and have already put in the time - Better players will push you to work harder as I said just to keep up.

So I guess were betting on the Team A scenario -

FastBat

Reaction score
It depends on the player, it depends on the player's age, it depends on what "team B" consists of, too many "what if's". It just depends on the situation, tough to say, no two situations are exactly the same!

Last edited:

yossarian

Reaction score
I think if all variables are equal, such as coaching, player drive, etc. I would always take more reps. That's only if all variables are equal

I think I'm with you in the OP's scenario. It would be more interesting to debate is team B only won 20%.

Fun facts (For the "yeah-butters" out there: I realize this has almost no relevance to Fastpitch):

Royals: 58%
Blue Jays: 57%
Mets: 55%
(Best-Cards: 61%)
(Worst-Phil: 38%)

wow

Reaction score
If you want to get better you have to surround yourself with athletes who are better. I can see a younger kid gaining confidence by being the best player. However at the older ages its about pushing your team to get better and the constant work to achieve playing time fuels the competitiveness of the group. Earning a spot and play time is critical. I think you put your kid on the best team you can and let them figure out the rest. W/L only tells a small part of the story. What is the schedule like? Do you play 10+ months a year? What about exposure? like others have said lots of variables here.

Fairman

Reaction score
It can never be....'all things being equal'..... but if it was.....

I'd have my dd play where she gets more reps and more opportunities but supplement that with going to high quality showcases and team camps, especially of target schools.

Lets say she is a pitcher. On the better team she might pitch 6 innings a weekend but never on Sunday.....on the weaker team she'll pitch two games in pool play and the first game on Sunday for say 18 meaningful innings. Much better than watching other kids and chasing foul balls for kicks. Furthermore on the weaker team she'll likely bat in the upper part of the order 18 - 20 times over the weekend while on the stronger teams she'll be batted for by the DH.

Lester

Reaction score
who is happier????? I could say more but this should trump all. Then, play to the best level you can and play with a pressured team and how is her overall fit. Then, what goals do you have?

Brownsfan said it well, it's also age dependent.

eagleone

Reaction score
I tell parents to not let your kid be the best player on a team unless your are on the best team. I also tell them to not be on a team where they are at the bottom due to a lack of playing time. I think it is good to be in the middle so that they get pushed to get better and are surrounded by better talent. Hopefully it pushes them to work hard to get to the top. I also tell them to not be a team that has the coaches daughter playing the position your kids plays unless it is outfield.