Refund never came

Taurus

Reaction score
My daughter played for at travel team in Akron through the spano we were with the team for a short time do to the head coach being fired. We had a deadline to op out . So we decided for best interests of our daughter to be removed from the politics .they told us we would be refunded our money, we were never under contract. We've been getting the run around sense before Christmas, they told us there was no money to repay us and other parent. We found out they have been signing up for more tournaments in the last couple of weeks and had money to pay for them. There spending money that doesn't even belong to them.next post I will expose the organization to the public unless my fees are returned in 2 days. There's plenty of emails to back this and will post them also.so parents beware of teams taking advantage of people .

Dynamites16u

Reaction score
We had to same situation with the organization we just left. The coaches collected fees and the were spent by the organization before we started winter ball.

snoman76

Reaction score
We had to same situation with the organization we just left. The coaches collected fees and the were spent by the organization before we started winter ball.

This is not uncommon. When teams want to play in the top tournaments they require payment well in advance of the tournament weekend.. ie Lasers..Stingrays..Metro. I know with my team, as soon as fees come in they go out just as fast. We need to make sure we are locked in the tournaments that we want to play in.

crystlemc

Reaction score
I think there are different situations here. If the team disbanded, there should be issued a refund of fees minus expenses (uniforms, tournaments played, sanctioning fees, insurance, to name a few). Yes, some tournaments have to be payed for months in advance. But once a team disbands, those tournaments refund the team's money and it should be distributed to the players left at the time of disbanding.

If you quit a team for anything other than severe abuse or inappropriate behavior (use common sense here, not the easy "butthurt" feelings), then you get nothing back. That's just my opinion. Teams change. Personnel changes. That's part of the risk you take when joining any team. Those are not excuses for quitting and expecting a refund.

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Not uncommon for teams to offer no refund if a player quits, but if the actually said that you could opt out and get refund then they should pay it.

Taurus

Reaction score
2 days is long up, who is it? :) Or has it been settled?
Sorry for delay I'm unable to respond to matter at this time per my attorney . I'll keep you updated when I'm released to do so

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2913.02

Hiring an attorney for a few hundred bucks?
You could have small claims or just contact Dewey, Cheatem and Howe to draft a letter on your behalf to try to get them to do the right thing for about $100.
Remember, that the burden of proof lies with the plaintiff. You need to prove that there was a contract between the team and you, and that they breached the contract and you already stated there was no written or implied contract .
If by chance you win, will you collect? That is another question. Winning a judgment is the easy part, collecting on the judgment is the real battle.

If as you stated, there are others and it gets the theft over 1K, then you have other options. You could also check to see if the team has a 501c3 and you may have some other things that you could do that may not get your money back but give the holder a ton of grief...

Bottom line is, do your homework prior to giving anyone any monies. Most teams do have player commitment contract that covers fees, practice and playing expectations and a team code of conduct. Read it over and ask questions prior to handing over any fees. Sites like this are also a great resource to alert others of good and bad experiences with teams.

Last edited: