Ruling Question

daytonfp

Reaction score
Runner on first. Small popup to infield...runner freezes between 1st and 2nd. Fielder misses popup, picks up ball and throws to first. Batter/runner called safe at first. The runner who was on firsts continues to second. First baseman throws ball to second. Ball beats runner to second for a force out. Umpire calls runner safe stating it had to be a tag play...not a force. He maintained that if a play is made at first, regardless if the runner was called safe at first, the play is always a tag play at second. Is that correct??

I figured it would be a force out because the runner did not have the option to return to first because first was occupied by a runner.

Is this some obscure rule that is rarely called because the situation doesn't happen often or did the ump get it wrong?

Inquiring minds want to know.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Bad call. It's still a force out.

I know that a lot of false rule myths get circulated around, but this is a new one for me!

daytonfp

Reaction score
OK good....I think I was starting to loose faith in my entire understanding of the game after that one. :rolleyes:

dmcdaniel

Reaction score
Wow! Please tell me this was middle school or lower?

coachjwb

Reaction score
I don't see any issue with posts like this asking about rules being in the general forum ...

While there are sometimes other sections that are more specific to some topics, I think the only ones that cause people heartburn if they're not in the right section are the teams looking for players and tournament listings ... just my opinion ...

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
How many outs? If less than 2 outs, should the correct ruling have been batter out (Infield Fly Rule), runner safe at second because it would have required a tag in this scenario?

Comp

Reaction score
How many outs? If less than 2 outs, should the correct ruling have been batter out (Infield Fly Rule), runner safe at second because it would have required a tag in this scenario?

There is no infield fly rule with a runner only on 1st.

Stedman00

Reaction score
runner is out at second. force play was still in effect. Hard to believe an ump of a HS game is that inept.