Recruitment Video

Jack Jenkins

Reaction score
Do: Make one! It is the best way for a coach to see your DD's skills. Don't: put music or too much talking, state the facts: name, school team, travel team, position(s). I tell my girls often a college coach can look at you in warm-ups and taking a few swings and determine if your skill level is worth investing more time into following you. So Do: make it fairly short, they get many of them. A video is a quick way to get many eyes on her to see what her skill level is.

daboss

Reaction score
You are making a recruitment video, not a short movie or music video. Keep it clean, short, simple, and feature only your daughter doing what she does best. Take the advice of Jack Jenkins. If you need one to keep for yourself to watch years from now why make it award-winning but keep the recruitment video all business. 5 minutes maximum of edited footage of the basics. Don't get carried away and make it redundant.

coop24

Reaction score
My dd is a D1 college player that put music in her recruitment video and was complimented by her music choices. One coach said it was nice having music, instead of listening to the wind blowing in the microphone like other videos. So, that is why I am asking. It was short and sweet and straight to the business at hand, but with music.

Also, try not to edit the video clips, they want to see consecutive swings or fielding attempts, not just a highlight reel.

Last edited:

Jack Jenkins

Reaction score
I am not anti-music just making the point to stick with the theme...your skills. If you have the skills that Coops daughter has you can add graphics, bad music, graph charts and a recipe for fruitcake and it will be liked by college coaches. So the lesson here is have good skills to show!

Run26

Reaction score
My dd is a D1 college player that put music in her recruitment video and was complimented by her music choices. One coach said it was nice having music, instead of listening to the wind blowing in the microphone like other videos. So, that is why I am asking. It was short and sweet and straight to the business at hand, but with music.

Also, try not to edit the video clips, they want to see consecutive swings or fielding attempts, not just a highlight reel.

Can I be in the video showing off my Texas Hold'em skills?

Reaction score
I made recruiting videos for some high school athletes a few years back. After talking to college coaches, do not waste time with music. Yes that may look and sound cool for your viewing pleasure but the coach doesn't care about the music at all. Some of the coaches even watched them with the volume down do it didn't matter either way. As stated above, keep it short, simple and to the point. Make sure you include your name, contact info and positions you can play. Believe it or not, people do forget these. Good luck.

coop24

Reaction score
I am not anti-music just making the point to stick with the theme...your skills. If you have the skills that Coops daughter has you can add graphics, bad music, graph charts and a recipe for fruitcake and it will be liked by college coaches. So the lesson here is have good skills to show!

ty, for the kinds words......

just didn't know if things changed since we made our video. I agree, show your skills and it will sell itself

Converse Kid

Reaction score
Should the video mainly consist of player practicing, running through various drills? Should it consist of game footage only, or a combination of both? I would think it would be very easy to Edit a highlight reel of any kid if you had enough footage. Should I pick 5 main qualities and run through them quickly, unedited for say maybe 5 minutes straight?