SAT- what to give colleges?

Irish196

Reaction score
Can anyone with experience with college recruiting answer this question:

let's say an 8th grader takes the SAT and scores at the national average for college applicants. Obviously, being average is not going to get you anywhere with colleges in terms of being a stand-out scholar. Does it help at all to mention the scores to the recruiter since they will undoubtedly go up as they learn more of the skills tested in high school? Or do you not mention the scores because they are only average? Would the scores count against you if they are not at scholarship level as an 8th grader?

Let's say 2 of the 3 scores were really good but one wasn't - does that change your answer?

Next question- as an 8th grader you have the option of making the scores public or having them purged. Do you purge them? Wouldn't that be more advantageous because there would be no record of them having taken the test before? (is pretty proven that just having experience helps you score better on the next test- and from what I have read, the more times you test, the less weight they give to your high score because it becomes more a reflection of you learning how to take the test rather than what you know).

Last edited:

Outwork

Reaction score
ACT and SAT allows you to take test and not report the scores to anyone. If you do good, then you can later (for a fee) send those scores to whatever schools you want. that's what we did- daugter took ACT 4 times and on her 4th try, we sent those scores to schools after the fact and i think we paid $35 a school?

Note, if you are registered with NCAA Eligibility and send the scores to them, the school will see all the scores but from what i learned, only AD sees NCAA info so it doesn't matter.

Reaction score
I have been through this with my son and can tell you that he took it four times and fortunately improved each time. We also sent the results each time to the same school in which he decided to attend. They advised us that regardless of how many times it was taken and submitted, the highest score would be accepted. This also applies for those schools that recognize the super scores.

Watching22

Reaction score
You should be aware that the SAT is having a major overhaul and will roll out new testing in 2016. The scores she has now will not necessarily equate to scores in the future with the new exam as they are going back to the old 1600 score scale, and the essay is optional. Make sure if she is doing any additional tutoring that she is working with a program that is aware of the changes in each subject area!

Last edited: