Runner interference at first base ( interference or not?)

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Base runner at second base the batter hit a ground ball to shortstop, shortstop Fields the ball throw to first base, the first basement catch the ball, but due to the runners arms coming over top of the first baseman's arm and hitthing the first basement arm in a downward motion causes the ball to come out the glove and rolling to the fence.

I believe the correct call should have been Runner interference at first base and the baserunner at second should be declared out.

But what happen was the runner at second based scored and the batter advances to second base, the umpire did make the batter go back to 1st base but unsure why she did this.

Just one of the crazy things I seen this weekend.

Maxdad

Reaction score
Based on the description of what happenened and not seeing the play....As long as the BR was within the running lane and made no intentional arm movement to dislodge the ball, my call would be safe at first, play on. No reason for the runner at second to be called out. (Even if there was interference called at first). That would be my call.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Based on the description of what happenened and not seeing the play....As long as the BR was within the running lane and made no intentional arm movement to dislodge the ball, my call would be safe at first, play on. No reason for the runner at second to be called out. (Even if there was interference called at first). That would be my call.

If the batter was running on the inside of the base path, not the outside would this make a difference.

If what your saying corrrect, why would the umpire move the batter who advance to second base back to first base? Did the umpire believe the batter wouldn't have been able to advance, if it wasn't for the contact the batter made with the 1st basemen.

And if that true and you let a player swing there arms over top of a fielder during the catch, wouldn't Coaches take advantage of this anytime they have a running on second or third base hoping to break up a play. I'm trying to understand how a player can interfere with a play that would have resulted in a out but instead turn into a score and a runner safe at 1st base.

I mean I've played teams that deliberately did this when I was still Coaching sometime we would get a interference called and sometime we didn't.

It just seem to me once a batter or baserunner touches another player that causes the play not to be made is some type of interference.

Maybe I need to read up on the rule book. I have another Rule question about Coaches.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Was there a double base? If the fielder was receiving the throw on the inner/white base, and the runner makes contact with her, then it is interference.

Was the fielder pulled up the line toward the runner by a bad throw? I'm having a hard time picturing how the runner would hit the fielder's arm when the fielder's arm is normally well over fair ground and pointing toward the infield. If the fielder suddenly moved into the runner's path, such that the runner could not avoid her, then it's incidental contact and not interference.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Was there a double base? If the fielder was receiving the throw on the inner/white base, and the runner makes contact with her, then it is interference.

Was the fielder pulled up the line toward the runner by a bad throw? I'm having a hard time picturing how the runner would hit the fielder's arm when the fielder's arm is normally well over fair ground and pointing toward the infield. If the fielder suddenly moved into the runner's path, such that the runner could not avoid her, then it's incidental contact and not interference.

I'm starting to believe the umpire felt it was incidental contact, even from what I seen I don't believe the batter intentionally meant to hit the fielder's arm. The fielder didn't move into the runner path, she had her left foot on the inside edge of 1st base. The runner clearly ran on the inside of the bag if she didn't the contact wouldn't have happen. But we're not talking about elite teams playing each other here, so mistakes like that would be more common at this level of play.

But still found it interesting that the umpire placed the batter back on 1st base when she had already made it to second base. That the part I don't understand? The umpire must have felt something wasn't right to take a base away from the batter, but do nothing with the baserunner on second base who scored