Rule should be eliminated or made more clear

So, district final game: lead off batter in the first inning hits one over the fence (and the score board) gets called out because one of her players touched her before she touched home (a high five)! Fortunately the team had the mental toughness to overcome that and win the game, but over the fence is over the fence! The rule as I understand it is "assist" the player, not congradulate her for hitting a homerun. Please!

Scary to think that that would be called by a team of 2-3 umpires in a district final game. Can I assume the coach went out and talked to the umpires about this??

Wow. I'm kind of shocked that a play-off level umpire would call this, too. The rules don't prescribe an out here at ANY level of baseball or softball.

That a runner is out just for being touched by a player or coach is an age-old RULE MYTH. Yet it is a myth that just won't die. I can understand parents and casual fans, and maybe even coaches and players, not understanding this. But I absolutely cringe when I hear about an umpire enforcing this imaginary rule!

Besides this forum, I post on several other baseball, softball and umpiring discussion boards. Just in the last couple of weeks alone, I have seen this same issue raised in no fewer than a half-dozen different threads, from all over the country. And the season is still young! I expect it will rear its ugly head many more times before the season is over.

Thankfully, this bogus call didn't affect the outcome of the game. Still, I would really hope that the school's A.D. or coach would follow-up with whoever assigns umpires for their games. Any umpire that makes this call is in need of some serious re-education!

Coach should have "protested" and put the game under protest.. just in case he lost.

Stupid umpire - stupid coach .

Then, school's AD should have the board change that...

How can you NOT be allowed to protest a rule.

OHSAA is full of it and needs to get out of their 1950's mindset.

and besides our Coach (SHE) did the best thing for our girls, move on to the rest of the game and not make too big a deal out of it. Made her argument then got the girls pumped up and ready to keep playing

Sorry, but there are no protests allowed in OHSAA.

True, which I personally thinks stinks, especially at the playoff level.

During the regular season, I can kind of see the reasoning for not allowing protests. The level of officiating can be a lot more varied during the regular season and you have to deal with less-experienced umpires. There are many, many more games being played, which makes the protest review process more difficult and creates a re-scheduling nightmare if the protest is upheld.

But at the playoff level, you should have umpires that understand a simple, basic rule like this. There is more on the line for the teams involved and the games have an added importance. It's more of a shame if an umpire misinterprets a rule that causes a team to be eliminated from the playoffs.

Anybody can make a mistake- it happens. I'd like to think that umpires at the playoff level wouldn't make a dumb mistake like this. And I really hate to think that a team could get shafted by such a stupid call, ending their entire season of hard work, and have no recourse under OHSAA rules to correct this easily correctable umpiring mistake.

Somebody should send Roxanne Price a letter with this link.. then maybe she can get it straightened out with the assigners before the next rounds of games.

OK, I'll volunteer to do it.... :D

So as the coach of team that had homerun taken away, can they ask or demand the umpires to show the coach the rule in question? There has to be a way for a coach to be able to prove the umpires are wrong in their ruling. Glad they were able to win!

Letter sent to all the board members of OHSAA giving them this link and the other one as well.

(I'm not the most savvy computer person...LOL)

--- On Sat, 5/22/10, William Cleaver <ohioquakerman@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > From: William Cleaver <ohioquakerman@yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Home Run Celebrating Rule
> > To: "???????" <hrussmyers@cebridge.net>,
> albertsteresa@garaway.k12.oh.us,
> bellk@wssoh.org,>
> bgoldring@ohsaa.org,
> "Commissioner" <dross@ohsaa.org>,
> dmoore@ohsaa.org,
> farbizot@npschools.org,
> hzaborniak@ohsaa.org,
> jay_wolfe@olentangy.k12.oh.us,
> jay-wolfe@olentangy.k12.oh.us,
> jeff.jordan@ode.state.oh.us,
> jsnodgrass@ohsaa.org,
> lowe_rn@access-k12.org,
> "Public" <tstried@ohsaa.org>,
> richardsm@ae.noacsc.org,
> rock@cardnet.stark.k12.oh.us,
> "Rules" <rprice@ohsaa.org>,
> sneil@ohsaa.org,
> sstirn@loganhocking.k12.oh.us,
> william.koppel@neomin.org
> > Date: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 8:58 PM
> > To the Board and OHSAA Members:
> >
> > When is this board going to give these
> > coaches and schools the right to protest umpire
> > misinterpations when it comes down to RULES ?
> >
> > This is a sad state when it comes to
> > girls softball. You regulate and over regulate the
> > girls.. and for what? To give them a disadvantage
> > compared to other states and their State HS
> > Associations?
> >
> > But, to not give a coach that right to protest
> > terrible calls of rules.. is just mind blowing to me
> and the
> > only thing I can think of.... is it is so sad.
> >
> > Is please call the umpire assigners on Monday before
> some
> > umpire screws up a teams season by making such a
> silly
> > call.
> >
> > Here is what I am talking about. Follow these
> links:
> >
> > http://www.game-ex.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=26632
> >
> > http://www.game-ex.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=26643
> >
> > Respectfully yours,
> >
> > Tim Cleaver
> > 1534 W. Meadowbrook Drive
> > Loveland, Ohio 45140
> >
> >
> >
> >

There's the list to write them.. from the Commissioner all the way down to the board members.

Have some guts to write them.. or just expect the same for years to come.

The umpires seem to be the "Good ole boys club" around here. Don't get me wrong, we have a lot of good ones here in southwest Ohio but we have some terrible ones also. Many very old men who cannot cover where they need to be. Have seen some umps during the sectionals behind the plate who set up on the right of the catcher, way down. They could not see an inside pitch at all. They could guess at best on anything on the inside.

Where are the younger umps who really know the game ?

how does one get on the board? are they tenured like professors?

They are there.. but the good ole boy club works the older guys.

I saw one at a Felicity game.. actually talked to him... He told me he was 71. But, he had the best strike zone I ever witnessed. Consistent... strike zone on the low pitch moved with the batter's height ( as we know there are 5'10" girls and 5'2" girls and the same low pitch can't be a strike for both !!!)

I asked him to come umpire with my group...LOL

It starts from the top and their instruction. ASA and OHSAA uses the same person to be their "State Teacher".... and it's starting to show.

Let me get this right! First batter up hits a Homerun over the fence and is called out because a teammate gave her a High 5 prior to touching Home Plate? I'm not surprised!

Kinda funny that the Blue can see that, and not see an Illegal Pitch all season long.

FASTPITCH! Anything else, And you're playing too SLOW!

how does one get on the board? are they tenured like professors?

Most board members are elected by their peers.. most are AD's, etc...

My local Ohio Senator is on the committee for the Board of Education.. which oversees OHSAA. I have complained to him this past year about how the girls are regulated.. compared to other states.

Our girls are at a disadvantage here in Ohio. Complete disadvantage compared to some states due to regulations on when they can play travel ball, etc...

I'm just waiting for someone with a child to go after them in Federal court showing that disadvantage based on getting playing time regulated so they can't be seen by college coaches. Some states play softball all year long.. and we wonder why over 80% percent of the gold teams are from the south or west.

And over 60% percent of the universities are East of the Mississippi.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

They are there.. but the good ole boy club works the older guys.

I saw one at a Felicity game.. actually talked to him... He told me he was 71. But, he had the best strike zone I ever witnessed. Consistent... strike zone on the low pitch moved with the batter's height ( as we know there are 5'10" girls and 5'2" girls and the same low pitch can't be a strike for both !!!)

I asked him to come umpire with my group...LOL

It starts from the top and their instruction. ASA and OHSAA uses the same person to be their "State Teacher".... and it's starting to show.

OUCH!:eek: But that is so True!:lmao::lmao:

FASTPITCH! Anything else, And you're playing too SLOW!