Pitching and Pitchers Discussion RevFire Radar Reliability

Indiansummer11

Reaction score
I?ve been seeing some very crazy numbers from 10u pitchers that have been clocked with a RevFire Radar that also gives spin rate. I?m talking 56mph +. Are these things accurate? How do they differ from a Pocket Radar, Bushnell, Juggs, etc.

allcorners

Reaction score
It has been my experience that the RevFire is 2-4mph off from a juggs gun. Making the pitcher 2-4mph faster on the RevFire.

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
Most any radar is compromised if not being used properly. Line of travel, preferably behind the catcher with a clear view of the ball coming at the gun seemed to be the most functional for me. I would see a speed difference as I moved around. Even a few feet from straight on seemed to challenge an accurate reading. My fail safe has always been a stopwatch. With practice I could be within + or - 2 mph of any gun. It is what it is. Don't expect it to be the soul determining factor to judge pitchers. At 10u, take a kid throwing 70% strikes to balls into any game and you'll stand a chance to win.

cjs

Reaction score
I believe the rev fire calculates speed base on the amount of time the ball take to start spinning and stop spinning, meaning that if the distance is not correct the speed will not be correct and factors such longer pitchers stride and a catcher who reaches out to catch the pitch will change the speed of the pitch without actually throwing the ball faster, we use a rev fire but only care about spin, cause fast and straight just make the homerun longer and much more impressive for the batter :cool:

lewam3

Reaction score
Wouldn't put any faith in Revfire for speed. For Spin, its a great tool.

MILEYSDAD

Reaction score
With the Revfire, catcher needs to be 3 feet behind the point of home plate, it measures time and figures mph from that. Your pitcher's mph will go up 1-2mph for every foot or so the catcher moves up.