Recruiting Advice

Strohbro

Reaction score
Got this off of the Midwest Fastpitch site:

This is from Bill Conroy to the players in his organization......

I know I’ve preached to the point of ad nauseam about recruiting but I believe it’s a subject too important to brush over lightly. The entire recruiting process has changed over the years and although I might disagree with many of the changes, I realize my opinion has little to no effect on the ever-changing process. With that being said, the first rule of recruiting hasn’t changed, #1 priority is academics but what has changed due to earlier and earlier verbals, is when players/students need to start to take ACT/SAT tests. Please take these tests as early and often as possible. I would suggest taking it your Freshman year and continue to take until you reach your goals, use tutors and/or online prep programs to help achieve your maximum score. Be the best person/student/player in that order and I assure you, good things will await you.

Next, make sure you're choosing the school that best fits your athletic and more importantly, your academic needs. We have a tendency to get wrapped up in the commotion that college football and ESPN has done a terrific job of marketing but don’t let 6 homes football games, half of which you’ll be playing softball games and unable to attend, be the deciding factor with regards to the school that you choose to attend that will help shape your future employment. When deciding on a school, it’s nearly impossible not to consider the relationship with the current coaching staff but I’ll reiterate, DON’T make this your top priority because coaching staffs change for a multitude of reasons. Lastly, look at the recent track record of the coach/school with regards to honoring their early verbal commits. If a school has a continuous track record of verballing more players than they have graduating, then I would suggest being very cautious with regards to committing yourself to a school that might not be as vested in you as you’re to them. Unfortunately, the recruiting process is becoming more like football and basketball, where both sides are continuously evaluating their best options. Personally, I feel that unless there are extenuating circumstances, a player/family/ college coach should honor their word but what I feel won’t change the new recruiting dynamics. With that being said, here is my guideline with regards to the recruiting process

#1 choose a school that will allow you to pursue the major of your choice.
#2 choose a school based on personal preferences, such as close to home/far from home/small school/big school/small classrooms/large classrooms/ ETC.
#3 choose a school where you can make an impact on the field.
#4 choose a school based on the total financial package/athletic as well academic and financial aid.
#5 choose a school based on the culture and tradition of the softball program and the university itself.
#6 choose a school based on the relationship with the current coaching staff

As I’ve said before, winning is more fun than losing but only one team wins their last game each year. You need to look at a multitude of factors when making your decision and the process isn’t easy because the grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence but make sure that grass will be there when you’ll be living there and make sure that plot of land has some value once it’s time to cash in. Well, enough metaphors for today’s sermon.