Scholarships left for late signing period?

I was talking to a parent last week that told me that there won't be any money left for scholarships in the spring signing period. I dissagreed with him, but was wondering what everyone else thought about this? Are the majority of scholarships gone by then for D1 and D2? D3 and NAIA are different but is that all that's left? If not what percentage is gone 70% - 80% - 90%? The Kent showcase is coming up soon so will these coaches be looking at left over seniors or mostly next years recruit class? Anyone have any better info or thoughts?

There might not be money left at the powerhouses, because the Blue Chips have taken it. However, my experence is that most funded schools will still have money available. When I say funded , I mean the number of positions they have been allocated by the school.

Example: Div 1 is permitted 12 positions (full scholarship) by NCAA. That doesn't mean that they have 12 scholarships funded. They may only have 4. You do the math.

Most programs we have worked with are looking to package financing to maximize the athletic money funded. They will look at every available source of money before tapping there athletic scholarship monies. This means study hard get a good SAT or ACT score, apply early for FAFSA, Work Study etc. My DD could have picked up another $3000 yearly by scoring 1 point higher on the ACT (hers was 23 needed 24).

Once you get a scholarship, you then have to keep it! Every year you will have the "Meeting" with the coach who will evaluate your performance and value to the program. He will then decrease, increase, or leave your schoalarship the same or cut you.

My advise is to find a school you love and then get the athletic ride, many, many athletes only play a year or two in college, for alot of diffrent reasons.

Good Luck!

See at the College Games!

There is not going to be a cut a dried answer to this question. A percentage of the scholarships are signed, with another percentage having verbal commitments. Combined I would GUESS these to total at least 75-80%. (the emphasis is guess). There will still be colleges looking for players even through the summer. Players change their mind, decide they no longer want to play, never achieve the necessary test scores, become ineligible, there are any number of reasons that players in all sports don't or can't follow through on a commitment leaving an opportunity for someone else. There will still be opportunities. What may be a larger issue for some players, is by waiting too long, athletic money may still be available, but scholarships/grants awarded by the university for non-athletic purposes may not.

Remember that athletic scholarships are renewable each year. If the player proves to be valuable and more money is freed up, the chances of an increase are greater.

At our meet the team, our speaker for the event was the Head coach of Central Michigan. (they beat Michigan in 2005 btw lol ) She said they always leave a scholarship for the late signing period incase they find a gem. If they dont use it, they split it with somebody that is on a partial or something to that affect.

I dont know how many are given out in the late period,but I do know Schuster from ellwood signed with PITT last may.