Returning Player=Automatic Spot on Team?

InSider

Reaction score
A player who has played for Organization X for 2 years, participated in fundraisers and anything else the organization has requested. Her family has gone out of their way to help out whenever necessary. This girl is moving up to 14u, while her team is staying down at 12u. Her little sister is on the 11u team in the same organization. Tryout time comes along, 14u girl participates in the organization tryout as usual. It is assumed that she will automatically be on the 14u team, based on her history with the organization. 14u girl is not offered a spot on the team. She and her parents are very upset, as they assumed that loyalty was on their side.

What is your opinion? Is this girl and her family justified in their feelings?

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
These are always tough situations to deal with. One word that stuck was "assumed," if organization says right from start that every year is new tryouts for ALL spots, then not a lot can be said. Still very hard for everyone involved.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Most teams and organizations have a year to year commitment to players, coaches and teams.
There are always hurt feelings when players, coaches or teams are not brought back and over the years I have seen your scenario play out as well, coaches or teams having to find new homes. In all of the cases it worked out.

I am sure the parents are likely upset about now having DDs in two separate organizations and in most cases going in different directions.

It is better they know now and early so, they can find a home for one or both as opposed to the 14U team offering her a number 11 or higher spot "for loyalty" on the team and then find out she may not get playing time or not play in the position he has become accustomed too EX: say this player is a catcher and the 14U team has two stud catchers already, her secondary position is SS and they are three deep with middle infielders coach says he is holding spots for these returning players so she will be a pinch runner utility player with some spot play mainly in the OF. I am sure the parents would not like that even more than having to find a new home.

Last edited:

backstop09

Reaction score
What is your opinion? Is this girl and her family justified in their feelings?

No. Put yourself in the shoes of the players and parents being brought on board for next year. Do you want to join the best team possible or join a team that rewards longevity over talent and ability?

Last edited:

CoachB25

Reaction score
Why would parents want their child on a team/program where her hard work did not earn her spot on a team? Do they want a situation where she is the worst player on the team? Would they want a summer where her coaches didn't really want her on the team but kept her because she was some type of legacy? Did the player think that she had it made and so, didn't work as hard during the end of the year or during tryouts? Believe me, there is a better fit for this young lady out there where she will get to play and be wanted/needed on the team.

CoachTEA

Reaction score
Select is a year to year proposition. Sorry if I sound callous, but who is to say if the players skills and contributions align with the overall goals and objectives of the team? What if the player is not growing, developing, working as hard as her teammates? I am not a fan of an entitlement approach to anything in life. What if the player has peaked at 12u? Keep the kid because of her history with the organization? No thanks!

FastBat

Reaction score
IMHO, no player should get on a team based on what her parents have contributed.

flygirlsdad

Reaction score
Was it a second year 14u. They might not have been looking to add to many. She may not have been the right fit going from a first year 12u to a 2nd year 14u. While I am all for loyalty, I think one of the biggest problems with many teams is too much loyalty. At least if you want to play at the highest level. Even teams at the highest level could probably be even better if roster spots weren't based on prior relationships.

WalkOffHR

Reaction score
No she shouldn't make the team based on loyalty or any other factor other than skill. This could be a make it or break it point for her. Maybe it will light a fire under her and cause her to work harder than ever before. Besides players tend to change teams every couple of years anyway. It's good to have a fresh set of eyes and new coaches to challenge her and help her. In 10 years of travel ball DD played for 5 different organizations. Each one helped her tremendously even though leaving her old team was tough. She learned a little something new and also brought what she had learned from previous organizations with her. If you take the right approach this can be a positive.

In the end, she needs to be where she is wanted and the coaches have faith she can help the team win. Never ever forget, sometimes coaches are wrong. Sometimes they don't see the potential. Sometimes they get locked into particular skill-set, like slapping or stealing and lose sight of quality at bats, on base percentage, defense and just plain old being a gritty player.

MD 20/20

Reaction score
The "contract" or commitment that the org. extends to you and vice-versa is a 1 year deal (unless noted otherwise). Should the Org. feel the same obligation by each of it's players and their families. I always thought this was the toughest part of travel ball. No one is making a living at coaching travel ball and you do create personal relationships. When a team, or coach decides to "move-on" from a player it causes hurt feelings. I had a player for several years and I loved her and her family. Her mother was an asst coach on my staff. I felt as though we were heading in different directions, and I was not seeing her at try-outs. I moved on, filled my team and then she comes to a try-out. Mother and Father were pissed, and I understood why, but they still will not speak to me to this day. It is what it is. Would you rather play for a coach who is focused on your daughter, or one who is focused on the TEAM???? I know my answer

coachjwb

Reaction score
I think it's important to have teams consist of players who have similar skill levels and similar goals. We tend to think about the "A" level teams who are among the best in the state and whose players all have the goal to one day play in college. In order for those teams to have the success they need to have so that they can get into the top tourneys and go deep into them, they can't really have players who can't contribute either because they don't work as hard as the others or who just don't have the athletic abilities of the rest of the team. On these kinds of teams, it's important that the coach is communicating this expectation and that players and their parents understand that it's only a year to year thing.

With that being said, there are teams out there in either rec ball or in more B or C level travel ball who may be playing for fun or even just to improve their skills for high school ball. On those teams, it could well be an expectation that returning players are always welcome back, unless it's clearly communicated otherwise by the coach.

bucketime

Reaction score
I hate to sound rude also; shouldn't be based on history of what you gave as far as fundraisers etc. Based on talent; and obviously she must not of had what it took to be on the team. There is no what ifs; its talent for the team.

spartansd

Reaction score
I have said this many many times. And I have been very guilty of this in the past.

But be very careful what you allow parents to do on teams. Especially when it comes to "helping out".

Parents 99.99% of the time are there because their kids like it or they like it. But they are helping out usually with an expectation that they are achieving status on the team or in the club. They rarely are helping out without some expectation of reciprocation or favored status. There are some that are truly just doing what is right and can remove themselves from the parent mode. But this is few and far between. I wish I was wrong. But 15+ years of this stuff has shown me that this is just a reality. It does not make me upset as this is human nature. So that is why we are very careful what we say or do when it comes to parent help. It is much tougher at the lower age groups where you need as much help as possible to run good practices.

My wife and I both refuse to let parents do much anymore to avoid any hurt feelings at a later date. And we have told parents the reason without any issue. But once you let someone do stuff then try to have them back off it creates a mess and hurt feelings.

My wife coached HS this past year and honestly that is a piece of cake compared to travel.

crystlemc

Reaction score
This happened with a team my DD was on a few years ago. The mom was VERY salty that her daughter was not offered a spot on the team and made sure to tell everyone who would listen. In hindsight, I sure am glad they didn't become part of the team. I can only imagine what mom would have been like the rest of the year.

wow

Reaction score
There are a lot of hurt feelings this time of the year. The back door dealings started early, as usual. Just remember, there are some teams where coaches don't have the teams interest first. Having been on both sides I can tell you its more about relationships and resume the you get older. Everyone kinda knows everyone the older you get. There are lot of personalities, which play into the decision process. Its rarely about talent alone, rather the total package. Things like attitude, parents temperament, batting/pitching/catching coaches, and fit are almost, I said ALMOST, as important as talent.

CoachB25

Reaction score
What if the parent is one of the coaches?

Isn't this why some people volunteer to coach? They place themselves in the role of being one of those that determines who makes the team the next year. More that a few players have made teams this way.

FastBat

Reaction score
What if the parent is one of the coaches?
IMHO, I still think the parent coach should either coach that specific team with no strings attached regarding their dd or go with a better fitting team for their dd. The coach's kid knows she is not as good (talent wise) as the better kids. I think it's hard to be that kid.

Last edited: