Recording a game

snoman76

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but can you hook a GoPro up to the backstop and record your games? I was asked 20 questions once why I had my Ipad on the field during the game and once I showed them I was keeping score they were ok with it... So I was wondering if there was a rule about video taping games..

frenchy101010

Reaction score
Yes you can, I have recorded over 100 games with my GoPro. I hook it up with a LynkSpyder fence mount before every game. Never had a problem.

Westler33

Reaction score
Same setup I use and it is The best thing since sliced bread lol. I have seen more and more on the backstops this year than ever I have even had both teams have one on there in a few of our games.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Most sanctioning bodies prohibit recording from live ball area and ban all electronic devices on the field other than scorekeeping materials. There shouldn't be any problem with a small, discreet camera on the fence if it's not being used for coaching purposes.

snoman76

Reaction score
Thank you.. A simple thank you is what I was going for but I needed more words so now I am typing all this.

freddieball

Reaction score
Do some research before buying a GoPro brand camera. You do not need to spend $400 for a camera and $50 for a mount to get a decent result. I have less than $100 in mine. It is 1080p with wifi like the GoPro so you can use a APP to control it. I paid $64 for the camera on Amazon, $8 for the mount on ebay called Joby Gorillapod and $18 for 2 extra batteries. The cam I got is waterproof and looks identical to a GoPro but is SJCAM SJ4000. I record 1080p and 1 battery last about 2hrs. Just a thought to save you a few bucks. If your rich then go for the GoPro :)

Fastball19

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
We use a Lynkspyder as mentioned above with a GoPro Hero 3+ silver and a Hero 4. Each of them use a different battery eliminator. The lynkspyder website does not have the newer battery eliminator listed but you can easily find it on Amazon. Depending on the location of the game, we will use a tripod at firestone main field and run a second gopro from the tv stands. Most other fields just the lynkspyder set on medium FOV. The external battery pack is great. Use it to run the gopro and charge my phone at the field :D I have talked to quite a few umpires about it and they never seem to mind that I am mounting it to the backstop. The one umpire wanted to know the channel so he can go back and review his calls. Also, a few have said that in their umpire training class they mentioned that cameras are going to be everywhere and to be careful of what you say.

Here is an example of one of our 2 camera shoots. Have been spicing the video up lately with adding a score board overlay but it takes too much time to do every game like that. One day, maybe i'll do some play by play and hope not to sound foolish! hahah If you click on the channel name, you will see all of our other videos from various locations where the lynkspyder was used.
[video=youtube;AzMG1l64TLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMG1l64TLM[/video]

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
I believe OHSAA rules prohibit the taping of games. I hope somebody writes to say they changed that rule but if not another rule that shouldn't be. This would have no effect on summer ball.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
I believe OHSAA rules prohibit the taping of games. I hope somebody writes to say they changed that rule but if not another rule that shouldn't be. This would have no effect on summer ball.

Nope. OHSAA allows it. It's along the lines of what Bretman was saying - you can't record while on the field, and you can't use the devices in the dugout. (basically, record from afar AND view after the game.)

us3odums

Reaction score
Our cameras are used to watch games after played, our daughter wants to catch her errors (if any) and hits she loves watching them. No way are they used to steal signs or anything like that......a true ball player is watching her team and herself to see what she/they can improve on in the next game!

Long Baller

Reaction score
I've wondered about the privacy aspect of this. There are coaches that record their games then post them on youtube. I'm sure that there are parents who aren't too keen on the idea of their children being put on the internet for the whole world to see.

Westler33

Reaction score
Not sure with the gopro how well you can make out who is who unless you know the team that you are watching.

RRB2

Reaction score
If you want to follow the action closer try I-kam glasses. You can buy them at cabela's. I have the first ones that came out so the video isn't great but they have come out with an HD version. Apparently I have broken some rules though since I have worn them while coaching first. Although there isn't a screen so I can't play it back until I put the sd card in my laptop. Two things: 1. I'm not affiliate with I-kam. 2. the first time you wear them you won't believe how much you move your head around. It takes some practice to get good shots. I do have some video on youtube if anyone would like to see the quality just let me know and I'll send you a link.

snoman76

Reaction score
If you want to follow the action closer try I-kam glasses. You can buy them at cabela's. I have the first ones that came out so the video isn't great but they have come out with an HD version. Apparently I have broken some rules though since I have worn them while coaching first. Although there isn't a screen so I can't play it back until I put the sd card in my laptop. Two things: 1. I'm not affiliate with I-kam. 2. the first time you wear them you won't believe how much you move your head around. It takes some practice to get good shots. I do have some video on youtube if anyone would like to see the quality just let me know and I'll send you a link.

Now thats slick... I may have to get a pair of those

LynkSpyder

Reaction score
We use a Lynkspyder as mentioned above with a GoPro Hero 3+ silver and a Hero 4. Each of them use a different battery eliminator. The lynkspyder website does not have the newer battery eliminator listed but you can easily find it on Amazon. Depending on the location of the game, we will use a tripod at firestone main field and run a second gopro from the tv stands. Most other fields just the lynkspyder set on medium FOV. The external battery pack is great. Use it to run the gopro and charge my phone at the field :D I have talked to quite a few umpires about it and they never seem to mind that I am mounting it to the backstop. The one umpire wanted to know the channel so he can go back and review his calls. Also, a few have said that in their umpire training class they mentioned that cameras are going to be everywhere and to be careful of what you say.

Here is an example of one of our 2 camera shoots. Have been spicing the video up lately with adding a score board overlay but it takes too much time to do every game like that. One day, maybe i'll do some play by play and hope not to sound foolish! hahah If you click on the channel name, you will see all of our other videos from various locations where the lynkspyder was used.
[video=youtube;AzMG1l64TLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMG1l64TLM[/video]

Great video work. Love the score overlay.

We now have equipment pages for each model of GoPro, but had not updated our generic page to reflect the newer cable. We have now fixed this. Thanks for making me aware of this issue.
http://www.lynkspyder.com/equipment.html

Josh Greer
LynkSpyder
www.lynkspyder.com

LynkSpyder

Reaction score

That is really cool. And yes on the head movements. We used to put the GoPros on our catchers. But watching a full game from a POV perspective will make you sick. But if you had a couple people have these along with a backstop camera, it would really lead to some really good video production.

Josh Greer
LynkSpyder
www.lynkspyder.com

Butter

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a gopro for the the upcoming year. Wondering if we could get some advise on the best place to purchase. We are want the ability to record each game so like some suggestions on exactly what we will need to purchase along with the camera (batteries, memory cards, etc.).

Fastball19

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have only seen Gopros on sale 1 time and that was on Black Friday at Bestbuy. When it was, I snagged the Hero 3+ silver for $250 and it came with some extras that I really do not use. On any given weekend, I use 2 64gb memory cards and use about 60% of them so long as we are playing deep in to Sunday. When we do the 2 camera shoots, the other camera is a Hero 4. For some reason, that one will record larger files than the Hero 3 with both cameras set at the same 1080p 30fps setting so if you get the Hero 4, you may use all if not more than 128gb of video! The battery that comes in the Gopro will last 1 game if you are lucky so the use of an external power source that plugs into the camera is the best option. I have lived through swapping out batteries and charging 5 different batteries and that sucked.

If you take a look at http://www.lynkspyder.com/equipment.html it lists everything you really need to get going!

Last edited:

eagleone

Reaction score

I think the OHSAA rule is you can record your own game but not games between two other teams that could be used for scouting purposes