Rank Em round two! Always Fun!

LineDrive1434

Reaction score
Now that the summer season is coming to an end and tryouts are right around the corner, I thought it would be fun and perhaps helpful to parents and players alike to see what the community thinks of the organizations in Ohio. Below is a post from 2005 on the same topic. My oh my how things change. I will attempt to list the perceived top organizations in 2021 and leave it up to the community to rank them. This should be based on the entire organization from coaches to recruiting to fees to tournaments to respect etc. Not hear to trash any team or group just rank em!

In no particular order:

Stingrays
Lasers
Outlaws
Hawks
USSSA Pride
Ice
Doom
Emeralds
Wolfpack, and Team Ohio? Small number of teams.
Others?

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that the summer season is coming to an end and tryouts are right around the corner, I thought it would be fun and perhaps helpful to parents and players alike to see what the community thinks of the organizations in Ohio. Below is a post from 2005 on the same topic. My oh my how things change. I will attempt to list the perceived top organizations in 2021 and leave it up to the community to rank them. This should be based on the entire organization from coaches to recruiting to fees to tournaments to respect etc. Not hear to trash any team or group just rank em!

In no particular order:

Stingrays
Lasers
Outlaws
Hawks
USSSA Pride
Ice
Doom
Emeralds
Wolfpack, and Team Ohio? Small number of teams.
Others?

I reposted this post because it got so off track last time. And I believe it was my fault that it happen.

LineDrive1434, I believe there’s a lot of value to this post to players and parents that read the forum.

so let rank em again and any reply’s that get off topic will be deleted.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I
IMO
1/2--Outlaws, Hawks
3. Everyone Else

** I do not include Bandits/Finesse as Ohio based orgs even DeMarini brand, more regional Ohio Valley

I agree most users of this forum are interested in Ohio region information.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I reposted this post because it got so off track last time. And I believe it was my fault that it happen.

LineDrive1434, I believe there’s a lot of value to this post to players and parents that read the forum.

so let rank em again and any reply’s that get off topic will be deleted.

Honestly it does not help parents to just have a organizational ranking without any specifics (like was posted on the 2005 thread).

If someone post an organization as one of the top 10 in the state of Ohio please add some detail on why?

EX:

For tournament teams

Years in existence
non profit or for profit organization
Number of certified coaches and experience (ex: High school, Collège, Pro, Slow pitch Beer league softball, played street baseball) Are tryouts well run/ organized and well attended
Practice / training Facilities winter/off season opportunities
Private instruction/player development is a priority
Number and type of teams EX: Developmental - Highly competitive - Competitive
Fees and value
Roster sizes of teams lean and mean 11 or less or 14 or more
Schedule / Travel
Previous nationals finished ASA/USA-PGF-USSSA other....
Sponsorships/partnerships
Other+ Tournaments/Clinics hosted, Communication

For college exposure teams in no specific order:
Invitational exposure events played Fall/Summer
X amount of College coach Connections. (This is a huge plus for the organizations that have it).
TD connections (While we may not have been the strongest team we did get into some of the stronger pools because of connections).
X% of players continuing on playing post secondary last year. I know many will say this benchmark not very good since a lot of the top ladies are already committed when they join some of the top programs at 16/18U but its still good to see.
X$ of organization scholarship dollars last year. Most likely a better benchmark for college exposure teams.
ACT prep help- yes/no
Profile and skills videos- yes/no

I am sure I missed some areas but hopefully it will get the discussion going in the right direction for parents.

Last edited:

LineDrive1434

Reaction score
Holy good God. WHY, why, why can't anyone just keep this simple. We have a myriad of parents and players who come to the Softball Zone to get educated and are not experts like CARDS above. So all that stuff you laid out is correct and I am sure other long time coaches and organization bosses can provide even more details about what to be concerned with, including all kinds of important minutia. That's great! I am sure folks will read all this stuff and learn from it but the same question/request still remains........

Give us your opinion AFTER all this data is considered. Please don't over think it. It's an opinion, simple. Give us your rankings CARDS and anyone else who can just address the original post. Even a super moderator believes it has merit and re-posted. There is a lot of knowledge on this board, experts, years of experience etc. etc. etc.

I am trying to help those who do not fall into the expert category. I asked what time it is and all we keep getting is how you would make the watch! Still don't know what time it is!

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Honestly it does not help parents to just have a organizational ranking without any specifics (like was posted on the 2005 thread).

If someone post an organization as one of the top 10 in the state of Ohio please add some detail on why?

EX:

For tournament teams

Years in existence
non profit or for profit organization
Number of certified coaches and experience (ex: High school, Collège, Pro, Slow pitch Beer league softball, played street baseball) Are tryouts well run/ organized and well attended
Practice / training Facilities winter/off season opportunities
Private instruction/player development is a priority
Number and type of teams EX: Developmental - Highly competitive - Competitive
Fees and value
Roster sizes of teams lean and mean 11 or less or 14 or more
Schedule / Travel
Previous nationals finished ASA/USA-PGF-USSSA other....
Sponsorships/partnerships
Other+ Tournaments/Clinics hosted, Communication

For college exposure teams in no specific order:
Invitational exposure events played Fall/Summer
X amount of College coach Connections. (This is a huge plus for the organizations that have it).
TD connections (While we may not have been the strongest team we did get into some of the stronger pools because of connections).
X% of players continuing on playing post secondary last year. I know many will say this benchmark not very good since a lot of the top ladies are already committed when they join some of the top programs at 16/18U but its still good to see.
X$ of organization scholarship dollars last year. Most likely a better benchmark for college exposure teams.
ACT prep help- yes/no
Profile and skills videos- yes/no

I am sure I missed some areas but hopefully it will get the discussion going in the right direction for parents.

I can tell you the length of existence & connections with TDs & College coaches is why I chose to coach for Cincy Doom.
Doom has been around 18 plus years.
We don't have a ton of teams at each group but we have quality teams and ALL of our Athletes go on and play somewhere at the next level while earning their degree.
501 c 3 Non profit Organization.
Org Leader owns an indoor facility.
Org holds mini clinics/ camps with several colleges.
Roster size 12-13 Athletes.

I can control my own teams schedule and go and play the showcases I choose for our team. Not forced to play out west or south. I would love to but makes no sense for athletes/parents to go out west and play if nobody on the team is considering college out west. I feel you can play in OH, MI, IN, PA, NY, KY and get great exposure. Again a lot of this comes back to Org connections and Athletes networking, getting their name out there and coach getting the team out there.

I wasn't forced to pick up athletes just because. I am able to pick our team roster whole heartedly. Parents are a huge part of a solid team and I am happy to say Our team has 12 sets of AMAZING parents this year! Occasionally you get a bad apple but shake the tree. they fall out quickly.

A lot of Great Organizations out there. I don't want to say something wrong and hurt anyone's feelings so I will just say They are out there and do your research. It has to be the right fit for your DD, you as parents, and the team. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

There's Levels to it.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I can tell you the length of existence & connections with TDs & College coaches is why I chose to coach for Cincy Doom.
Doom has been around 18 plus years.
We don't have a ton of teams at each group but we have quality teams and ALL of our Athletes go on and play somewhere at the next level while earning their degree.
501 c 3 Non profit Organization.
Org Leader owns an indoor facility.
Org holds mini clinics/ camps with several colleges.
Roster size 12-13 Athletes.

I can control my own teams schedule and go and play the showcases I choose for our team. Not forced to play out west or south. I would love to but makes no sense for athletes/parents to go out west and play if nobody on the team is considering college out west. I feel you can play in OH, MI, IN, PA, NY, KY and get great exposure. Again a lot of this comes back to Org connections and Athletes networking, getting their name out there and coach getting the team out there.

I wasn't forced to pick up athletes just because. I am able to pick our team roster whole heartedly. Parents are a huge part of a solid team and I am happy to say Our team has 12 sets of AMAZING parents this year! Occasionally you get a bad apple but shake the tree. they fall out quickly.

A lot of Great Organizations out there. I don't want to say something wrong and hurt anyone's feelings so I will just say They are out there and do your research. It has to be the right fit for your DD, you as parents, and the team. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

There's Levels to it.

Bingo...
This type of post helps parents much more than just a ranking...Players/families have a variety of needs or boxes they want checked especially new families. I will post my comments from the previous Thread on this subject. I had DOOM at 3/4 on that list mainly from the battles we had vs. Tim, Robs and Doug's teams back in the day. The DOOM organization is well respected around the softball community, high level invite events from all over the midwest and SE states.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Holy good God. WHY, why, why can't anyone just keep this simple. We have a myriad of parents and players who come to the Softball Zone to get educated and are not experts like CARDS above. So all that stuff you laid out is correct and I am sure other long time coaches and organization bosses can provide even more details about what to be concerned with, including all kinds of important minutia. That's great! I am sure folks will read all this stuff and learn from it but the same question/request still remains........

Give us your opinion AFTER all this data is considered. Please don't over think it. It's an opinion, simple. Give us your rankings CARDS and anyone else who can just address the original post. Even a super moderator believes it has merit and re-posted. There is a lot of knowledge on this board, experts, years of experience etc. etc. etc.

I am trying to help those who do not fall into the expert category. I asked what time it is and all we keep getting is how you would make the watch! Still don't know what time it is!

Here is my post from the original thread

If you are looking for the "total" Ohio softball organizational package/experience including practice facilities, accredited coaching, player development from 8 to 18, very nice total yearly organization scholarship dollars and college commitments, teams that play most tournaments within 4 hours of Ohio or, in state... I would go with REDS RBI as I stated in an earlier post because they offer teams in a variety of classifications.
The REDS "like many clubs" draw talent from about 1 hr. radius's of Cincinnati for the stronger A level teams the B level around the 275 loop.
Now I always suggest visiting any organization since it is the best way to see what each organization has to offer.
I know the REDS RBI may be a little unfair to compare many other organizations since RBI players are eligible for other scholarship dollars outside of what many players would get from a university that makes their annual scholarship dollars much higher than a typical travel club. The REDS/Players also have the benefit of corporate sponsors to help with travel expenses and for some of the C/B teams fee reductions. The REDS also utilize Olympic/College/Pro players doing some clinics like a couple other travel organizations do. Here is my list of just Ohio clubs...
# 1 Call me a Homer but I have REDS RBI at the top... (Not saying they have the strongest teams in Ohio or get a lot of D1 players . Heck their A teams would most likely lose to the other top 5 on my list but the organization will check "all" the boxes including very competitive play in MLB WS and ASA/USA for their A teams).
#2 Outlaws / Lasers Both Organizations have like 20+ teams around the state...Both organizations have lots of players moving on to the next level at DI/DII. Both Solid organizations well run with college connections playing in the best events available with their top teams. Some teams may have access to indoor training facilities and private instruction as part of fees like the REDS. Outlaws beat Lasers by a slim margin in my ranking because they have some ex Static coaches that is always a plus...
#3 Hawks / #3 1/2 Doom These two are also well known that play in some of the best invite invents available. Lots of ladies have went on to play at all levels of play from these organizations. Hawks and Doom did have training facilities as well last I heard.
IMO, The Hawks has an slight edge over Doom because of the number of teams one can tryout for with 3 or more at each age group and they some long time coaches that have coached at all levels of play...
#4 Stingrays IMO not as strong at the other 4 teams and may not be as strong as some not listed but, They have had their share of players go onto the next level and the organization runs one of the best tournaments in Ohio. They have at least one team in just about every age group. Not sure if the Organization has sponsors or training facilities. But looking at their website (it has not been updated in a while) it shows mostly an Ohio tournament schedule with one or two out of state events at the older ages 16-18.
#5 Classics while not a big organization compared to the others they have had some very competitive teams and also play in some top tier events to get players noticed. Not a lot of development opportunities but they do go out and attract the needed talent to be competitive.
#6 Wolfpack... while they have no teams at 8-10u they have 12u-18u representation for years. I always liked the Wolfpack hustle and they put on a good tournament.... Kool uniforms too...
#7 Ohio Thunder...While a newer organization they field teams in each age group. They draw players from about a 2 hr. radius of Mason Ohio so they must be doing something right...
#8-10 There are many one could put here...
Lots of quality local teams/small organizations that want the best for their players.. They may not always play top tier events or travel 4+ hours for tournaments but their families and players enjoy each others company, have fun and help their local HS programs while giving ladies the chance to continue playing after high school.
Many of these organizations develop the talent that end up on one of the teams in the top 6....
Cincy Magic...Del Hodge and the Magic have been around for a long time and has had many, many strong players go through the organization.
These organizations as well Heat, Storm, Xtream, Slammers, Lady Irish, Wizards, Road Runners also do a good job of player development.
OHIO is a large state and there are many great organizations that play a very high level of competition some with extensive travel not listed. The good thing is if a parent is just looking for local or less travel expenses etc. there are many teams available that can get that done in your area.

One caution I would say as we approach tryout season is, be a little weary of teams that tout "non parent coaches" as their organization accomplishments...
Not that they are bad many are good and have a track record with experience at the upper levels of play but a lot of these teams tend to not stay together long because they are mostly coached by newer younger ladies transitioning from college to coaching and they do tend to actually have more team finance issues, communication issues etc.

Last edited:

tjsmize3

Reaction score
Holy good God. WHY, why, why can't anyone just keep this simple.

Lol... I went out-of-town so stepped away from this post for a few days. Have you considered that as "the experts" you have mentioned stated several times... this is really too broad of a request. I really do believe we are fortunate in Ohio to have a large diversity of travel orgs that are great at meeting the needs of a diversity of players and their families. I had suggested we rank on ROI, but without an agreed upon ranking criteria, any list is going to be meaningless. How about this? There is going to be some overlap.

D1 recruiting nationally: Outlaws, Hawks, Bandits (only listed 3rd because ranking is supposed to be Ohio) -- honestly these are the ONLY OH teams IMO with multiple age groups that fall into this category.
D1 recruiting locally/D2/NAIA: Outlaws, Lasers, Hawks, Wolfpack, Stingrays, DOOM, Emeralds, Valley Extreme, Bandits (again -- OH based orgs listed 1st)
Mostly D3 bound w/ regional local schedule: Valley Extreme, Emeralds, Thunder, Ice... so many more!

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who has stepped away from any connection to OH softball whatsoever in the past year. Starting with the 2004 season I became involved in travel softball. My rankings are obviously coming from a recruiting perspective, but over the past 20 yrs, these seem to be the consistently best orgs in those categories with the best product to offer families. Also, this was done on my lunch break. I know I missed a lot of great ones out there.