Rec Ball -> Travel Ball

Gabby Channell

Reaction score
Hello!
Newbies here. My daughter has taken a strong interest in switching from Rec Ball to Travel Ball. We know it is a lot more of a commitment and dedication, we’re trying to find more info before she decides to try out!

A little about her: birth year 2010, playing 12U Rec Ball, she’s in her 6th season. She likes playing shortstop/2nd/outfield, and this year she was put in as pitcher for the first time with no training- now we’ve been self training at home and I’ve recently started her with a pitching coach as she loves it and wants to get better!

Questions-
What’s the best way to find a team/tryouts?
What is the hardest part of the transition?
She plays Volleyball in Fall, is it realistic to manage doing both?
What should we be looking for in a team?

*Any additional information you can provide that could help us get more familiar would be much appreciated!*

Last edited:

Cat-Man

Reaction score
Questions-
What’s the best way to find a team/tryouts?
You've came to the right place. Check the Tryouts section and Teams looking for players section on this board often. Most team tryouts for the next year will begin late July/early August.
What is the hardest part of the transition?
On the field it's the skill level of the players, mainly pitchers. Pitchers will be A LOT faster and better than what you've seen in rec ball.
Off the field, you've already hit on it. More dedication and commitment. If your daughter wants to excel, she will need to be dedicated to getting better by putting the work in away from team practices/games. Either on her own or with specialized instructors. For commitment, she should expect to attend all practices and games. That could put a damper on some of her social life. No more missing practice or a game to attend little Suzie's birthday party like you could in Rec ball. Also, in most cases (not all) it is a HUGE financial commitment for your family. You could also see a huge shift in your future Holiday weekend family plans and vacation plans. Most of the time either or both revolve around softball tournaments.
She plays Volleyball in Fall, is it realistic to manage doing both?
Absolutely. If a team tells you that your daughter cannot play fall sports, RUN don't WALK away from them. It is possible to do both and there are good organizations who are flexible and work with your daughter on being able to play other sports.
What should we be looking for in a team?
This all depends on your level you want to play. There are high level teams/organizations with highly skilled players who require more commitment, fees and travel. There are also teams/organizations who play mostly local tournaments and may not require you to drain your bank account to play for them. There are a lot of variables involved. It just depends on what you are looking for.

One side note, you may see some people chime in to tell you to stay away from parent coached teams. I'm not saying they are wrong, but IMO there are plenty of teams/org's with Dad's who coach who are good and fair coaches and run successful teams without favoritism.

That's just my .02 cents from someone who made the jump around the same time you did (12U). I'm sure others can give you more good advice

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Questions-
What’s the best way to find a team/tryouts? I would keep an eye on this site for tryouts. normally tryout season is in August.
What is the hardest part of the transition? Adjusting to the commitment. Its Softball first then all other stuff.
She plays Volleyball in Fall, is it realistic to manage doing both? Possibly. Depends on level of the team she makes.
What should we be looking for in a team? Depends. You have some trophy chasing coaches out there. I would stay away. Get with a good developmental coach. Someone that will help her and grow her as an athlete.

I would recommend going out to some tournaments and watching teams. Start Talking to as many coaches in the travel world and possibly go to some practices. Most travel coaches and teams would welcome her to practice with them.

ChrisDennis13

Reaction score
IF you have Audible, download Playing to Win, by Michael Lewis. Yes the same Michael Lewis who wrote Money Ball and The Big Short. It is a relatively short listen, like 2.5 hours. He himself was a parent/coach/organizer in the softball world with two daughters who played; one daughter who went to college and played highly competitive travel ball.

If once you are done listening, you think OMG no way, maybe travel is not for you. If once you are done you say, okay, maybe we will do X, then you have a plan and a behind the scenes candid take on the travel side of softball from a parents point of view.

Great book, too bad it is an Audible exclusive. I recommended friends and parents listen, most have thanked me and said "man, this was eye opening." Those friends still have their girls in travel ball, so it did not detour them, just enlightened them.