Rec games

Little Monsters

Reaction score
Question how do the coaches typically handle if a girl on your travel team misses practice to play in a rec game? This is during season.

jayflyer98

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the rules a coach sets or the expectations set in the beginning. If it is a travel team and several of the girls are also playing for their local rec league, I would say missing practice because of a game is fine. This will tend to happen at younger ages 10-12U. It can be good for development of a pitcher who may not be getting mound time on their travel team.

daboss

Reaction score
I won't argue it can be frustrating but jayflyer98 covered my thoughts well. I want to add one little tidbit. Rec teams are normally comprised of local girls, mostly if not all from their home town and school. Friends she is growing up with. The game is supposed to be fun. The game is for the girls.

While many will say it is unfair to her travel teammates to miss, ask yourself is this really about them or about you and your desire to win. Here's a purposeful opportunity to play your bench girl/girls more. Who knows, maybe that potential will come thru and she will earn your heart for more playing time. You did take her money same as the others. Have some faith. She must be capable or you shouldn't have taken their money.

Regardless, the family is making a choice for a reason. If you never want this to be an issue you should make it a part of your screening process when signing players and taking their money. If this is coming up now in the negotiation process of signing a girl, just be honest with them and yourself. Don't tell them you'll work around it then try to make it an issue when the time arrives. Nobody should have to go thru that drama when the issue should have been settled. Ignoring it won't make it go away.

Remember; this game is for the girls.............

Little Monsters

Reaction score
I’m just having a hard time understanding how it is possible to coach up your girls and build strong fundamentals if you don’t practice as a team? To me showing up game day only makes you a sub and not fair to play them over the girls that are at practice. It’s not about winning but I feel when you take their money and sign them up then it becomes your job to coach them to their potential, how is this possible without practice time?

daboss

Reaction score
I’m just having a hard time understanding how it is possible to coach up your girls and build strong fundamentals if you don’t practice as a team? To me showing up game day only makes you a sub and not fair to play them over the girls that are at practice. It’s not about winning but I feel when you take their money and sign them up then it becomes your job to coach them to their potential, how is this possible without practice time?

Little Monsters, the extra info exposes the reason for you concerns and it is an issue that has existed for a long time. I can only share my feelings on the subject and it goes back to my first post in this thread. Make it a part of the screening process. Don't sign her or take the family's money if you are aware of the problems it will create.

You want more commitment. I get it. The appearance is money is not an issue since your post insinuates they are willing to show up to play, that they simply don't want to be around till game day. Perhaps transportation to/from a grueling team schedule is simply impossible for the family. Perhaps she is unable to commit for an unknown reason. You can't assume you know all the reasons why they are choosing to only participate on game day. You have to base your decisions on what you know.

In life we can't tell parents how to raise their kids. You can't force them to believe that playing and practicing with you is better than their experience with their Rec program. Everyone is forced to make decisions in life. You know this problem being discussed will create an issue. I suggest you wish them luck, tell them you understand, and let them walk. Leave things on good terms and possibly they will have a change of heart later when you have an opening. It's a better alternative than making them and others enemies that may create hard feelings for a life time.

Select your roster from the group of girls that want to play on your team. Depending on how well you do as a coach, others will decide if they want to participate. When/if parents realize your program is more beneficial than what is offered in their community they will respond to invitations or ask what they can do to be a part of it. Travel ball is a life style of sorts. It's a huge commitment both financially and family time. It's not for everyone.

Always know every roster, regardless of the level of competition, has a shining star in comparison to the other players on the team. There also exists a less-talented young lady that others will want to replace in hopes it will improve the team performance. How you handle it will determine how others view you. Make your choices wisely